My husband and I will arrive France early May and our tinerary is almost complete.
After spending 2 weeks visiting Lille, Bruges and the Alsace region we'll spend several days with friends in Carmaux. From there we'd like to spend our final 4 nights near Cauterets seeing Pont d'Espagne and Lac de Gaube and relaxing before dropping our car at Pau and flying home.
Our dilemma: I've been checking weather conditions regularly and reading comments about visiting there in May. It seems snow may still be in the Lac de Gaube area until early June. One comment also indicated that the lifts sometimes don't operate. We also aren't keen on walking around the lake in the snow. (We've done enough of that this year in Canada!) An alternative would be to continue on to the Pays Basques region instead which we also enjoyed very much on a previous visit.
Would anyone have information or opinions regarding access to Lac de Gaube in late May? We have accommodations booked but not paid for. Or should we plan on visiting the Pays Basques area instead?
Any opinions and/or recommendtions will be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris November 2017
- 2 Self Drive UK tour
- 3 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 4 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 5 Two week Europe itenirary help
- 6 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 7 Netherlands, Brussels and possibly Luxembourg
- 8 Airport Transfer
- 9 Help with Country House Hotel Christmas 2018
- 10 Rail vs. Plane
- 11 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 12 5 nights in Spain, need help!
- 13 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 14 hotel reservations in Switzerland in June?
- 15 Where to See Flamenco
- 16 US dairy vs European Dairy
- 17 Arezzo - how much time?
- 18 2 week May trip with kids
- 19 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 20 Room in Boppard with a Rhine view
- 21 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 22 New Years in France
- 23 Easter Week in Italy
- 24 8 day flexi Swiss pass
- 25 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do