Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Haunted hotels, B&Bs & castles in Ireland?

Feb 12th, 2001, 08:32 AM
maya

Has anyone stayed at a hotel/B&B/castle in Ireland that's reported to be haunted and have you personally experienced anything strange? I work in a hotel that has a ghost so I've become a bit fascinated by staying in reportedly haunted spots. I'm visiting Ireland later this year and I'd love to include such a place in my itinerary.

Feb 13th, 2001, 05:36 AM
maya

Just thought I'd ask again. Anyone?

Feb 13th, 2001, 06:03 AM
barb

Just curious--do you really think your hotel has a ghost and if so, why?

Feb 13th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Jan

Maya,
You shoudl check out the website
http://www.afallon.com/ireland.htm

It has stories and places that are haunted in Ireland.

Jan

Feb 14th, 2001, 06:33 AM
maya

Thanks Jan for the site. I'm going to get more information about that castle.

Barb, sure I believe we have a ghost. Lots of odd little unexplained things that happen all the time. Sure you can find rational explanations if you want to, but it's more fun to believe in the ghost.

In our case, back in the 1800's a man who was born & raised in the hotel fell to his death, after saving a child who had crawled out onto the roof during a winter storm. Ironically the part of the roof he slipped off from was on the third floor, right above the room he had been born in. During his lifetime he had been a tap dancer and today guests often tell the front desk they hear someone tap dancing outside their door.

Mar 13th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Brenda

Yes, I stayed in a haunted castle hotel with my two children ages 10 and 12. We were staying in a suite with a living room and two bedrooms. While I was getting something out of the car, both children were watching television in the living room. My daughter's backpack was on the sofa next to her. It started to rock back and forth, faster and faster until it flung itself off the sofa onto the floor. When I returned to the room I was greeted by two very white-faced children frozen by the door to the suite. They stammered and stuttered and then told me what happened.

One bedroom had two twin beds and one had one double bed. All three of us slept (or tried to sleep) in the double bed that night.

We chose the hotel because it was supposed to be haunted and the ghost had a reputation for being playful.

We got our money's worth!

Mar 13th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Judy

Hello Maya, no, but it sounds very spooky, and I love scary things!
Brenda: that story gives me chills.
I am curious about the replies you get.
They had something on "Curious World" on the Travel Channel(I do like that show however)about hauntings in Ireland and Scotland...very interesting. IMO, Judy

Mar 14th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Meg

I'm curious about this too! Brenda, what was the name of the hotel you stayed at?

Mar 14th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Brenda

It was Ballygally Castle Hotel in Ballygally, Northern Ireland. If you email me directly, I'll tell you what room.

Mar 14th, 2001, 04:04 PM
OOH!

Any one else? This is awesome!