Reload this Page >

Has anyone's film been ruined?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:09 AM
Amateur Photog

Hi, aside from the scientific discussions on whether the xray machines ruin film, I'm wondering if anyone here has actually had a bad experience (sorry in advance!). I will just be using 200 speed regular film, and am taking two flights(domestic and international) in each direction. I'm debating whether to bring my lead bag, thinking it might cause problems with security. Thanks.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:48 AM
Leslie

You can bring your lead bag without having a problem with Security. Your using a low speed film, and the xray machines won't damage film under 800 ASA. At least that's what my local photo shop has told me, but I'm not sure about what type of deterioration you will get with multiple scans. However, my local photo shop advised me not to put my film loosely in the checked luggage as those x-ray machines are stronger.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Howard

Simple procedures to follow:<BR>1. Don't worry, as long as you pack your film in your carry-on.<BR>2. If it'll give you peace of mind, put the film in a lead bag. There would be no "problem" with security, other then perhaps having the bag opened up and hand checked. (It'll speed up things in a hand check if you pack the film OUT of their plastic canisters.)

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:27 AM
David

Note that nobody answered your question...I have traveled a lot with film and never had a problem with the machines ruining film....I have NEVER heard of anyone who has had a problem<BR><BR>I know the people who sell lead bags make the case that it's better to be safe than sorry, which I agree with totally--nothing would be worse than ruined film.<BR><BR>but, I don't know anyone who has ever reported an actual problem<BR><BR>Anyone know someone who had an actual experience?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Dave

We have traveled, and I always put my 200 film in a cloth bag in my checked suitcases. Never had any problem. I usually put my camera in my carry-on, and never had any problem with the film in there either.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Zoe

Last spring, we were coming back from Rome. When we finally got to the front of the line at the check-in counter, there was a sign saying the x-ray could damage your film. Well, all our film was in our suitcases, hidden and packed amongst our clothes, shoes, etc.. We didn't want to start tearing our suitcases apart trying to find all the film right before we were to check in, so we left it. Big mistake. The majority of our pictures did not process well and even at that, Costco processed each roll by hand. From now on, film will go in carry on and handed over to the security people to hand check. I believe we used mostly 400 speed.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Steve Mueller

<BR>First, I recommend buying most of your film in Europe. This should eliminate at least half of the security x-ray risks. The same brands (Kodak, Fuji, etc.) are available, so you will no problem getting them developed after you return.<BR><BR>Except for the time my camera fell into a lake, I have never had a roll of film that didn't turn out. Any problems were caused by careless focusing, exposure, etc. and did not affect the entire roll.<BR><BR>On one trip to Europe, my film (up to 400 ASA) was x-rayed six times. This was not just airports, but also security checkpoints for the Eurostar and Windsor Castle. The film was fine. In fact, I got some spectacular shots during that trip.<BR><BR>If a roll of film doesn't turn out, don't automatically assume that the damage was caused by exposure to x-rays. X-ray damage looks like a fog in your photographs. If every image is too dark, or blurry, etc., the problem is probably with the camera.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:05 AM
jim

I flew out of Denver to Guyana last month. First time since 9/11. Always in the past the airlines said not to worry about the x-rays and film. My checked bags got picked to be super x-rayed and twice the airline staff told me to make sure there was no film in my luggage. I was always suspicious before, but now i'm sure there must be the potential for harm. Otherwise why would they even care?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:12 AM
J

Jim--The airlines now clearly state that you should carry-on ALL film as the new high-powered checked luggage x-rays are much stronger than they used to be. There are lots of threads about this, one that even had a link showing what x-ray damaged film looks like.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 03:41 PM
rita

In all the travelling that I have done I have always placed my film in my checked luggage. And I have never had a problem. <BR><BR>In fact, just today I picked up a roll of developed 200 ASA Kodak print film that I have carried with me on my last three trips (all post 9/11) and the photos were fine. The film travelled: Calgary&gt; Toronto &gt; Halifax &gt; London &gt; Athens &gt; London &gt; Toulouse &gt; London &gt; Calgary &gt; Toronto &gt; Quebec City &gt; Miami &gt; Toronto &gt; Calgary &gt; Toronto &gt; Rome &gt; Toronto &gt; Calgary.<BR><BR>I am assuming that because it was in my checked luggage all the way it went through all of those supposed "high tech scanners". The result being nada.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Ed

2 years ago we lost some black & white film after running it through the x-ray machine at the airport. We had all our film in a separate plastic bag so that we could pass it separately and not through the x-ray, but the security person made a big issue of it and we let it go. The colored film came out OK, but we totally lost the black & white of Notre Dame. Imagine our disappointment. Now we are using digital cameras!!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:42 AM
amy

I live in London and travel through Europe, so can't speak for the US machines, but yes, I have had film ruined here since 9/11. It was packed in the checked baggage and the lab identified that it was x-ray machines that damaged the film. I would only pack your film in hand luggage. Don't think lead bags are necessary.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Heather

I posted a story link on this last week. According to the manufacturer of the equipment that xrays checked luggage in the US, the new machines are more likely to ruin film. I don't check baggage, so it's never been an issue. It doesn't seem that this concern extends to the carry-on scanners?