Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone used venere.com to make hotel reservations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-used-venere-com-to-make-hotel-reservations-178054/)

Sam Aug 20th, 2001 09:30 AM

Has anyone used venere.com to make hotel reservations?

Is venere.com a good way to make your hotel reservations, or is it better to contact the hotels directly. If so, how do you get the hotels' e-mail addresses?

Nutella Aug 20th, 2001 09:53 AM

I think it's best to contact the hotel directly. Sometimes they can be more flexible. For example, venere.com showed no single rooms available for my query, but when I emailed the same hotel, they booked my reservation. What probably happened was that a human, instead of the computer, decided they could give me a double room instead. Find the emails in guidebooks, or by doing a search on google.com or yahoo. Having said that, I have made several reservations for my upcoming trip using venere.com, what I liked about it was a quick response, and it is the same rate you will get from the hotel. Email me if I can be of further help, Im going thru the same process as you right now. Buon viaggio!

Karen Aug 20th, 2001 09:57 AM

I used it last year to reserve rooms for our trip in June 2001. It worked just fine. <BR>

Ed Aug 20th, 2001 09:58 AM

Definitely better to contact the hotel directly than through a middleman, unless there's an obvious, and certain, benefit to going through an intermediary. <BR> <BR>twenj

Carol Aug 20th, 2001 10:00 AM

I have used venere to check out hotels, it's a great site, but I found that I got a better rate by dealing directly with the hotels I booked in Italy. I had no problem finding the hotels by doing a seach on the web. Good luck :-)

kris Aug 20th, 2001 10:21 AM

I used Venere and had to cancel the reservation. Cancelling through he website didn't work and a charge ended up on my bill which I then had to fight with Visa over. Never had that trouble with Travelocity or Expedia

ellen Aug 20th, 2001 10:51 AM

I used them with no problem.

claire Aug 20th, 2001 03:44 PM

Agree with Carol. Do some research with venere, but then contact the hotels directly via e-mail. I found the rates quoted on venere to be higher than hotels quoted through direct contact, or even other sites such as Italy in a flash, which I used to make 2 bookings with no problems. All other bookings were made with the hotel directly. Reconfirmation was done with the hotel directly even where I used the booking service for the original booking(because it quoted a special rate not available elsewhere).

cindy Aug 21st, 2001 03:44 AM

Sam, check out charmingitaly.com also. I got this site from someone on this board, and it has a great selection of hotels, villas, apartments and bed and breakfasts. Then you can fax or e-mail your reservation directly to the hotel.

debbie Aug 21st, 2001 07:58 AM

Cindy- THANKS for site! Charmingitaly.com is great with easy way to see hotel or B&B, clear information and a plus with color pictures.