Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Have chance to go to Turkey and Pari in April May--Weather? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/have-chance-to-go-to-turkey-and-pari-in-april-may-weather-960303/)

WhistlerNorth Dec 24th, 2012 11:02 AM

Have chance to go to Turkey and Pari in April May--Weather?

I have an opportunity to get a good airfare to Turkey from Vancouver including a stop for a week in Paris on return route. Would be leaving April 18th and have 3 weeks in Turkey til May 11. Then a week in Paris until May 19th. Need some advice as to weather or should we do this mid September 11th until Oct 13th. Would be first time to Turkey and Paris.

adrienne Dec 24th, 2012 11:10 AM

April and May are a great time for both Turkey and Paris. Istanbul may be a bit cook in mid April but it should be hot in the south. Suggest starting in southern Turkey and working north toward Istanbul.

Michael Dec 24th, 2012 11:13 AM

Take a look at my trip report on Turkey; click on my name to find it. We were there in May, and the weather was fine although too cool for swimming on the coast near Ephesus. Inf act, the coastal national park was empty.

otherchelebi Dec 24th, 2012 01:58 PM

The advantage of April/May over September/October is the longer daylight hours and of'course the waking up of nature in all its glory. September/October, on the other hand will be warmer and will give you some good beach time in Western and/or Southern Turkey.

Istanbul will have a wide spread tulip festival in mid April.

This is a good time for cheaper accommodation and better sightseeing at historic locations outside Istanbul. However, you should have a light rain proof hoody windbreaker with you possibly with a removable warmer lining for the nights and for Cappadocia.

Paris and Istanbul are good combinations to compare food, night life, river Seine vs. Bosphorus cruise, architecture, services, hotels, prices, etc. I hope you will write a trip report afterwards.

The Turkish countryside has a great deal to offer in terms of historic and natural sights and deserves good planning. Most incoming tourist trips concentrate on the major and better known locations, but I hope you will have time to read some of my trip reports which cover also some less traveled but highly recommended locations.

Sassafrass Dec 24th, 2012 02:03 PM

Boy! That time would be just about perfect for both, IMHO. Both fabulous places to visit!

kja Dec 24th, 2012 05:01 PM

I was pleased that my 25-day trip to Turkey was in May and a bit into June. You might find some helpful information in my trip report; just click on my name to find it.

It's a wonderful destination - enjoy!

WhistlerNorth Dec 26th, 2012 04:04 PM

I just booked my flight so arrive April 18th for 22 days. So now I just have to figure out where to go. Sounds wonderful. We usually are independant travellers and I would like to do it here as well. We are 59+ and very active but my Husband a bit nervous.

Sassafrass Dec 26th, 2012 04:11 PM

My DH was hesitant also, and we have traveled a good bit. Turkey turned out to be his favorite trip ever. People are lovely and so helpful. Istanbul is beautiful and Cappadocia special beyond words. Food - fabulous! We would both love to live there!