Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have the EU countries adopted the only one bag thru security rule?

Nov 18th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

I have lost track of the discussion about carry-ons being taken thru Europe. Last spring you could still go thru Frankfurt, Germany airport with one carry-on PLUS a purse. (I know you couldn't do that in England.) Has this changed? (Leaving on Thursday and can't find the discussion with the Search feature. Sorry.)
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:40 AM

Still OK with one bag plus purse. Your airline should give you current information, but I came back Toronto/Amsterdam/Toulouse Thursday with carry-on, purse, books, coat etc., and had no problem. They announced in Toronto only one carry-on, and so I checked to confirm I could still have my purse, and they said fine.
Nov 18th, 2007, 05:46 AM

The only carry-on policies you need to keep in mind in Frankfurt are those of your airline.

There are no security rules in Frankfurt re. the number of carry-ons - besides the well-known restrictions for liquids.
Nov 18th, 2007, 06:32 AM

No, and the UK is easing its rules on Jan 7, 2008.
Nov 18th, 2007, 07:09 AM

I know people have had problems in London with a purse and one carry-on actually equaling two carry-ons. But because of the Air France strike, we went from Rome to Milan to Frankfurt to Heathrow to Dulles. Four flights...three different airlines) I had two small carry-ons (one I tell them is my purse....a biiiig purse) and I was never stopped once for too many bags in any of the airports. Maybe I was just lucky, I don't know.
Nov 18th, 2007, 07:12 AM

I just read an article about security measures in the UK, and note what rkkwan said above -- this rule is going away even in England.
Nov 18th, 2007, 07:12 AM

UK is different.

But in the rest of Europe, you can take as many items as you can carry through security.

Airlines may have restrictions regarding the number of carry-ons. Som low-budget carriers (like Ryanair) have become strict in order to make extra money.

With regular airlines like Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, SAS, AirFrance, Alitalia etc. I never had problems, even in Economy Class, and I never watched anyone having problems (and I have Frequent Flyer status).
Nov 18th, 2007, 07:33 AM

The UK ISN'T really relaxing its rules in January, except in the most trivial and pedantic sense.

From January 7, the universal UK one-bag rule will be lifted if and only if the Department for Transport agrees, on an airport by airport basis, that security will not be compromised.

BAA is reported this morning to have admitted that none of its seven airports will be fully ready on time, though unattributable reports claim its Fast Track channels at Heathrow for first and business class ticketholders will be ready on Jan 7, so travellers in the posh seats will be able to carry more than one bag.

As far as I'm aware, no non-BAA airport (such as Manchester, Birmingham, Luton and London City) has made any announcement yet about whether they will be approved by then.

As
Nov 18th, 2007, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the update, flanneruk.
Nov 18th, 2007, 08:12 AM

We have been through Heathrow six times this year.
Each time we had put our second ,"small" carry on into a bigger carry on for a few minutes until we went through the security.
Then, we took it out...what a joke the
whole thing is ...
Nov 18th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I just wanted to be sure. Hate to get caught on these things when it's too late to do anything but throw (good) things away.
Nov 18th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Even though I didn't have a problem with my 2 carry-ons in Heathrow, I would suggest that anyone traveling through there follow the one carry-on rule because I guess most of the people going through do get caught.
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:17 AM

What does it mean if you "get caught" at Heathrow?

I have a flight Milan to Heathrow (assuming the Italians don't strike again), connecting to a flight from Gatwick to Dallas. Since I have to collect my bags in Heathrow to bring them to Gatwick, I'd prefer to just carry-on to Heathrow, then maybe check at Gatwick.

Anyone done this?
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM

geeper - You can carry as many pieces of carryon into LHR. [Like separating your stuff into 10 different bags before arrival.]

What you can't do for now is go through LGW security with more than one carryon piece.
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:52 AM

MAnchester have stated that they are applying for thr elaxation of the one carry on rule. They are removing some of the landside retail space to allow for extra security stations, therefore making it possible to cope with "the extra Work of more than one bag". Probably won't be ready in January though.
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:27 AM

<<< What does it mean if you "get caught" at Heathrow? >>>

You

a) repack into 1 bag
b) check extra bags
c) throw extra bags & their contents away

Which you choose depends on how much time you have and how embarassed you feel