Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used Priceline to book hotel accomodations in Madrid?

Sep 13th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

We're travelers who tend to plan most details before leaving home. Not too fond of surprises. After checking out the hotel prices in Madrid for an upcoming trip to Spain, a friend suggested that we could get better rates by using Priceline and 'taking our chances'. Am still a bit unsure. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience in this area. Thanks, Lissa
Sep 13th, 2009, 05:05 AM

Thanks for the post. It's where I'm going next, as United starts a direct flight from Dulles in March. I had good luck with priceline before. Hope you get a lot of responses.
Sep 13th, 2009, 08:55 AM

What with the price of hotels being what they are today, why take a chance and be disappointed? Just remember, you often get what you pay for...
Sep 13th, 2009, 09:11 AM

I suggest checking www.betterbidding.com and seeing what people are posting. There have been some good deals on nice hotels in Madrid. I would consider it. But read over there and make sure you understand the zones etc before you bid!
Sep 13th, 2009, 10:10 AM

what are your dates,expctations and preferred star level and price? There are some good deals out there just now.

If your prices are very high there might be a convention in town.
Sep 13th, 2009, 10:17 AM

The only area I would bid is old Madrid as "around the castellana" can get pretty far out.
Sep 13th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Be sure to check www.solmelia.com and www.hotelscombined.com for good deals. I like to bid on Priceline, but it is not always the best deal overall, particularly if you lose control of your location.
Sep 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM

check ou hotels on the gran via......especially best western..... thy are great in europe
Sep 15th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Muchas gracias todos!

WillTravel, location! location! location! is very important.

I appreciate the suggestions since I have no previous knowledge of some of the sites you suggest. I will check them since we have lots of time. Am never disappointed with the shared experiences and advise I find here on the message boards.

Lincasanova,
I was planning on staying in La Castellana. We hope to find some decent mattresses and quiet rooms within walking distance of tapas bars. We'll only spend our first two nights there and the last night before heading to the airport next day. When I checked Priceline I was looking in the four star range in La Castellana. My concern was that 'Old Madrid' might be too raucous and loud for sleeping. What exactly do you mean when you say it's 'pretty far out'? Lissa
Sep 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM

I haven't looked at "around la castellana" for exactly four stars but some of the hotels won ( if I am not mistaken)can be at the far end of the Castellana, not anywhere near the tapas hopping areas.

right now on www.solmelia.com you can get great deals by prepayng.. they seem to have extended this bargain.
I just booked the 4* menfis for 65 euros/night in october.

You can't beat that even with priceline.
Sep 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM

You need to find on a map the winning hotels in your star level and you will see what I am talking about. Best to go 5* around La castellana, but even then.. you might get one further up and away.

5* Old Madrid looks very safe.
Sep 16th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reporting on the hotel bargains. I checked the solmelia for my dates and the rates were higher. I hope to find a deal between now and November. Will check back often. Again, thanks for your efforts.
Sep 16th, 2009, 11:31 PM

It seems the price drops down on Novmeber 4th. Sometimes even if only one of your nights is within a high period, the others don't show up as being discounted. Try doing your dates in two separate reservations.. you may only need to pay a higher price for one night and the rest at 65 euros if it is after the 4th of Novmeber.
Sep 17th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Will do it. Thanks.
Sep 18th, 2009, 05:11 PM

I am just at Hotel Carlton right this moment (in the lobby after a late flamenco show at Casa Patas). I used an Expedia coupon so had a great deal, but I see they are offering 80-Euro double room with breakfast, which seems pretty reasonable. I would class it as about a 3.5-star hotel.