Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Have 3 hours in Paris need help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/have-3-hours-in-paris-need-help-278641/)

Cali Dec 10th, 2002 03:06 AM

Have 3 hours in Paris need help

Hi! I have a stop in Paris that will give me about 3 hours from when I leave the airport till when I need to be back for my next flight. Since I've never been to Paris I would really like to take advantage of that time. I would like to do some walking around the city, seeing some sights, and do some shopping if possible. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what is fairly close to the airport and what is the best way to get there- taxi or train-what stop to get off at etc. I leave tonight and would really appreciate some help. Thank you so much! :)

Barbie Dec 10th, 2002 03:14 AM

Cali, supposing you'll land in Charles de Gaulle Airport, just forget about it. <BR>3 hours is ways too short to even think about going downtown.<BR>Get a coffee and do some window shopping at the airport.<BR><BR>I wouldn't even consider going into the city from Orly which is much closer with only 3 hours. <BR><BR>Sorry, but that's the way I see it.<BR>

Sue Dec 10th, 2002 03:23 AM

In complete agreement with Barbie.

John Dec 10th, 2002 03:24 AM

I just returned from Paris and it does take about 45 minutes to get into the city (latin quarter/st germain des pres) via a cab as there is substantial traffic. You can try the RER and exit at the St Michel station, which is near the Notre Dame, but I still think that it will take you about 45 minutes (although it is 10 euros, as compared to 50 euros by cab). Either way your time is limited, so you'll have possibly enough time to see Notre Dame and do minimal shopping. I would suggest as below, stay at the airport, or try to expand your layover.

kate Dec 10th, 2002 03:39 AM

Cali - agree with all of the above, you are out of luck. Better just plan on hanging around the airport and visiting the duty free shops.

Andrea Dec 10th, 2002 03:49 AM

Personally, even if I only had one hour in a new city (especially one as great as Paris), I'd do it in a heartbeat! <BR><BR>I think less your commute you'll have about one hour - just enough time to pick ONE place you most want to see. You can shop on the way to and from that place or after you've seen it.<BR><BR>Personally, I would recommend you go straight to Place de la Concorde. It's my favorite single spot in Paris. From there, you can see down the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower, across the Seine to the magnificent Palais Bourbon and some of the most stunning apartments in Paris (well, perhaps not the MOST stunning, but I've always looked on them very wistfully), through the Tuileries to the Louvre, and beyond the impressive Hotel Crillon to L'Eglise de la Madeleine.<BR><BR>It's also historically interesting since it's the site of the guillotining of Marie Antoinette, Danton, and many, many others during the revolution (when it was named, appropriately enough, &quot;Place de la Revolution&quot;!)<BR><BR>You're also less than one minute away from Fauchon, which is a shopping destination for foodies. It's a faboulous store bursting with items you'll want not only for gifts but for yourself (don't forget to pick up some Creme de Cassis - which comes in a great bottle - so that you can make Kirs and Kir Royales upon your return). (There's another great food store right next door but I can't remember the name). There's also a great, typically Parisian shopping arcade between the Hotel Crillon and Fauchon - perhaps if someone knows the one I mean they can give you better pointers.<BR><BR>You're also at the start of the mecca of cheap tourist stores along Rue de Rivoli.<BR><BR>From there, you can then try to hit one other major destination if you want (you could pretty easily walk down to Notre Dame).<BR><BR>I recommend against going to the Eiffel Tower unless you truly feel compelled to TOUCH it. You'll be able to see it just fine from Place de la Concorde, and you can get a good picture of yourself with it in the background from the bridge.<BR><BR>Best of luck!

Barbie Dec 10th, 2002 04:06 AM

Hm... Andrea, well I think, it makes a BIG difference, whether you're familar with a city or not. Cali seems to be a first timer. So, I really think it's too risky with such limited time.<BR><BR>And the shop you're thinking of next to Fauchon is probably Hediard.<BR><BR>Cali, I don't know what time you'll arrive, but don't forget that most upscale shops don't open till 10 AM, whereas they will be open at the airport.<BR>Have a nice flight and bring warm clothes. It's terribly cold over here.

tricky question Dec 10th, 2002 04:13 AM

I agree with Andrea that Place de la Concorde is a great place to visit, but I'm not sure that, logistically, it would make much sense trying to get there and back within 3 hours from CDG.<BR><BR>Getting a taxi may be quickest, but if it gets caught in rush hour traffic it may take well over an hour to get into and out of the centre of Paris. I used to work on the outskirts of Paris on the route to CDG airport, and traffic there was often very congested.<BR><BR>Getting the RER train is another option, but of course this will not take you direct to Place de la Concorde, and would involve changing onto the Metro at Ch&acirc;telet, which has to be *the* most confusing and difficult station to negotiate (and it's huge). <BR><BR>The third way of getting into central Paris is to take the Roissybus which leaves every 15 minutes from each terminal at CDG, and would probably take around the same time as a taxi (but at 8 euros each way, it's much cheaper). It drops you by the Opera house, just a couple of minutes walk from the famous departments stores on Boulevard Haussman. But the disadvantage is that, like a taxi, if the traffic is bad, it could take ages.<BR><BR>Overall, I would tend to agree with most of the other posters here - it probably isn't worth the hassle going all the way into Paris, as once you get there you'll probably just have to turn round and go all the way back out again.

