Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

have you been in Paris when the museums employees have been on strike? Any response on this matter greatly appreciated.

have you been in Paris when the museums employees have been on strike? Any response on this matter greatly appreciated.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:28 AM
rich

We were in Paris last Oct. & the museum employees went out on wildcat strikes each day. We left after 5 days. Anyone know if other cities also strike when Paris does. We will be in Paris for 10 days this Oct. & Lyon for 5. Has this happened to any of you & how did you more wisely handle it. What do you suggest as a way of checking strike status in other sectors. Anyone familiar if there have been any work actions recently or talk of the possiblity. Please help. Would be 2 sad people if wee went 2 years in a row withour museums. Thanks a million for any information.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:40 PM
Joyce

During my first trip to Paris a few years ago, most of the museums were on strike, including the Louvre. These were some things I did:

- Took almost all the walks in the "Paris Walks" book I had brought with me.

- Spent a day at Chartres: I visited the Cathedral (took a guided tour there), and also walked all over the town.

- Took a day trip to Versailles (the tour guides there were not on strike).

- Visited several small private museums that were open despite the strike. The best was the Jewish Museum in the Marais district. Paris has over a hundred museums, and they do not all close when the Louvre and Orsay close.

These are some other suggestions:

- Take a boat ride on the Seine

- Visit the Eiffel Tower

- Watch the artists in Montmartre

- Take a day-trip to some Loire chateaus. Many are only an hour away from Paris by train.

- Take a day-trip to one of the other Cathedral towns, e.g. Rouen, Reims.

I never ran out of things to do during my trip.

I returned to Paris 2 years later, and to my shock, the Louvre workers were again on strike! Fortunately, the other major museums were open. Then midway through my trip the Louve was able to find enough workers to staff one floor, so I finally got to visit the place.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:23 PM
Sue

Rich, I was in Paris last October also. I didn't realize the museums were on strike for the first few days, as the ones I happened to go to happened to be opened those days. I didn't know it until I tried to go to the Louvre. I was there 10 days, and it was finally open my last day. I never got to the d'Orsay or Rodin - but Versailles was open off and on, so I went there. I did get to the Carnavalet, Picasso, Cluny and a few more smaller ones. I was back in Paris this May, and everything was fine - no strikes! I felt the same way you do, and was very relieved.

Sep 20th, 2002, 09:15 AM
rich

Sue thanks for your posting about museums being closed in Paris in Oct. we,re going again in oct. If it happens again Iwe will take the guided walking tours 10 Euros p/p & day tours out of paris. And then cut my throat. www. lesgreves.com tells of every grievance imaginable but not about any upcoming strikes in museums or transportation.
Of course the dining eases the pain.

Sep 20th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Michelle

We missed out on seeing the Uffizi in 1994 because of a strike. Luckily, we got to see David the day before.

Several years ago, our National Parks in the US were on strike. I remember seeing foreign tourists(French??) whining on TV about coming all this way to see the Grand Canyon and missing out because of the strike. I thought at the time - "TOO BAD, NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS!!!" Better luck on your next trip to the USofA!

Mean Spirited Michelle

Sep 20th, 2002, 12:12 PM
tttt

Topping!!!

Sep 20th, 2002, 06:27 PM
tttt

Topping

Sep 20th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Sharlyn

Go to the Hotel de Crillon and have a wonderful Bloody Mary.

Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:28 AM
rich

Helloe Michelle, Boy I agree with your feelings about whining French tourists in usa .We sloshed thru the rain & took day trips out of paris. Disappointed but not whining. Just p.od. Does anyone who can translate lesgraves.com have ;any info about muni strikes between 10/4 &10/13. When Paris goes on strike do other cities like Lyon follow suit. Thanks for any help.

Oct 4th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Jean

In April of 2001 there was a strike during the 8 nights & days we were there. However, we did get to everything we wanted to see except for Musee D'orsay which is my very favorite one.

We tried 4 times to catch the Musee D'orsay, and it never worked.

One day one museum will be open, and the next it was closed. We learned to ask people such as the desk clerk at our hotel if "such & such" was open that day. (They heard the news & so were able to tell us). Also, on Palm Sunday, a shopkeeper called a museum to see if it was open, which saved us a needless trip.

While there, virtually every major museum was closed at least once or twice, but we saw everything except for the above-mentioned exception. However, we visited other museums which we would never have thought to have visited because they were open. For example, the Museum of Textiles which is near the Louvre. It was great!

Oct 5th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Andrea

It is exactly for that reason that we always go to sights in priority order - so that hopefully, if something unforseen prevents us from seeing something, we can see it another day.

We went to Paris 2 years ago in May, and the Louvre was closed due to strikes. It was not a big problem for us, because we'd both been there many times before, but I was very sad for the groups of tourists who were only there for 1 or 2 days & missed the Louvre.

Oct 5th, 2002, 11:49 PM
alex

Rich(and others):
You should find an english language version of Lesgreves at:http://strike.infogreves.com.

Given the penchant of the industry to strike, it's a good resource to remember.

Oct 6th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Ira

alex offers
>You should find an english language version of Lesgreves at... <

Amazing! A website devoted to listing all of the strikes in one country.

Oct 9th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Luis

I was in Paris in May 2001, when the workers at the Louvre went on a wildcat strike. I rememeber standing on line on a somewhat cool, rainy morning for 90 mins. waiting to get in. Then they let us in and there was no charge!..But, alarmingly.. the guards with in the museum were also not watching anyone, so any kook could have taken a can of spray paint..and desecrated the Venus De Milo or Mona Lisa, if they had wanted to.. Just use common sense.. and decide if the lines, possible risks are worth it.

Oct 9th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Heidi

We were in Versailles last November, and since we went on an organized tour, the company agreed to refund our money when we arrived at the site and the building was closed. We were permitted to tour the ground, but no one could go inside. Fortunately, I had been twice before, but my husband had not. He was a bit disappointed, but you have to be flexible when you're on vacation. No matter how well you plan, something always manages to go wrong.