Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone tried to spend the night in a closed attraction? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-tried-to-spend-the-night-in-a-closed-attraction-187565/)

Tripper Jan 21st, 2003 03:12 PM

Has anyone tried to spend the night in a closed attraction?

Like the vatican, or some museum or castle? I think it would be a trip to spend the whole night alone or with a friend in one of these places. I guess it is not a smart thing to do , but has anyone done it?<BR>I wanted to stay at Warwick after it closed, but I got kicked out.<BR>

xxx Jan 21st, 2003 03:21 PM

Since we're talking about committing crime should we expand this question to include, &quot;has anyone committed murder and gotten away with it?&quot; and &quot;has anyone stolen anything?&quot;

Tripper Jan 21st, 2003 03:25 PM

I didn't mean murdering anyone in an attraction, where did you get that from?<BR>I know of people who spent the night in an unnamed castle and ran out in the middle of the night over the locked gate.

Genius Jan 21st, 2003 03:35 PM

Great idea. As a bonus, you'll probably wind up with a free place to sleep in an overseas correctional facility that is open 24/7/365. I hear some nice things about Turkish prisons.

Donald R. Jan 21st, 2003 03:37 PM

I'd recommend an overnight at Saddam's palace in Bagdad in a few weeks. I'm sure the &quot;fireworks&quot; will be swell.

jj Jan 21st, 2003 03:41 PM

Tripper<BR><BR>I never have tried such a thing but the idea would have been given great consideration when I was in college. Alas, I'm too responsible now with too much to lose.

The Pope Jan 21st, 2003 03:45 PM

The Man upstairs indicated to me that he might not appreciate trespassers at the Vatican. Feel free to attempt a covert night visit to the Vatican after it closes, but the result might be that the Pearly Gates close for you. And need I mention, that when the Pearly Gates close, it's a little more difficulty to sneak inside.

xxx Jan 21st, 2003 03:50 PM

But if you're a cute young 13 year old boy, I'll bet there are some people at the vatican who could sneak you in for the night.

kam Jan 21st, 2003 04:23 PM

Wasn't this the subject of a stupid movie a couple years ago? The average age of someone wanting to do this must be 16.

jahoulih Jan 21st, 2003 04:35 PM

It's the subject of a charming children's book called &quot;From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler&quot; by E.L. Konigsburg.

Nutella Jan 21st, 2003 04:58 PM

That was one of my favorite books growing up! Didn't it have something to do with Michelangelo and the Museum of Art? Been a long time, I guess the memory is the first to go!

haha Jan 21st, 2003 05:20 PM

Seems like if this question read &quot;Has anyone tried to have sex in a closed attraction?&quot; it would have received more responses and the average age would be 24??? If you don't like the post, don't answer it. Otherwise, would you like to have sex in a closed attraction (not talking to priests here!)?

MaryC Jan 21st, 2003 05:23 PM

Hey Tripper,<BR><BR>What do you mean by &quot;ran out in the middle of the night over the locked gate&quot;? They got scared &amp; ran out?

Story Jan 21st, 2003 06:15 PM

Geez, no one has a sense of humor or an imagination any more! <BR>I would love to stay the night in the Louvre! I would wander the halls, in and out of the rooms, especially spooky would be the ones with statues. <BR>I would look out the windows and imagine what it was like when people lived there. I might even pretend I was Queen Margot!<BR>Then I would fall asleep and dream about being chased by the guards and when I wake up, I would sneak out and no one would believe me when I post on Fodors telling about my adventure.

xxx Jan 21st, 2003 06:35 PM

I don't know why you would want to stay in a closed attraction alone, but you can legally spend the night at Teatro di Pompeo in a comfy bed set under the stone vaults of Pompey's Theatre in Rome. But beware, you may have nightmares as this was the site of Julius Caesar's assassination. You can bedazzle your friends with a story and history of the theatre, leaving out that the fact that it is actually a hotel.

icithecat Jan 21st, 2003 07:57 PM

There are many desolate castles and standing stones in Europe in which you could possibly get away with spending the night. The key would be stealth.<BR> <BR>Dark sleeping bag and ground cloth.<BR><BR>But then, what would I know about stealth.<BR><BR>In Scotland would you get the death sentence? I doubt it.

Frances Jan 22nd, 2003 09:55 AM

My Dad and I were locked in( or out) on the ramparts of Mont-St-Michel.I think we were carried away with the view.I still remember being very frightened on trying to get down and finding we were locked in!

xxx Jan 22nd, 2003 10:12 AM

Yes.

vita Jan 22nd, 2003 10:33 AM

jahoulih, I liked that book too and it made a reappearance in the movie, The Royal Tenenbaums.

Tripper Jan 22nd, 2003 10:40 AM

I guess my question was naive with all of you uptight people reading it. Storyteller has the right kind of imagination, my kind of person to be friends with I am sure.<BR>Why do people seem to get so frozen up as they get older?<BR>Anyway, bye, I have to get on my way, it has been fun. <BR>