Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you booked your next trip, and now have buyer's remorse?

Nov 7th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Sweating

I scored a great deal on tix to Ireland this past weekend, and of course the news continues about inept security at the airport- a guy gets through with knives and a stun gun while legit travelers are getting hassled. And naturally they are non refundable. Has anyone else hit the confirm button and now wishes they hadn't?

Nov 7th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Thyra

Heck NO!!!

Nov 7th, 2001, 04:13 PM
elvira

Nope.

Nov 7th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Shadow

I can kinda relate. We are going to the Olympics-a life long dream!! We live in Calif. so no airfare, and we're taking our motorhome so no hotels. But, I could have gone to Europe for my ticket ALONE to the Closing Ceremonies.
Yep, at $885 A TICKET there is a lot we could have done. (Please I don't need anyone rubbing it in...) BUT, I did say it is a life long dream, so I don't know why I am just not as excited as I thought I'd be. Maybe as it gets closer..? I still wish I was planning another trip like this summer's trip to Ireland, London and Paris with 8 friends! And, I am still spending money on warm clothes (not cheap, by the way).
I guess I am a bit afraid I will have paid so much money and be freezing in the stands! (I was cold this summer in Paris in the evening-does that tell you anything?). We are also going to the Women's Final Ice Skating (the BIG night), Women's Downhill Slalom, medal ceremonies, Ski Jumping and 4 men-bob sled! As it gets closer I hope to get excited about just being at an Olympics!
But, right now-I wish I was planning a trip to Europe.....
Shadow

Nov 7th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Mary

You won't regret going to the Olympics! I felt the same way you do in 1988 before we went to the Olympics in Calgary, but after we got there and went to a few events we were hooked! It was a fabulous experience! There are people there from all over the world and it seems that they have brought a little bit of their country with them. You will get to talk and visit with these people and get to learn about where they come from. It is a magical experience and you won't regret it one bit! Have a great time!

Nov 7th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Duke

I am heading to Germany on 11/28 to visit the Christmas fairs. Looking forward to it. You have to live your life and get on with it. The deal in Afghanistan will be going on for years and I am not going to live inside my house until they tell me I can come out again. If I do...they win.

Nov 7th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Mel

I've been planning a trip over for late February 2002 and NEVER even considered not going--giving in to this crap would take away a vital pleasure (necessity) in my life--travel!

Having said that, however, we're flying to Orlando in a few days to do WDW with our daughter and 2 grandsons and I have been a bit nervous about that--only because it involves my beloved family. But how do you tell two little angel boys that the trip is off???? So, it's on and we're now excited!!

Nov 7th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Heidi

Well, my remorse dates back to 2000 when I bought a ticket to Australia, just before the Olympics, etc., and then backed out at the last minute... last minute meaning I was in L.A. when I chickened out... what a drag that was! And $1,500 poorer, too. I'll always regret that decision.

Nov 7th, 2001, 06:41 PM
peewee

I was *oh so* close to pressing that confirm button but then my wits returned to me. I ran like a bat out of hell to hide under my bed, whimper and suck my thumb. That's where I am now and where I'll remain for the foreseeable future.

Nov 7th, 2001, 06:57 PM
JOdy

NO NO NO>>>>>>>>GO, If your time's up, it's up and you can't do anything about it!! Read Appointment In Samara by John O'hara!!!!!!

Nov 7th, 2001, 07:30 PM
Sue

Absolutely not!!

My original trip was for Sept 14th to Greece and that was cancelled as there were no international flights at that time.

I booked another trip to Greece & Turkey right away and just returned. No problems anywhere!

No regrets and I've already booked a trip to Spain & Portugal for April/May.

Just do it!!
Sue

Nov 7th, 2001, 08:32 PM
Dauntless

Have two tickets to Paris in April, hotel reservations for a great corner room with a balcony big enough to seat two people-watching baguette munchers. After Sept.11th and subsequent news of continuing airport security screw-ups, husband of 21 years has chickened out, a decison initially resulting in less than cordial marital relations and diminished estimation of his character. Have since revised my stance. Now see trip as offering previously unforeseen possibilities.

Nov 8th, 2001, 02:25 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

We have in hand plane tickets to Paris for March (I hope I remember where I put them when the time comes!). I am a fatalist-if it is my time that is it! But it could be my time on the way back from Paris and I would have missed it!

Nov 8th, 2001, 03:02 AM
john

Have booked: Hawaii--next week,Las Vegas--January, Buenos Aires/Rio--February, Key West--March, Amsterdam--April, Turkey--May, Mexico--October. The only one I am having second thoughts about is South America and I have decided that my uncertainty is because I have never been there. (That, and the fact that CNN is reporting lots of terrorist training activity/support there.) I guess most fears come from the unknown. I also don't have fear of being part of a mass attack, but rather the target of some detanged individual on the street who impulsively decides to commit some act of violence against me as a representative of the US. None of this casuse me from hitting the "confirm" button. If I could find that button, I would probably have something booked for next summer.

Nov 8th, 2001, 03:03 AM
john

above detanged = deranged

Nov 8th, 2001, 03:07 AM
Sweating

Thanks, Shadow, that makes me feel a little better. (That's more than twice per ticket.)

Nov 8th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Vita

Sweating, Can I ask what your great deal was for Ireland and where you got it? I have a friend that's trying to find cheap airfare.

Nov 8th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Lidija

On Sept 9 paid for my tour portion of Eygpt. While I wouldn't hesitate to travel to Europe I wish I hadn't gone into the travel agency that paritcular Sunday. As it stands now I will still be doing my trip but who knows what can unfold over time and will have to make a decision when it gets time to start looking for airfare.

Nov 8th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Christina

I like the Olympics but who is getting all that money, that's what I wonder? That seems unconscionable (and I wouldn't pay it on principal but that's another story; the city itself begged for this event as they knew they'd make a lot of money from the tourism). I lived in Los Angeles when the summer olympics were there and I got to see the marathon for free as it was right on city streets (and I lived right near the beach so it was just a few blocks walk to see them when they ran along that route). It was fun and an experience, but that's the thing to do, see the marathon for free. I'm not a paranoid or excitable person so don't consider risks any higher now that before, in fact, they are probably less due to increased security. It used to be they knowingly let guys on board with knives (which still amazes me). Some hassles, I'll agree and some of the searching seems silly as the only ones willingly complying like lambs are the innocent ones, of course (I'm thinking of some searches I endure here in Wash DC, where I live, at minor Smithsonian museum evening classes--meanwhile I went to a public event/awards ceremony at the National Press Club a week or so ago and there was no scrutiny at all, no bag searches. I frankly got a little nervous about going to that as that's a highly visible place and the press has been targets and that was the week they were predicting imminent action, but I did go. I've flown several times since 9/11 and am going again to the Caribbean for Thanksgiving, I just dread the long checkin.

Nov 8th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Stephanie

Sweating: I have not booked it yet, will as soon as my mind is made up on where, but there will be no remorse when I do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO