Have you been to Kathleen's Irish Night?

Apr 18th, 2001, 09:32 PM
Patti Suttle

Have you been to Kathleen's Irish Night?

I had wanted our group to attend the banquet dinner at Bunratty on our first night in Ireland but they are booked. It was suggested that we attend "Kathleen's Irish Night" at a hotel nearby. I'm sure it would be a pleasant evening but I wanted to be sure it was not "too touristy". Yes, the castle dinner can be touristy (its my 6th trip to Ireland) but it is still different from what we are used to and our friends have never been to anything like it. But, we will be visiting pubs most nights in Ireland and if Kathleen's is not something different maybe I'll rethink that. Or does anyone have any ideas for the Bunratty area for our first night? What do you think of Durty Nellies? (even after 5 trips I have never been!!!)
Thank you for any advice or information.
Patti

Apr 18th, 2001, 10:16 PM
Marsha

There is another castle banquet in the Bunratty area. The Knappogue Castle Banquet program has 'Women of Ireland' as its theme. Reservation contact, same as Bunratty. The folk park also has an Irish Ceili evening -- maybe that's "Kathleen's." I enjoyed the Bunratty banquet a few yrs ago and have made a reservation for Knappogue next month. (your question appeared under 'Europe' but not 'Ireland' -- might limit responses...)

Apr 19th, 2001, 04:15 AM
guy

Just returned from Ireland and as a matter of fact stayed in Bunratty last Wednesday night before heading out to Doolin and the Cliff of Moher. Toured the castle but did not do the night at the castle. Also, much of the Bunratty Park area around the castle was closed to the public due to F&M. I did stop in
@ Durty Nellies for a bit about 10:00 p.m...It was very busy ..people eating and slugging down pints of Ginnis..a veritable and reknowned Irish Pub to be sure..Next to the Fitzpatrick or Fitzgerald Hotel (I forget the name of it..but it is one of these)...is a nice restraunt called Gallaghers which was recommended by the bar tender in the hotel...However we could not get in without a reservation and did not want to wait 45 minutes for a table. It did look very nice however and the menu looked great.

Apr 19th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Patti Suttle

Guy-what kind of impression did you have of Durty Nellies? Was there any music?
Are you saying that the Folk Park is closed?
Gallaghers sounds great-thanks for info. on reservations.
Thanks!
Patti

Apr 19th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Cathy

Patti,
Here is a tip from an Irish person - a lot of locals head for the pub in the Folk Park in the evening time for a quiet drink while the tourists head to Durty Nellies. The restrictions in place to [prevent the spread of Foot and Mouth to the Republic has resulted in areas where there are animals that the public might come into contact with being closed ie Zoos and Folk Parks with animals etc but they have been lifted and for further information you should check out www.ireland.travel.ie

Hope this helps, sorry I haven't experienced KAthleen's Irish Night and can not help on that matter

Cathy

Apr 19th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Patti Suttle

Cathy-thanks for the information. We will be a group of 10-8 of which have never been to Ireland (It is my 6th trip-my mother lives in Roscommon). We are staying at Bunratty Lodge on our first night and I really want something fun for my friends on their first night.
Unfortunately, the banquet at Bunratty is full as well as Knappogue. So, our choices are the "Traditional Irish Night at Bunratty", Kathleen's Irish Night at a hotel in Bunratty or ?
I am trying to get them the best craic for their first night in Ireland!
A pub with more tourists such as Durty Nellies does not sound like what I am looking for. I am looking for "the real thing" if you know what I mean.
Thanks to you and all for helping.
Any other ideas would be great or if anyone has been to the Irish Night such as Kathleens or at the Folk Park.
Thanks!
Patti

Apr 20th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Patti Suttle

topping

Apr 20th, 2001, 11:35 AM
edie

Hi,

we couldn't get reservations for the bunratty banquet, so we had dinner at the Oyster Bar in Durty Nellies (they have two dining rooms, this one is less formal and less expensive, but still had nice food) then we got bar stools in the bar area and waited for the music to start. the music was fun, but it was definitely Irish music designed for American Tourists, ie: Danny Boy, that kind of thing. but it was quite fun. we hadn't been doing much touristy stuff, so we enjoyed it. it definitely had a "disneyfied" feel to it, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the food was tasty and the music fun.

edie