SA Dec 10th, 2002 04:33 AM

W/the traffic &amp; all in Paris it would be best to stay @ the airport. Not even enough time to get your bags &amp; find a cab in CDG.

Ira Dec 10th, 2002 04:43 AM

Hi Cali,<BR> Keep in mind that since you will have to clear customs and immigration on the way out and again on the way in that you might not have three hours.<BR><BR> If you can do it, take Andrea's advice.

mjs Dec 10th, 2002 06:44 AM

Agree with Barbie. Traffic can be a problem if you take a taxi or bus. Getting through security and immigration at the airport may also be issues, especially if traveling out or into the European community. Remember you will also board your flight before your scheduled departure time. I would not even consider it. What happens by the way if you miss your flight?

Susan Dec 10th, 2002 06:53 AM

Cali, Just in case you're still considering this, here's another vote for not even trying! It took our cab an hour a 20 mins to get into the city in heavy traffic. Also, as far as what time you think you need to be back at the airport, you can't predict how long it will take you to get through security and check in again. I'd say there's a very high probability that you'd miss your flight!

paul Dec 10th, 2002 11:05 AM

just remember that if you have to handle your luggage, CDG is a potential nightmare. My flight from Atlanta involved getting on the bus from a remote landing area for an additional 20 minutes delay into the terminal and immigration (2 lines lots of waiting) and then an hour while they lost our luggage and then sent it to the wrong carousel. It can happen!

John Dec 10th, 2002 12:05 PM

International flights usually begin boarding at least 40 minutes before the scheduled departure time... and departure time is when the plane backs away from the gate, not the time the wheels actually leave the runway. Be sure to factor that into your decision to leave the airport.<BR>Another thought..if you are connecting from the States THROUGH Paris to another city you may not even be allowed to leave the area, because of immigration/customs restrictions.

xxx Dec 10th, 2002 12:14 PM

Agree w/SA.

Myer Dec 10th, 2002 12:31 PM

Let's take the opposite view.<BR><BR>I'm not sure we know which day of the week or what time. If we are well out of rush hour I would be tempted to give it a shot. Carefully.<BR><BR>Air France bus from CDG to the old Opera Building.<BR><BR>Give yourself no more than 30 (40 max) minutes to walk through Place Vendome and over to Place de la Concorde and the bridge. See the Eiffel tower and Arch de Triomphe from there.<BR><BR>Get back to the Opera and take the bus back. Quickly.<BR><BR>No shopping.<BR><BR><BR>

Christina Dec 10th, 2002 01:21 PM

I might try this, but I know how to navigate around Paris very well and wouldn't spend any time trying to figure that out -- I'd just get on the RER and go to St-Michel/Notre Dame stop.<BR><BR>However, Cali has never been to Paris, so I don't think I'd recommend it at all, myself. YOu certainly couldn't do walking around, seeing sights and shopping in such a short time frame (which might optimally be one hour in town). There is plenty of shopping at CDG. <BR><BR>The Air France bus doesn't go to the opera, it goes to the Arc de Triomphe (for one place, a few others), which would be an option, all right -- go to the Arc and hang out on the Champs-Elysees. The city-run Roissy bus goes to the Opera. Both buses are subject to traffic and scheduling delays, more than the RER, so I don't think I'd suggest that. If you wanted to go by regular roads, I'd suggest springing for a taxi as the quickest, easiest method, rather than a bus (but that's an expensive hour in town).

Belinda Dec 10th, 2002 05:28 PM

We did it once. Had a glass of wine across from Notre Dame and then accidently took the wrong RER back to CDG. Guess what!

Mike Dec 10th, 2002 05:33 PM

Don't stretch it. Spend the day and catch a flight the following morning. You'll thank yourself.

StCirq Dec 10th, 2002 05:42 PM

Stay at the airport unless you know Paris very well. My last two flights into Paris I got stuck in traffic because of accidents, took more than an hour to get to the train station, and missed my trains. One was a weekday, one was a Sunday, when traffic would normally be very fluid. Three hours is simply too short a time to make even a brief foray into Paris with any certitude unless you are savvy enough to figure out alternatives if something goes wrong. Next time, Cali.....