Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hasilberg Reuti, too off the beaten track or beautiful? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hasilberg-reuti-too-off-the-beaten-track-or-beautiful-185764/)

jeri Mar 30th, 2002 07:55 AM

Hasilberg Reuti, too off the beaten track or beautiful?

We will have 2 days in this area of Switzerland. We do have an auto. I believe we will spend a day exploring Murren, the Schilthorn, then Grindelwald. Also spend some time in Luzern. Where should we base ourselves? Thanks

Amy Mar 30th, 2002 12:21 PM

Reuti is beautiful, and really not that difficult as far as access goes. There is a tram car that goes up from Meiringen, where the train station is. From there you can go anywhere; Interlaken and Luzern are quite close. If you do spend some time there (in the Hasliberg region), go to the Roselaui Canyon Gorge and take the cable car up the mountain from Reuti and hike the trails. The dinners on Hotel Viktoria's patio are quite good! I think you would be better using public transportation in this case, though, as the roads are a wee bit wild!

jeri Mar 30th, 2002 12:44 PM

Amy, thanks for the info, is Reuti accessible by auto? We were planning to drive to our pension there. Thanks again.

Amy Mar 30th, 2002 02:48 PM

Yes, you can drive to Reuti; it's a "long and winding road" that goes through some of the other villages of the Hasliberg region; very well maintained, of course, but very very twisting! (We rode up by bus a few times; it took about 35 minutes from Meiringen at the base of the mountain.)<BR>There's even a little parking lot near the spot where you can look down on Reichenbach Falls (Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty). <BR>The next (and last) town on the road is even lovelier; I stayed in Reuti for two weeks and travelled around from there, and it still wasn't enough time!<BR>Have a lovely trip, and feel free to email me with any specific questions I may be able to answer, or just post here.

Jeri Mar 30th, 2002 04:49 PM

Amy thanks so much for the info, we really have to rethink the trip, we want to do so much, that being that far out may be counter productive to exploring both Murren and Luzern, two different directions. So we will do more research and get back to you. Have a nice Easter and we will be posting again on Sunday. Or feel free to e-mail us too! Take care.

Ami Mar 30th, 2002 05:44 PM

If you only have 2 days in the area, you are correct in saying Reuti is too far off the beaten track. It is a lovely place to stay if you have 2 weeks, but otherwise you will spend all your time traveling back and forth to see the Lauterbrunen valley and Lucerne.

jw Mar 31st, 2002 04:30 AM

Thank you two for writing about Hasilberg Reuti -- such a refreshing change from the Berner Oberland places we usually read about. It sounds lovely. Jeri, if the rest of your trip is a bustle, perhaps two isolated Swiss days would be just the ticket. On the other hand, if you really want to drive to and fro, maybe you'll want to consider Lungernsee or Brienzersee towns. I'm a rail rider rather than a driver, but there are others who will be able to help you spot a more convenient half-way spot for driving to L & M. Have a wonderful time, and if you stick with Reuti, please report back and let us know how you liked it. J.

jeri Mar 31st, 2002 10:43 AM

Thanks to Ami & JW, I am still searching between Luzern & Interlaken for a private house that rents rooms. Checked out a B&B in Interlaken, which may be a possibility but would still prefer a private house accomodation closer to Luzern, I guess. That way we would arrive, check in, tour a little of the city and maybe cross the lake. Then the next day to Murren and the Schilthorn. I guess we could wing it and get a room when we arrive. This all started with Hotel Krone in Sarnen, but someone said the area is not quite nice. All further comments extremely welcome.

jeri Mar 31st, 2002 10:52 AM

Hey JW Where are Lungernsee & Brienzersee?

Bob Brown Mar 31st, 2002 01:28 PM

The Brienzer See is that beautiful expanse of water between Interlaken and Brienz, which is to the east of Interlaken.<BR>The Lungernsee is a smaller lake on the west side of the road from Meiringen to Sarnen. It is north of the Br&uuml;nig Pass and south of Sarnen. It is fairly small, compared with the Thuner See and the Brienzer See. (The Thuner See being the lake west of Interlaken that Thun and Spiez are on.)