Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HAVE 10 DAYS:AMSTERDAM,BRUSSELS AND LUXEMBOURGH -WHAT TO DO???

Old Jul 13th, 1997, 09:12 PM
IRENE

Hi,we have 10 days in Europe :Amsterdam,
Brussels and Luxembourgh.Please tell us what are
the best places to go and things to see so that it
would stay in memory for a long time.Does it make any sense to take a 1-day trip by railroad to
Cologne,Dusseldorf or anywhere else? We appreciate any advice.Thank You.

Old Jul 14th, 1997, 02:13 AM
Pj Schott

cologne is depressing. great coffee & torte, but 90%25 destroyed WWII. in brussels, have a drink at the hotel amigo. maasstricht in southern holland (1/2 way between brussels & cologne) is MAGIC. in amsterdam: haven't been there in 12 years, but used to go frequently (i'm half dutch). there's a great foreign bookstore on the damrak (leads out of central station). On the dam is a terrific department store. has everything including a reasonably priced coffee bar. off the dam also, near the hotel there is a liquor bar call Wijn & Fockink. Fabulous. Classy cocktail hour at the Amstel Hotel. The flower market on the canal is not to be missed. The American Hotel (Leideseplein) used to be the best place for morning coffee. Foreign newspapers, spacious, friendly. Hazelnut mocca pastries. An aperitif called Advocaat (you eat it with a spoon). Indonesian restaurants (loempia with sambol -- huge eggrolls with hot sauce). The red light district (watch your valuables, but not really dangerous). I don't usually do touristy things, but a canal ride at night is divine. Vondelpark is beautiful.

Old Jul 14th, 1997, 03:08 AM
Joćo MARTINS

Brussels is a lovely city. Here some suggestions: where to stay : Hotel Amigo (expensive but in the heart of Brussels); Hotel Metropole; Conrad Hotel (Louise). You will find also lower budget hotels like Ibis and Astrid. What to see : Grand-Place***** absolutely marvellous - 'son & lumiere' every evening; St. Michaels Cathedral; Royal Palace and Parliament; Musée des Beaux-arts; Cinquantenaire Park and Museums; Atomium, Park and Royal Greenhouses; Church of Sablon and Square - this for antics shops - and Louise. Out of Brussels: Tervuren Park (by tramway, beautiful scenery, and Leuven, by train. Where to eat: "Chez Leon" (for mussels, near Grand-Place, but avoid this area: expensive because of tourists and not so good); "Pre Sale" (rue de Flandres); Fish restaurants at Place Sainte-Catherine and (if your budget is high) "Comme Chez Soi*****" and "Villa Lorraine****" - book well in advance. Also, at Louise - upper town -, rue Jourdan has good restaurants, but a little expensive. Try also Stirwen and Vimar (fish) (near EU Headquarters). What to drink? BEER! Belgium has many sorts of beer (and cheese) : from "kriek" (cherry) to "framboise", "geuze" to "chimay". My preferred one is "Hoegaarden Grand Cru" that is a spicy white beer quite strong. Try one sitting in "La Chaloupe d'or" at Grand-Place or at "Sablon Square". You ask about Cologne : well, I've a very bad impression about this city... You should stay in Belgium, take day-trips to Brugge*****, Leuven, Antwerpen, Gent, Liege Namur or the Ardennes. Closer to Belgium than Cologne is Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle) which has so many things to see. Belgium has an excellent rail system (departures to anywhere at least a train every hour). Luxembourg worth the visit, very beautiful city in a dramatic valley, very clean, very rich... Have nice summer holidays. Joćo

Old Jul 14th, 1997, 03:47 PM
Tricia

Hi, We too are going to Holland and I have a neat little book that has Hollands most UNUSUAL hotels and thought you might smile like I did when I saw De Brouwe van Stavoren, world's smallest hotel, (one double room with all the luxuries)its in Frisian Stavoren, tel 05959-1600, or spend a night in an oak wine barrel at d'Olde Kamp, in Ansen, tel 051497 1202, or a prehistoric accomodation called Bronze Age Farmhouse in Lelystad, tel 03200-51756. Call your long distance operator to get dialing instructions. And last but not least we are visiting the West Frisian Islands, whose climate is milder than the mainland, with attractions heavy on watersports, cycling and beaches. There are 5 inhabited islands. There are fancy hotels, pensions, campgrounds, and trailers all for rent. Take a ferry over, use bicycle to get around.
Terschelling is the island we are visiting and most of it is a wildlife preserve with a town square that hasn't changed in a hundred years. When I called Hotel Europa I could hear the Church bells ringing
in the background. Hotel Europa serves breakfast and dinner for only $50 a night. Kids in separate room, they'll use my shower, only $30 a night. There is also a Golden Tulip Hotel on the island, which is a mid-price chain known all over Holland.

Old Jul 14th, 1997, 03:57 PM
Tricia

Hi, We too are going to Holland and I have a neat little book that has Hollands most UNUSUAL hotels and thought you might smile like I did when I saw De Brouwe van Stavoren, world's smallest hotel, (one double room with all the luxuries)its in Frisian Stavoren, tel 05959-1600, or spend a night in an oak wine barrel at d'Olde Kamp, in Ansen, tel 051497 1202, or a prehistoric accomodation called Bronze Age Farmhouse in Lelystad, tel 03200-51756. Call your long distance operator to get dialing instructions. And last but not least we are visiting the West Frisian Islands, whose climate is milder than the mainland, with attractions heavy on watersports, cycling and beaches. There are 5 inhabited islands. There are fancy hotels, pensions, campgrounds, and trailers all for rent. Take a ferry over, use bicycle to get around.
Terschelling is the island we are visiting and most of it is a wildlife preserve with a town square that hasn't changed in a hundred years. When I called Hotel Europa I could hear the Church bells ringing
in the background. Hotel Europa serves breakfast and dinner for only $50 a night. Kids in separate room, they'll use my shower, only $30 a night. There is also a Golden Tulip Hotel on the island, which is a mid-price chain known all over Holland.

Old Jul 17th, 1997, 07:31 PM
Gary Nagler

Have been to Amsterdam several times. First thing to get acclimated is to go on a canal bout tour -- it gives you a flavor of inner
Amsterdam, and will give you ideas on what to go back to. Don't miss Madurodam -- a replica of Amsterdam and surrounding areas on miniature. Also, the Hague is most interesting - can spend a day there. Of course, the Rijksmuseum is a must, and Madame Tussaud's is interesting. Other things: a house that has the paintings of Mesdag (a picture in the round that you seem to be in), Anne Frank's house, Kinderdijk (windmills), Rotterdam (a city nearby that was nearly bombed out and rebuilt during the war), Delft (where they make the pottery) and the Red Light District (but leave the kids home if they're with you!!). I suggest you try Rijstaffel (rice table), a type of food where you have lots of small dishes around a lot of rice. Amsterdam is a very friendly, interesting town. Have a great time!