Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have an Entire Day to Drive from Assisi to Siena - where would you stop?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive in Rome next Friday morning (!) and are staying in Assisi that evening. I would think we will have enough time to enjoy Assisi on Friday.

Saturday morning we have the entire day to get from Assisi to just outside of Siena. We are not able to check in until after 5:30ish that afternoon. We have a rental car and a GPS and my husband is not nervous about driving pretty much anywhere.

We have been to Tuscany twice and will be spending a week at the place we are staying at near Siena so I think we will have ample time to tour around that area. We have been to Orvieto before.

I was looking at the map this evening and pondering Perugia or perhaps some places around Lake Trasimeno? Or something completely different? I would love anyone's suggestions. Is there enough time to "drop in" to Perugia - see something interesting or eat something delicious (we're amenable to either!) plus stop somewhere around the Lake area? Or stop somewhere else?

Thank you very much for any of your ideas!
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM

Hello PurpleNeon, my first thought was Perugia when I read the title of your thread. I love Perugia but not knowing what your interest are it is hard to really give an answer except to say what my choice would be.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you LI - Perugia was what I was considering as well.

I'm not sure what to say about what our interests are. We are mid-30's, active, foodies, wine-ies, like scenery, enjoy museums, but are equally content in a nice cafe watching the world go by or doing some window shopping. We are quite low key travellers from the perspective that is doesn't bother us to wake up and look at each other and say "hmmm, what do you feel like doing today?"

A colleague spoke of how much he enjoyed Perugia and gave some eating and shopping tips. According to the map we could seem to drive right past/along Lake Trasimeno - so that sounded sort of interesting too.

My original plan was just to sort of wing it - stop in Perugia and if we are enjoying ourselves for most of the day then afterward just zip over to Siena. And if it doesn't hold our attention for most of the day then we would head out and just kind of meander toward Siena.

I thought I would post the question in an effort to avoid a future conversation that might sound like "you drove RIGHT past the most wonderful/best/prettiest/etc ..... in Umbria and you didn't STOP?"
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 09:16 PM

My first reaction is for you to seriously consider how much time you will actually have in Assisi. Arriving after a long flight(?) into Rome and driving to Assisi will surely take most of the starch out of you and may delay your arrival significantly.

Perugia is fine but it is a large city with its centro necessitating some effort to get to--read more driving, parking and escalator use if you can find it. Consider Cortona as well--its smaller and a bit more accessible once you get there. But you may just need the time to complete your tour of Assisi, a place you have already made a lot of effort to see. Sometimes we hurry to another spot when we should stop and appreciate where we are. Enjoy-Paul