Have you been to Pertuis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings--In reading about some different villages in Provence we have not visited in the past, Pertuis comes up. I haven't read much about anyone's personal experience there. If you have been and have some thoughts about it as an afternoon visit, would you please share your experience. Thanks.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Hi Robyn,

Probably at least driven through Pertuis a hundred times...

It's a nice enough small town, bigger than your average village in the area. Relatively bustling with lots of commerce and perhaps less of the uniquely tourist oriented shops. There are some interesting medieval features to see as well, but I wouldn't say the town has the 'Wow' factor of some of the villages nearby (Lourmarin, Cucuron, Ansouis)...

If you are in the area, you could certainly stop and have a look around, though I wouldn't go out of my way and personally, I'd only do so if you have already seen the above mentioned.

- Kevin
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kevin--and I appreciate your mentioning Cucuron and Ansouis--2 villages we haven't been to in the past--was going to do a bit of research on those, so please do tell of your feelings on those--good spot for lunch, fave sites or things to see and do there. Merci.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 04:51 AM

Robyn, if you're spending some time in this part of Provence, I suggest you buy a wonderful guidebook to the Luberon written by Bob and Sue Winn. It's available on their website at www.provencebyways.com. One of their suggested driving loops is on the south side of the Luberon and includes Cucuron and Ansouis; the book provides lots of detail about each area and what to see and do. There's also a restaurant list.

Other than stopping once at an ATM, I've never felt inspired to stop at Pertuis... I think it's more of a working (real) town. But you might consider a stop at the winery Val Joanis. http://www.val-joanis.com/ In addition to having good wine and a large tasting room, they have a very interesting garden that incorporates vegetables, fruit, and herbs into a landscape garden. The gardens are open to the public... it's a beautiful spot and just outside Pertuis.

Kathy
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Kathy--I'll check the book out immediately. We have been to Provence often but there are always new things to discover. Any special thoughts on Cucuron and Anouis anyone?
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 07:17 AM

I've been to both villages and think they're both well worth a visit. They're just a few miles apart, at the southern foot of the Grand Luberon... quite different from each other.

Cucuron has a unique pond/basin (l'etang) in the village, surrounded by plane trees and several restaurants/cafes. Here's some info on the village: http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/vaucluse...on/cucuron.htm. We had an enjoyable lunch at one of the restaurants a few years ago. There's a more famous restaurant there, La Petite Maison, but we haven't eaten there yet. http://lapetitemaisondecucuron.com/

Ansouis is designated one of the most beautiful villages in France and it's really beautiful, quiet and peaceful. http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/vaucluse...is/ansouis.htm There's a castle there, which I believe recently changed hands. It's open for visits on specific days/times: http://www.chateauansouis.fr/

Kathy
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
you can see Cucuron in the Film A good Year
We dined at Petite Maison, tres cher!
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:08 AM

We have only driven through and around Pertuis, so no real info to pass along.
RE: Cucuron. We visited the Tuesday market late one day and were enchanted by the scene. The large pool (l'etang) is unique and along with the large overhanging trees, made for a delightful setting. We explored the village and found several local artisans with nice wares. The restaurant mentioned above-Le Petite Maison- is very popular and we were not able to partake as they were fully booked during our stay in Lourmarin- so reservations are a must. We liked our visits to both Ansouis and Cucuron.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There's a cafe there were we had lunch outside.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Cigale---I have seen that movie at least 10 times--and have actually looked up in the past where it took place but had totally forgotten. Well--u can bet Cucuron will be at the top of our list and of course, we will go to Ansouis as well.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 01:14 AM

Robyn,

Ansouis is a little postage-stamp size jewel of a village. It'll take you 15 minutes to walk the whole thing and there are lovely views from the top. If you can, take a tour of the castle, which is an interesting mix of medieval and renaissance architecture with loads of history. One of the best restaurants on that side of the Luberon is in Ansouis - the "Closerie". Reservations are essential.

Cucuron is quite different in feeling. It's bigger and less perched. Aside from the Etang others have mentioned, it's well worth walking around as there are lots of well preserved Medieval features. Also, go by the olive oil mill for a tasting. It's one of the best in the Luberon.

- Kevin
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone--you have put several items on the itinerary which sound perfect for us.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM

We stayed in Vaugines, 2km from Cucuron, in fall 2010. Drove through Pertuis on the way to Aix and didn't think it look particularly interesting. Cadenet, also nearby, is not on the radar, but has a 12th century church and a museum of basketry, once the dominant industry. There's a market on Monday, I think.
We ate at Restaurant de l'Etange in Cucoron; lovely spot and pretty good food. I think the owners have now taken over the Petite Maison.
Tuesday is market day and there's a local caveau.
Here are a couple of web sites. The first has great descriptions of dozens of Provence villages:
http://provenceblog.typepad.com/prov...g_by_provence/
http://www.restaurantletang.fr/
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the provenceblog--it's wonderful for our plans and we love the little off the beaten track ideas. Now I'll be glued to my ipad for a change--lol--it's the fun of planning!