Hauntings in Ireland?

Jan 16th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Hauntings in Ireland?

Anyone have any stories of anywhere we should check out? We'll be in the West and Southwest. I know there are non-believers out there, and I'm not saying I do or do not believe, I'd just be interested in going somewhere that's supposedly haunted. Thanks!
Jan 16th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Outside of Limerick there is a town called Rathkeale where you will find the Castle Matrix.
We were booked to stay there three nights, but only stayed two because there were so many supernatural things happening.
My boyfriend who didn't believe in anything that he couldn't touch was even spooked and was glad I insisted on checking out.
It is really the most haunted place I have ever visited, let alone spent the night in, it is a long story that amazes friends when I tell them and it all happened - there were three of us to confirm it.
Jan 16th, 2004, 09:57 PM

Natalia, tell us the story, please! No fair whetting our curiosity .
Jan 17th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Ballyvolane House, located in Castlelyons, County Cork, offers you an ideal combination, to snoop-around for a resident ghost while also overnighting in a most civilized country house.

Ballyvolane is a quietly elegant accommodation, featuring gardens, trout lakes, a very quiet atmosphere. It has six rooms, one of which is supposedly haunted. Prices are moderate, with no added charge for any supernatural entertainment.

Ballyvolane is part of the highly regarded "Hidden Ireland" group of private-owned accommodations. Check out http://www.iol.ie/ballyvolane/

Best of luck.

P.S. If memory serves, Ballyvolane was featured in a video series titled An Irish Country Calendar. The four-part series is very well done, well worth owning, and includes a reference to Ballyvolane's long-time spirit resident.
Jan 17th, 2004, 08:46 AM

WillTravel, it is a long story and I would probably have to end up defending my sanity here, so I wont go into detail, but here is one part.
It was the end of the season and we were the only guests and had the guest floors to ourselves. The second night we gladly heard a group of young girls dragging their luggage and giggling and go into the room next to ours. We heard them off and on all night whispering and softly laughing but we were glad to have the company of fellow tourists, because of other really eerie things that had happened the first night.
When we went down to breakfast in the bright cheery breakfast room I asked the owner about the group of girls who had checked in, she spoke to her boyfriend and they both told us no one had checked in, we were still the only guests. We told them about the girls and they said that that room next to us was the "haunted" one. I had wanted that room when we first checked in good thing I didnt ask to have it.

The one happening is just a small part of the things that we saw and heard and felt and I couldnt bear to stay there a third sleepless night.

Jan 17th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Natalia,

Is it supposed to be a good haunted place or an "evil" haunted place?

I'm intrigued!
Jan 17th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Natalia, thanks for the story.
Jan 18th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Natalia, if you have the time I'd love to hear the story. You can email me at [email protected]. Otherwise, I'll have to just imagine! But it sounds incredible!
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:07 AM

I was wondering when you stayed at Castle Matrix in Rathkeale & if they are still accepting bookings? My husband & I stayed there in the late 1980's & had the best time. I read that the place has become somewhat run down. What was you opinion? Thanks!
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Well there is Leap Castle in Co. Offaly which is supposedly one of the most haunted castles in Europe and the history/story behind it is quite chilling. Don't know if you could get in for a tour though it is privately owned and not a hotel or open to the public.

Kinnity Castle in Co. Offaly is also reputed to be haunted. It is a hotel. My wife and I have stayed there twice and never saw evidence of this but some of the locals we talked to swear it is haunted.

Mark