Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone travelled with Sabena airlines?

Aug 25th, 2000, 10:34 AM
Lisa

Hi, I'm checking flight prices and have noticed Sabena airlines have a variety of flights that fit my itinerary. Has anyone flown with them? How is the flight and service? Thanks.

Aug 25th, 2000, 11:01 AM
cash

We have flown on SABENA several time to and from Europe. To be honest, I don't find a great deal of difference between any airlines these days. They were on time, food was okay -typical airline food, crew was pleasant and helpful, seats as comfortable (or uncomfortable depending on how tall you are) as any airline, clean. Most of the time you board en masse instead of by row, but it works better than I think it will each time. Flights are just a way of getting someplace these days.

Aug 25th, 2000, 11:02 AM
wes fowler

Lisa,
I've flown Sabena a number of times and found it to be quite satisfactory. Planes have been Airbus 340s with a slightly wider seat than I've encountered on Delta. Food has been above average, as has been attendants attitudes. I've never encountered delays coming or going; never encountered late arrivals or missed connections. Would assuredly fly them again.

Aug 25th, 2000, 11:30 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Lisa, here's an outtake from a trip report I did a couple months ago:

"Flew Sabena from Atlanta to Brussels. Dislike: Called Sabena months ago to get seat assignments, but unbeknownst to us, these were merely “requested” by the agent and not reserved. Luckily we were able to still get 2 together. Like: Sabena’s Airbus has lots of overhead space. Dislike: Only one bag per person, so much of that space is wasted. We checked our 2 small bags and kept our overstuffed daypack. Like: Each coach seat is equipped with personal entertainment unit. Dislike: Mine was broken (others were also broken). Dislike: Most movies and games cost $5.00 (come on, Sabena, this is not market for transatlantic flights). Dislike: The flight is cold (even for me) and blankets are not passed out until we reach cruising altitude for what we are told are “safety reasons” (huh?). Like: the flight attendants are friendly, beauty seems to be a job requirement and their use of English is terribly endearing: “Blankets please?” as they hand out the blankets or “Can you drink something?” as they bring the drink cart around. Dislike: the food – yuck. Neutral: The seats were about average for coach."

Though I just have one experience, I'd probably choose another airline unless the fare was much better. Plus, U.S. airlines seem to be a bit more liberal with the drink cart (a big plus if you intend on watching hollywood movies all night long).

Aug 25th, 2000, 12:19 PM
gail w

Only one experience with Sabena. This past March flew Sabena Boston to Brussels, Brussels to Malaga. Despite having booked seats in OCTOBER, and calling monthly to check and make sure nothing had changed starting in December, we had our seats changed from about the 12th row to the rear of the plane when we checked in and the flight from Brussels to Malaga was almost unbearable because they had moved us to the very last row with seats that didn't recline at all (and we'd been up all night on the transatlantic flight and waiting around Brussels airport for the second flight). The crew were more than pleasant and airplane food is airplane food. The flights were ontime and nothing (to our knowledge) fell off the plane while it was in the air. Conclusion: on the basis of the seat change alone, I wouldn't fly them again but otherwise, no complaints.

Aug 25th, 2000, 03:25 PM
Peg

Lisa, I traveled from Atlanta to Paris (via Brussels) last Feb. on Sabena and thought the service was great! My seat was the one that I requested and the food was very good. I noticed on the Sabena flights within Europe that there is much more room and I would definitely fly that route again!!

Sep 10th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Suzy

Took 9 trips to Europe in the 90's-in May 2000,our first-&last on Sabena. Booked direct flight from Cincinnati-Brussels- only to find that those flights didn't exist . We were rerouted Chicago- Brussels- Brussels-JFK. Flight to Brussels wa s miserable- seats were too tight- couldn't see movie . Flight home was worse - food was awful !plane was late arriving at JFK - missed connector. Sabena people could have cared less, but were forced tto help us. Had to transfer to LaGuardia - gave us a voucher for a taxi that never came. The whole experience was miserable- also Brussels wasn't our destination- we flew to Milan - connector was cancelled and next flight was late- flew Rome baccck to Brussels - this time on Virgin Express- 6am flight and no coffee - tea was available - for a price .We are planning a 2001 trip which will in clude Belgium- but not on Sabena

Sep 10th, 2000, 05:10 PM
xxx

I just returned from France and flew Sabena JFK to Brussels to Marseille and back. Everything went smoothly, the staff was great, and there was not any charge for the movies as another poster mentioned. I even felt like I had more legroom than on other international flights. My only complaint would be that they do indeed keep the cabin very cool. Still, I'd fly them again in a minute.

Sep 11th, 2000, 01:14 AM
ann

flew sabena on several occasions, both intercontinental and with connecting flights from brussels, and believe service was ok, i would fly with them again...

Sep 11th, 2000, 01:18 AM
jerry

We have flown Sabena several times and have found them to be at least as miserable as the other airlines.

They 'partner' with other airlines, so you may end up on a flight operated by AA or Swissair.

I recommend calling them frequently to verify that your flight is still scheduled. They cancelled one on us last Christmas and it cause a lot of aggrivation. Other flights have been fine.

Sep 11th, 2000, 02:57 AM
Chris

Hi! I flew with them last month, from Brussels to Johannesburg and back. The food and the seat comfort was allright, they had a self-service "bar" set up in the galley, where you could just walk up and get some water etc. yourself. The attendants were quite nice and professional, so I would definitely fly them again if need be. The downside was the plane: a packed MD-11, with that dreaded five-seat-row in the middle.
I was seated in THE last row (51 - avoid it like the plague), with a wonderful panoramic view of the toilet every time somebody went in or came out. The aisle seat was virtually IN the lavatory, with people struggling to get by. The "aroma" emanating from the lavatory was terrible, but luckily they had an air-freshener handy, so that I was spraying all over the place.
Incidentally, you know what Sabena stands for? Such A Bloody Experience - Never Again.

Sep 11th, 2000, 01:31 PM
Vanessa

I flew on Sabena to Paris last year when they offered a great deal last Spring. The service was very good and I had no problems with the plane being late or anything like that. The only problem was that the flight went from Chicago to Brussels and then we had a connecting flight to Paris. Of course we knew this beforehand and knew we would have a few hours wait in the Brussels airport. It was very tiring, but definitely worth the airfare ($298 from Chicago to Paris). I would fly with Sabena again in a minute if they offered that airfare again. The flight attendents were also very friendly and there were in-flight movies.