Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Have I been Reading Too Much?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/have-i-been-reading-too-much-677459/)

zoellner4 Feb 6th, 2007 06:57 PM

Have I been Reading Too Much??

Our trip to Germany is approaching fast. WE leave Feb 26. I have been reading so much I can't remember what and where I have read information about Gemany. So, Here's my question. I thought there was a town that had a Christmas Market year round. True? What town is it? Nuremberg? I want to go there. Any thoughts?

Travelnut Feb 6th, 2007 07:14 PM

You may have been reading too much, but you haven't been <i>writing</i> enough!
There's a store in Rothenburg that bills itself as a Christmas village, open all year round. Just google for it.

tmh Feb 6th, 2007 07:24 PM

Theres ia a store - Kathe Wohlfahrt- in Rothenburg. There are 3 stores there.

Dukey Feb 6th, 2007 08:36 PM

And they are similar to a lot of the Christmas stores you see elsewhere; just be aware of the electrical items' differing voltage.

traveller1959 Feb 7th, 2007 01:36 AM

There are many towns in Germany with year-round Christmas stores:

- Several stores in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Herrngasse.

- The town of Zella-Mehlis in Th&uuml;ringen (were wooden artifacts are handmade).http://www.thueringen-hotel.com/tisw...EX||OBJEKT_THU)

RufusTFirefly Feb 7th, 2007 03:13 AM

Just note that these are Christmas stuff stores, not Christmas markets.

Mrs. Fly is a Christmas decorations groupie, and kaethe wohlfahrt's stores were one of the highlights of Rothenburg for her.

zoellner4 Feb 7th, 2007 02:46 PM

So, What is the difference between the Christmas Stores and the Christmas Market?

RufusTFirefly Feb 7th, 2007 03:07 PM

A store is, well, a store in a building that is open all year. Christmas stores sell Christmas decorations and such.

Christmas markets are generally outdoors in tents or temporary wooden buildings in a market square and usually operate from around the last week of November or first part of December up to Christmas. Though there is some variation in the opening/closing period depending on local custom and profit motives.

Christmas markets will sell all sorts of stuff (crafts, clothing, etc.) intended as Christmas gifts, plus Christmas decorations. Christmas markets will also have food stands, hot wine stands, etc.

Christmas markets might or might not have entertainment, visits from Santa, carnival rides--depends on the size of the market.

zoellner4 Feb 7th, 2007 03:32 PM

Oh, Cool. What is the best Christmas Market?

Pegontheroad Feb 7th, 2007 03:42 PM

There was also a K&auml;the Wohlfart in Heidelberg. I wouldn't be surprised to find these stores in other German tourist destinations.

cls2paris Feb 7th, 2007 06:13 PM

there is a K&auml;the Wohlfart Christmas store in Nuremberg, I think there are a few others in Germany also.

And, for you trivia lovers - there is only non-Europe shop and it is in Stillwater, Minnesota. It is smaller than the German stores I have visited but still a great place to go for fun Christmas gifts.

RufusTFirefly Feb 8th, 2007 05:49 AM

zoellner4--There are so many Christmas markets it would tough to pick the best.

But here's a good website:
www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk They already have some dates posted for 2007 markets, though we've found it a good idea to verify the dates.

Ones we've enjoyed:

Nuernberg: One of the oldest, biggest, and best known markets. Very crowded, but for many people that's part of the fun. Has lots of special events.

Bamberg: Smaller market, more traditional, less glitzy than markets in some bigger cities. The city is also known for its &quot;Route of Nativity Scenes&quot; at that time of year.

Berlin: Has several Christmas markets, some with special themes. We liked the one at the Gendarmenmarkt a lot for the quality and variety of unique hand crafted items, and the entertainment.

Of course, there are dozens of Christmas markets that we have not been to.