Has Travel Enriched your life?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 08:08 AM
lbb

Has Travel Enriched your life?

I am originally from a very small town in Missouri. My entire family for the last few generations have lived only in Missouri. I had not flown on a commercial airplane (exclude crop dusters) until I was 21 years old much less left the continental U.S. We definatly don't have the advantage of a lot of money. When I was 26 I made my first trip overseas. I was visiting a friend that lived there. He was working so my first experience was being totally on my own. I struggled with the currency and language alone. I spent 3 weeks in Switzerland and France and had a wonderful time. I enjoy talking about travel because I feel that it was brave to do something that my family has never done. I have taken 2 two week trips every year to someplace new in Europe. I introduced my best friend to Europe in March of 1999. I introduced my father in 2000. My mom at that time wouldn't fly so this year in March I got married in Italy and she had to. Because of the wedding my husband, his sisters and his dad had their first trip to Europe. (Don't worry I stressed being considerate. Trying to use the language and follow basic culture of the country. For the most part quiet considerate travelers)I have wonderful stories to tell about the people I have met. I even impressed my father when I stopped to talk to an older man in Luxembourg and was able to talk about many of the places we had both been lucky enough to visit. I have seen some of the greatest pieces of art in the world. Some of the places have encouraged me dig into the history books again. Maybe it seems like bragging and I guess it is. I am proud that I have found a way to find fulfillment. I learn so much from going someplace new. So I guess I am asking all of you what is it about travel that fulfills you. How are you enriched by the places that you have been?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 08:13 AM
xxx

lbb: it's a pleasant enough post. Notice how much easier it is to read with the use of paragraph breaks:

===================================

I am originally from a very small town in Missouri. My entire family for the last few generations have lived only in Missouri. I had not flown on a commercial airplane (exclude crop dusters) until I was 21 years old much less left the continental U.S. We definatly don't have the advantage of a lot of money.

When I was 26 I made my first trip overseas. I was visiting a friend that lived there. He was working so my first experience was being totally on my own. I struggled with the currency and language alone. I spent 3 weeks in Switzerland and France and had a wonderful time. I enjoy talking about travel because I feel that it was brave to do something that my family has never done.

I have taken 2 two week trips every year to someplace new in Europe. I introduced my best friend to Europe in March of 1999. I introduced my father in 2000. My mom at that time wouldn't fly so this year in March I got married in Italy and she had to. Because of the wedding my husband, his sisters and his dad had their first trip to Europe.

(Don't worry I stressed being considerate. Trying to use the language and follow basic culture of the country. For the most part quiet considerate travelers)

I have wonderful stories to tell about the people I have met. I even impressed my father when I stopped to talk to an older man in Luxembourg and was able to talk about many of the places we had both been lucky enough to visit.

I have seen some of the greatest pieces of art in the world. Some of the places have encouraged me dig into the history books again. Maybe it seems like bragging and I guess it is. I am proud that I have found a way to find fulfillment. I learn so much from going someplace new.

So I guess I am asking all of you what is it about travel that fulfills you. How are you enriched by the places that you have been?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 08:19 AM
lbb

Thank you for your assistance. I was so excited to share with all of the wonderful people on this site that I neglected to use paragraphs.

Since you were kind enough to share your input please go even farther. Share a personel experience of how travel has enriched your life.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 08:22 AM
happy traveler

xxx: Is that you Rex?

llb: Of course, but it would take too long to write on a hot sunny day.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 08:40 AM
lbb

Sorry I don't know who Rex is though I have seen his name mentioned several times.

I am new to the chat room thing. This one is the first one that I have found interesting.

My message was sincere and I was hoping to get to talk to people who really feel that they are better people because of things that they have experienced because of travel.

Enjoy your sunny day....

Anyone else out there?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:03 AM
xxx

I think it was me, but sometimes I forget who "I" am.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:21 AM
helen

Message to xxx:
This person wrote a very nice message about how traveling has enriched her life, how she has met new people, and expanded her horizons. All you can do is edit her post? Shame on you.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:23 AM
zzz

Shame on xxx?

Gee, let's take a look at what lbb had to say

Author: lbb ([email protected])
Date: 06/29/2002, 12:19 pm

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:32 AM
the sage

Wise and courteous response by llb, but that doesn't mean xxx wasn't out of line.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:34 AM
lscott

Like you, I grew up in small town, in ndiana. By the time I was married the farthest I had been from home, except high school class trip to NY, was couple of times to nearby cities.
Then my husband was drafted into the Army..remember the draft the opportunity for farm boys to see the world and a great thing in the non-war years...and I joined him in Germany for over a year.
Have been travel crazy ever since. ow much poorer our lives would have been if we had never got out of the
Midwest! And because we traveled, our children grew up with the travel bug and now their children.
feel so sorry for those who are stay-at homes either by necessity or by choice (although must say I am always ready to come home to the farm where I have lived most of my life.)

