Search

Have you been to Case Gialle?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you been to Case Gialle?

Hello,
I'm planning a trip to Italy next April, and we're considering staying at Le Case Gialle outside Bevagna in Umbria.

If you've been there, I'd love to hear about your experience! Basically we're looking for a beautiful, relaxing place to spend 5-6 days between a whirlwind 2-3 days in Florence and then several days of visiting Italian family.

I'd love to hear about your experience with the apartment and the hosts, if you did much walking/biking and where you went, what nearby sights you would recommend.

Thanks in advance for the help!
melissa
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Hi mmb23

If you type in Le Case Gialle in the search box, you will find lots of good information going back several years.

I stayed there in 2005 with 4 friends for one week in late May-early June. I chose LCG because I had read good things here and on the Slow Travel site; their website was appealing; after one experience in an agriturismo in Chianti I wanted to do it again; and we wanted to stay in Umbria.

What we liked:
The location was great, with easy trips to Assisi, Montefalco, Perugia, Spello, Bevagna (where we did lots of our food shopping) and other Umbrian towns.

The set-up (apts w/in a farmhouse) was ideal for our group of 5; we wanted 2 separate apts not one large house.

We loved the portico with the long wooden table where we dined outside and lived our little Italian dream!

The small pool was a nice place to relax.

The roses were in bloom and the herbs were growing. Silvana taught us how to fry sage leaves gently in prosecco. Yum.

The views across the olive groves were lovely; Montefalco in the distance above wooded hills, Assisi lit up at night visable from the end of the road...

The organic olive oil is yummy!

In late May the fireflies were thick and magical (we don't have them where we live), flickering through the olive groves.

Full moon for my birhtday!

Mauro and Silvana are multilingual and helpful, with lots of tips on places to eat, etc. Mauro is an expert on the local wines & wineries.

We also took day trips to Florence and Siena from Le Case Gialle. The day we went to Siena we also went to Sant'Antimo and Montalcino, which are not close but certainly doable.

The only thing we didn't really like was the loaf of Umbrian bread delivered each morning. Umbrian bread is unsalted and frankly we thought it was tasteless. But like idiots we never thought to just TELL the hosts to stop delivering it!

A lovely place!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Oh, we didn't bike but did hike on some of the trails from the property. We also liked the hike up from Assisi to the hermitage where St Francis lived and meditated in tiny caves. Very mystical (you can drive to the hermitage, too, but the hike is not hard and the views are nice).
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 06:22 PM

mmb23,
we stayed at Case Gialle last year in May.
We liked: The gardens (fabulous roses and a lovely elevated view) The hosts were helpful. We did enjoy the Tuscan bread and english language papers delivered in the mornings! We were two families with children, and the kids liked the freedom that the secluded setting allowed them. Camilla the donkey, chickens, that sort of thing. It is a relaxing setting, with simple but adequate accommodation. There are nice walks from the houses into the olivegroves down the road. Montefalco was where we ended up most evenings after visiting different Umbrian towns, and it is an absolutely wonderful place. Make sure you visit the church with the musical nativity scene and mummified pilgrims remains!
What we didn't like was the plumbing problem in the bathroom. The shower didn't drain well, and there was a very bad odour spreading into the cottage the whole time we were there. We were on the ground floor, the upstairs apartments may not have this problem (probably something to do with the septic tanks.) I hope this has been fixed. Apart from that, the cottages also felt like they could do with a good spring clean.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 05:39 AM
DRJ

We have stayed with Mauro and Silvana several times in the past eight or so years. Wonderful people and a very nice place.

I buy Mauro's olive oil (a couple of six packs a year) since he has won several Italy wide competitions. He has seven hundred trees going down the east slope. In fact, I am his US agent for olive oil sales (although I have never had to do anything except receive a notice from the USDA). Enjoy.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 07:43 PM

We stayed there this past May. It is an exceptionally beautiful place. Serenity, flowers, pool, lovely hosts. We stayed in the studio cottage, Isolina. It has a double bed and a pull out bed. The cottage was furnished simply, yet lovingly. It was the cleanest place that we stayed in our month long trip to Italy. We will return.

susan
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you--this helps a lot!
I'll keep you posted on what we decide to do.
Best,
Melissa