Haute Marne accommodation - St-Dizier, Nancy, Troyes, Bar-le-Duc, Chaumont

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I intend to visit a WWII war grave (of Lancaster bomber crew) in the village of Laneuville-a-Bayard - now mainly referred to as Bayard - in the Haute Marne region of eastern France, south of St-Dizier and about half way between Troyes and Nancy. I will probably be travelling by public transport and have been intending to stay at St-Dizier, which is close and has bus and train connections (according to the www.bahn.de site), but if anyone has a personal recommendation for accommodation/ an interesting town elsewhere in the area - bounded by say, Troyes, Bar-le-Duc, Nancy and Chaumont - and even if it would involve car hire, it would be much appreciated .
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Well, that makes it easy, St-Dizier it will be. Perhaps if I'd only thrown in a line about hotel toilets ...
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Another go at this as it's back on the agenda for next year - has anyone on this forum been to St-Dizier, or the region?
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Resurrecting this again as I might at last get the chance next month. Anyone know the area? If travelling by public transport (bus) from either St Dizier or Chaumont it appears I would have to spend about six to eight hours in Bayard, which is a long time to sit around a grave - assuming not much else on in a village of that size (about 1500 people in the commune in 1999) on a Sunday (may not even support a church service) - so may take a taxi for the 30km or so round trip from St Dizier - but what chance on a Sunday?
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Anyone know that broad area?
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Was planning this on the Sunday after a stay in Paris, but have now decided to do the round trip on a weekday instead while in Paris when there are more services/ less turnaround time (as might be expected), arriving at Bayard at around 1230 or 1530 and departing at either 1700 or 1800 for arrival back in Paris at around 2000 or 2200.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Hello Farrermog, please post a trip report after you do this - it looks like you will be the resident expert on this area pretty soon!

Lavandula
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Lavandula - yeah, there's certainly not a lot of competition here!
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 02:18 AM

Hello Farrermog. Sorry you had to post so many times without a response; I check Fodors pretty regularly and have somehow missed your repeated posting.

I can not help you with your specific town, St. Dizier, as of this date. However, I am absolutely smitten with Nancy and can hardly wait to get back, and may make a trip for Valentines day. Place Stanislas is truly one of the most beautiful squares I have ever experienced; the Musée des Beaux Arts has a superb collection (dont miss the crystal collection down in the old wall foundations under it); the people of Nancy are very friendly, and the restaurant choice is exceptional.

We have passed through Bar-le-Duc several years ago and I remember saying I wanted to come back and explore it more. Don't personally have hotel/restaurant recs here.

My husband has 4 days and we may drive around and explore more of the region like St. Nicholas de Port and maybe towards Toul/Bar-le-Duc. I will add more if we happen to get to St. Dizier.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

klondiketoo - thank you very much for your response - I'll probably do the return trip to Bayard from Paris and won't overnight now afterall, but I'd still be very interested in your comments if you get to the broader area thanks - and Nancy happens to be one of the places I'm thinking of visiting after Paris on my relaxed (I'm hoping) round trip back to Brussels for my flight out.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also a fan of Nancy - click on my name for my French TR including Nancy and recommending the Hotel des Prelats.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Thursday - really enjoyed your report of your trip through eastern France.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 03:27 AM

thursdaysd, I looked at the Prelats web site and didn't like the way the bathrooms were open to the room. We prefer a door between the bedroom and the bathroom. Are all the larger rooms at the Prelats like that?
We stayed at the Hotel Crystal, which is more modern in style. It was very pleasant, a 2 minute walk from the train station and an easy walk to the Place Stanislas. We're going back in June and will probably stay there as it also has AC (just in case we need it).
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FoFoBT - as best I remember my room had a door to the bathroom, but it was probably a single. If it matters to you, you'd do better to ask the hotel - I'm in Asia and can't check my notes and in any case it's not something I worry about since I travel solo.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

FWIW did this return trip to the Haute Marne village of Bayard involving three trains and two buses quite easily, as it turned out, today from Paris. The helpful customer service person at Gare de l'Est confirmed my plans to return via Joinville (further down the track) to allow extra time at Bayard and ticketed the round trip (69 euros), whereas the SNCF boutique at 54 Bd St Michel had just the other day advised that each sector on the way back would have to be purchased on the spot. Just as well that wasn't the case as Joinville was unattended by early evening and the five minute change of train at Vitry le Francois ended up being about a minute, enough time to cross the platform but not to buy a ticket as well. Because of the short crossover time at Vitry I had decided after consulting with a local at Joinville to also 'composte' the Vitry-Paris ticket at Joinville - this was also just as well as there did not appear to be a machine nearby on the platform at Vitry at the brief changeover and I may have been hard pressed to explain to the conductor with my limited French - <b>if any expert, local or otherwise has read this far, how is that sort of thing handled? </b> Presumably the best strategy is to 'composte' all sectors at the first opportunity - assuming you are fairly sure you will be doing all sectors on that day - or appeal to the European Court of Justice.

Anyway, again FWIW, the visit to Bayard was a welcome change from the bustle of Paris and my aunt for whom the war grave (only recently located) is of great sentimental significance was thrilled to receive my call from the public phone next to the church and graveyard, even if she is in her 90th year and it was 2.30 in the morning in Australia.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

Anyone? Others could face the same dilemma. Or is the answer in the bloody obvious category?
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

For future ref - appears that only sectors in the same direction can be 'composted' at the same time - ie at the start of the journey, only those of the outward journey.