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Amy

Back to the question....
Travel has been a large part of making me who I am; it has developed an understanding and appreciation of likenesses and differences in the human experience, a spirit of adventure, and an ability to plan and organize and then "go with the flow".

(new paragraph!) It's also given me a wealth of artifacts and adventures which I share with a few kindred spirits--and with my students!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:38 AM
lbb

No worries about the correction. Definately not the most harsh that I have seen on this site.

Thank you for your defense I appreciate it. Your kind words are refreshing.

Now all that said, lets get back to my original question. I would love to hear how your life is a little better because of a trip or someone that you have met on a trip.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Karen

llb,

I also grew up in a small town. 26 of the 30 in my high school class are still in the 1,000 population town in East Texas.

At an early age (way too early age!!) I also married a military man and spent three years in Japan and have had the travel bug ever since!!

I think I am more open to ideas, cultures, religions, and experiences than those 26 remaining in my small town. I think I have more of a sense of adventure and, more importantly, curiousity to learn.

When I remarried (told you I was way to young!!), my new husband had never been outside of the US. Now, if we can't take an international trip each year we feel deprived!! After 20 years of married, it's our best times together.

Yes, I think I've benefited from travel.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 10:54 AM
lbb

I just checked back on the replies to my post and this is just what I was needing today.

I am having serious vacation withdraw. I can't go on Europe again until next March because we are using all of our vacation this year meeting all of the new family members.

It is nice to hear some similar life experiences.

Thank you!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Forlbb

Until now, you were "young and carefree". Now that you are married, you are beginning to have obligations. When you have children, you will have more obligations. Don't worry about travel. It is in your spirit and soul. Even if sometimes you will have to wait years to take an expensive trip, the time will come for you to go again.

Since my university days, I have had the travel bug. After I got married and my kids were born, we had more important expenses, so travel was put aside. We took very short car trips for years. Then we started to take the family to the Carib.or Mexico at Xmas. Finally, the day came when we (I should say "I" because I cared about travel more than my husband) decided it was time to go back to Europe. That was 10 years ago and we have been going back almost every year since then.

Just enjoy your life and there will be time for everything! My best wishes to you.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Danna

I too come from a small town, but visited Europe in my teens. The next time I visited with my husband on our "20th Anniversary/Kid is in college" celebratory trip. This was my husband's first trip to Europe. We had a grand time and learned alot. First, we can spend 3 weeks together and absolutely enjoy one another. Secondly, we can go forward not "quite" sure where or how we are going to get there. I did all the pre-planning, which was very sketchy other than first night, last night and one overnight ferry reservation. Then 2 years later it was my husband who said, "We should go in April".. so he has the bug! Now post April trip we are planning our September 2004 trip! We learned that after being parents, we are still really good at being partners, traveling partners, ... it's an enrichment in our life!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 12:08 PM
xaxa

My father loved to travel. He took the family around the U.S. on a number of trips when I was a teenager. When he retired he took trips to Europe with my mother, and now that she's passed away, he still goes every summer.

I love to travel but haven't had a chance to do it as much as I'd like to yet. Once to German, once to Paris, and all over the U.S. It certainly makes life much better and more fulfilling.

Each time I take a trip I feel like it's leading me to better understand other points of view, different cultures and ways of doing things. I get to experience different foods, ways of traveling, art, architecture. Frankly, I'd love to take a few years and just be able to travel constantly. The bug is a harsh mistress....

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Jennifer

lscott -

When I saw the title of this post, I was truly hoping that all of the comments would be interesting and positive, and that no one would express condescending "pity" of those who choose not to travel. I love to travel and have been to 35 countries and lived in 5 (I'm 31), but I would never "feel sorry" for someone who hadn't traveled as much as me. Everyone's life experience is different, and should be respected. I think travel has enriched my life by making me more tolerant and understanding - as is the case for many people (just not for everyone on the Europe board).

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 02:56 AM
lbb

I am so pleased to see that so many have been lucky enough to travel. I started this post because I really feel lucky and blessed to be able to see things that I never imagined I would.

I am so pleased that everyone has been so positive in their comments.

I don't believe that Iscott was trying to be condescending in thier comment. When they said that they feel sorry for people who weren't able to travel. I think that many times we are so happy to have found something that fulfills us, that we want that for everyone.

Thank you all for the posts. Please continue. I love hearing about how travel has opened your eyes to new and exciting experiences

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 03:45 AM
AlsoSickofthe ArroganceHere

lbb -

read it again. lscott went out of her way to state that she feels sorry for people who can't travel AND people who choose not to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information