Have any suggestions about this trip

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have any suggestions about this trip

In 2007 my wife and I are going from Amsterdam to Paris,we will be there sept 10 for our 25 wedding anniversary, from there to Venice then to Munich for Oktoberfest then flying back out of Amsterdam. I am doing this trip by car. Any suggestions would be great.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:56 PM
P_M

How much time do you have? This is a lot of ground to cover.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:59 PM
P_M

Regardless of how much time you have, it's a heck of a long drive from Venice to Amsterdam. It would make a lot more sense to buy an open jaw ticket, where you fly into one city and fly home from another to avoid backtracking.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks P M We have 3 weeks, I like that open jaw ticket
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:20 PM

We did the leg from Paris to Amsterdam and I would highly recommend the train. They put us on the THAYLS line, and it was like the old-days on a good airline. We had a meal service, free liquor, snacks and really could enjoy the countryside. We did the same going back to Paris and it was every bit as nice...I would never drive if all trips were that nice. You seem to want to cover alot of ground and the distances are going to keep you driving to your destinations instead of really enjoying the cities you are planning to see. I would check out the alternatives. Also, keep in mind the cost of petrol is per liter not per gallon and it is astronomical! Hope you find a good way to enjoy it all.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Three weeks is not very long for FOUR countries - and especially so if you drive it. You don't need or want a car IN Amsterdam, Paris, Venice or Munich. In fact a car would be more trouble than it is worth in those cities. You could use one for day trips out of Munich - but even that isn't necessary. Trains will be faster (by far), easier, and probably cheaper.

So if you plan on sticking w/ those four cities - trains or a combination of trains/low cost flights make MUCH more sense than driving.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:34 AM

Why don't you fly into Amsterdam and out of Munich? If your tickets aren't already bought, this could be a good solution. You could even add the time you would have spent driving back to Amsterdam to some other part of the trip.

I would probably take the train from AMS to Paris, then fly to Venice, then train it to Munich. That way, you'd be able to go to all the cities you want and actually see something!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:19 AM
ira

Hi Sm,

I also suggest train from Amsterdam to Paris.

Fly Paris ORY to Venice VCE on www.myair.com (More convenient than Ryanair).

Train Venice to Munich. Nice ride over the Alps.

Fly home from Munich.

See www.kayak.com for open-jaw flights.

Have a nice visit.