Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   HATS! The Royal Sort-of-a-Wedding (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hats-the-royal-sort-of-a-wedding-519852/)

Cassandra Apr 9th, 2005 09:55 AM

HATS! The Royal Sort-of-a-Wedding

My gracious! What a treat to see all the millinery whimsy! I think it's time for the US to re-think our philosophy about hats for women. I mean -- some of those were amazing (notice I didn't say "beautiful")!

Kate Apr 9th, 2005 10:09 AM

Oh Hats are great. Most women wear hats to weddings in the UK. I think it's a great tradition - I always wear one.

radiofanatic Apr 9th, 2005 10:13 AM

my 89 year old grandmother called me up just to say - what are those people thinking with their clothes and hats - they are awful! then she went on to say how awful it was that Fergie wasn't invited. Gotta love it!

Kayb95 Apr 9th, 2005 10:14 AM

I loved the hats! Wish it was a tradition here in the US. I love looking at the photos from Royal Ascot every year, too. There are really some outrageous confections there! :)

Scarlett Apr 9th, 2005 10:19 AM

I too love a good hat, but while The Dutchess of Cornwall looked just fine, the feathers on her hat looked like little arrows..was that deliberate? was that weird? I did like her outfit though :)

cambe Apr 9th, 2005 10:28 AM

My favorite was Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, she looked tremendous

crefloors Apr 9th, 2005 11:05 AM

I thought the hats were fabulous!!!!! I love hats but don't wear very often..I HATE "hat hair". I'm not a member, but I occaisionally go to a Red Hat Society affair with a friend who is a chapter queen..it's fun because I have a reason for wearing a fabulous hat!!!!!!

Bedar Apr 9th, 2005 12:03 PM

Camilla's hat was made of wheat, not feathers. Looked great.

Patrick Apr 9th, 2005 12:06 PM

We have a very well known local realtor who is enormously overweight. She always wears big dramatic hats. You never hear people say "you know that huge overweight woman". Instead they always say "you know the woman who always wears those wonderful hats". Pretty clever of her, I'd say.

jody Apr 9th, 2005 12:12 PM

LOVED THEM ALL...except some of them looked like satellite dishes! The feathery one camilla's daughter wore was smashing!

I LOVE HATS...too bad no one except the Red Hat ladies wear them anymore..I may have to join up!

Underhill Apr 9th, 2005 12:45 PM

A milliner who invents a hat that doesn't leave hat hair will make a fortune. I'd have a closet full of lovely confections in seconds.

carolyn Apr 9th, 2005 12:59 PM

I'm just home from a church ladies monthly brunch/lunch/tea called Bella Chapeau. The only rule is that you must wear a hat. Today, the husband of a new mother attended so that he could take care of the baby during lunch, and he wore a baseball cap. It's great fun, and we get lots of compliments.

The younger women are going to consignment shops and buying what they refer to as "vintage" hats, but, alas, I have a few of my own vintage hats.

Women attending the KY Derby wear hats, too, so at this time of year there are a lot of choices in the shops. Unfortunately for me, they all seem to be wide brimmed. I'm small so I look like an elf under a toadstood in one of them, but they sure are pretty.

diann Apr 9th, 2005 01:20 PM

I love hats and thought they were fabulous!! I own none cause where would I wear it?? To exercise (NO) to grocery shop (NO). Church is the most likely place, but these day NO ONE wears them now back in my Grandmothers day she went NO WHERE without her hat and gloves. Oh they days of old!

indytravel Apr 9th, 2005 01:26 PM

Hat hair?

No need to worry ladies.

A hat is part of your ensemble and is not removed. Not when you step inside, not when the national anthem is played, not when a hearse crosses your path at a funeral.

Find a milliner, grab a few hat pins and go for it!

P_M Apr 9th, 2005 01:36 PM

Who was the young lady in the crowd wearing a hat that looked like she had a big golden tree branch sticking out of her head? I'd like to get one of those for Halloween. That hat was a hoot. :-))

Scarlett Apr 9th, 2005 01:41 PM

I think that was one of Annes daughters?
I was just looking at the news photos, they look so happy ((L))

What was the freak Joan Rivers doing there ?

nonnafelice Apr 9th, 2005 01:42 PM

Speaking of the Red Hat Society, a British gentleman told me once that wearing a red hat in England was a signal that the lady was not wearing "knickers." Anyone from the UK ever heard this?

Marianna Apr 9th, 2005 02:06 PM

I thought the Duchess of Cornwall looked lovely - more fashionable, thinner and trimmer than she looked in the recent pictures at the time of the engagement. Her outfit - hat and all - was beautiful. I especially liked the jeweled hemline on her dress - head to toe creamy elegance, including pale lipstick.

Robespierre Apr 9th, 2005 03:04 PM

The only gentlemen I saw wearing top hats were Rowan Atkinson and Stephen Fry. When Mme. Robespierre pointed this out, I remarked, "Ah, yes. Jeeves and Rooster."

Dreamer2 Apr 9th, 2005 03:10 PM

Was that Camilla's daughter in the green dress and spikey feathers? I thought that one was ridiculous! I love the big, glorious hats, too. I think a young, pretty face looks pretty wreathed in feathers, but let's a big ol' brim over some of those victims!