Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have two days in the Italian Lakes-Como or Varena?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Debby

We're arriving into Milan from the USA early in the morning and we have 2 days we plan to spend in the lake district. i know what Rick Steeves says, what are your suggestions?<BR><BR>How about the Albergo Terminus in Como? Seems like it's easy to get to when we will be tired. We can then go to Varena and Bellagio the next day unless you all have better suggestions.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Debby<BR><BR>

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Wayne

Debby--<BR>If that sounds OK to you, it's certainly a pleasant way to go. The city of Como isn't all that far from Varenna, so I'd personally opt for going straight to Varenna and staying there, in the Albergo Milano right on the lake. There's plenty of time to rent your car and drive from Milan to arrive at Varenna around noon. Once you are in the car and driving (which i assume you will be doing) then going to Varenna isn't all that much farther. Besides, you'll want to stay awake all day on that first day, maybe taking it easy and lounging on a balcony overlooking the lake, then sleep well the first night to lose the jet lag.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:14 AM
GAC

I agree with Wayne's comments, since it is not necessary to split you two day stay on the lake between two hotels. However, I offer two comments:<BR><BR>1. Como is a city, while Varenna is a fisherman's village. Can't compare the two.<BR>2. Hotel Terminus in Como is a four-star, air conditioned, recently refurbished, elegant grand hotel, while the Hotel Milano in Varenna is a three-star, intimate, romantic,secluded, family-owned and run bed and breakfast right on the water, with only 8 rooms and no air conditioning. If you want air conditioning, stay at the four-star Hotel Du Lac, also on the water, also small (17 rooms), intimate, romantic, secluded and quiet, but nearly twice the price of the Milano.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Joe

Debby: Once you are in Como, you are not that far from Varena. Como is, well, city-like. Varenna is everything that Wayne and GAC say it is. A first night walking down to get a gelato and wander the water's edge in Varenna beats anything you will do in Como. If you can wrangle a lakefront view room, going to sleep with the moon over the lake and the lights across the lake, well, you will think you are in Heaven. I would go for the Milano; charming and well located. What a way to start your trip in Italy.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Debby

Thanks for the advice. I've decide on Varena and hope ot find a room with a view.<BR><BR>Debby

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 02:48 PM
GAC

Remember to spell Varenna with TWO n's!