Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone toured underground in Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-toured-underground-in-rome-110436/)

Tania Mar 6th, 2001 02:15 PM

Has anyone toured underground in Rome?

We are leaving for Rome in a week. We did alot of reading and recently ran across some info on the Travel with Ed and Julie web sitr that mentioned subterranian Rome. Also found an old article that was interesting but outdated. Anyone done this? I know about San Clemente and St. Peter's, looking for any off the beaten path info. Thank You!

Bob Mar 7th, 2001 03:41 AM

Hi, Tania! <BR> <BR>My wife & I are going to Rome at the end of May & have made arrangements for the Scavi Tour which goes under St. Peter's. <BR> <BR>It is a highly recommended tour & is inexpensive. It may be too late for you but when you get to Rome you may want to look into this because it's supposed to be an unbelievable experience. <BR> <BR>Here's some info: <BR> <BR>Excavations Office: Open 9-5 <BR>Closed Sundays <BR>email: [email protected] <BR>Phone: 39-06-6988-5318 <BR>Fax: 39-06-6988-5518 <BR> <BR>Address: <BR>Ufficio Scavi <BR>Fabbrica di San Pietro <BR>00120 Citta del Vaticano <BR>EUROPE <BR> <BR>I believe the office is on the left side of St. Peter's. There may be more info on "Travel with Ed and Julie". <BR> <BR>Hope this is helpful to you. <BR> <BR>Email me directly if you have any other questions. <BR> <BR>Happy trails!! <BR> <BR>Bob <BR>

Mary Mar 7th, 2001 08:16 AM

Bob, <BR> <BR>How long did it take you to get a confirmation on your reservations for the Scavi Tour? I emailed the office about a month ago and have yet to get anything other than the automatic reply. We leave in a few weeks so I'm beginning to wonder. <BR> <BR>Thanks! Mary

Paul Mar 7th, 2001 08:35 AM

Tania - we took the Scavi tour 2 years ago, and highly recommend it! It was great!! You are taken through the excavations (scavi) underneath St. Peter's, where they show you the remains of the early Christian burials, including what they think may be the actual tomb of St. Peter. You'll also walk by a support for one of the 4 Bernini columns upstairs. Enjoy! <BR> <BR>Mary - we got confirmation back from the Scavi office within a week (not the auto-reply). I'd phone or fax them directly if you're leaving soon.

Bob Mar 7th, 2001 12:58 PM

Mary, <BR> <BR>I got confirmation fairly quickly, I believe within 2 weeks. <BR> <BR>I agree, try to fax as quickly as possible. See if you get an answer before you leave. <BR> <BR>If you don't hear from them, when you get to Rome, I would go right to the Scavi office & see if you can get in on a tour while you were there. That could work also. Best of luck. <BR> <BR>Bob

Mary Mar 7th, 2001 07:59 PM

Bob and Paul, <BR> <BR>Thank you for your replies. I'll go ahead and send a fax this time. I'll be sure to go straight to the office. It sounds like we don't want to miss this one! <BR> <BR>Mary

Gerry Mar 7th, 2001 09:17 PM

Mary: <BR>I also e-mailed my app. for the scavi tour. I do not have easy access to a fax machine. Got a reply within four days after the automatic response with an assigned time and reference number and directions on where and how to pick up my tickets. (Just before the tour.) Sounds like they lost yours. You could try e-mailing them again explaining the situation. I gave them the dates I would be in Rome and they picked the date and time. Mine at 12 noon. Have heard that their e-mails are hit and miss.

Lorraine Apr 13th, 2001 04:41 AM

I received an email confirmation for a Scavi tour which asked for payment in advance by "money order or personal bank check." Does this mean they will accept a personal check in dollars from a US checking account?

Ed Apr 13th, 2001 05:59 AM

Yes. <BR> <BR>twenj