Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed on lake Como in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 03:17 AM
louise

we will be there in july and thinking about staying at Villa D'Este. Has any stayed there ? we will be there for 1 day on our way to Udine. thanksfor the help

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Vincenzo

Dear Louise, not an answer but a question ?<BR>Are you sure to stay at Villa d'Este ?<BR>It needs much and much money.<BR>In the same fine small town on the lake, Cernobbio, there is an hotel cheaper than Villa d'Este and, after my personal opinion, more charming.<BR>It is Asnigo, four stars.<BR>It is around green, over the lake, rooms are very comfortable and silent.<BR>Your wallet and I suggest it.<BR>Sorry for my bad English.<BR>Have a nice trip.<BR>Ciao.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Ian

Louise<BR>Don't think about it just do it !<BR>You will never regret at night there.<BR>If your budget allows it and you are going to Florence stay at Villa San Michele on the slopes leading up to Fiesole or as a minimum have dinner there. <BR>These two places are magical.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 05:18 AM
ali

It will be an unforgettable experience! We stayed there on our honeymoon last March, and it is straight out of a wonderful fairy tale. It is a place where you can completely just forget your worries, where they treat you like royalty (even if you are just little people like us). The building is gorgeous, the grounds are fit for a queen, and having a snack on the terrace is worth the price of the room for the view and the ambience. Yes, it is quite a bit of money, but not nearly as much as a Ritz, or other such large hotel chains. It was a splurge for us, but I had dreamed about it since I was probably 12 years old and I actually shed a tear when I left. Wow, I still sound smitten by the place! And I am. So if you can, just go, enjoy it, have dinner at either of their restaurants, and have a fabulous time.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Del

Two questions: is there a web site for afore-mentioned Asnigo on Lake Como? How much did the rooms run at the Villa San Michele?

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 09:19 AM
louise

thank you for your input.. I ahve heard such beautiful things about that area. last question... Serbelloni in bellagio or Villa D'Este? The price is not that much of an issue. thanks

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 11:15 AM
zouaggie

http://www.travel-italy.com/hotels/h...ct/asnigo.html

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Kay

Louise, I too had a difficult time trying to decide on the location of Bellagio or the hotel Villa D'Este. I read several reviews that indicated that the rooms were a bit shabby at the Serbelloni and the staff was rude. I opted for the Villa D'Este. Kay

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Danie

we stayed at the Serbollini in October. Now, this is a place just out of paradise. the rooms are GREAT, HUGHE, FANTASTIC. we felt like we died and got to heaven. The staff was great and the location in Bellagio is the best on the lake.<BR>I would stay there again and again if I could.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 12:11 PM
coco

I have to jump in here to agree with Danie...wouldn't want anyone to actually believe for one moment that the rooms at Villa Serbollini are shabby or that the staff is rude. Have stayed there numerous times and love it. Also think being in Bellagio offers a lot more to do and see and places to eat and drink than Villa d'Este, tho it is beautiful too (I've only eaten there.)

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Kay

I am glad you enjoyed the Serbellini. I am sure it is fabulous. I have read many mixed reviews though on the staff and rooms. The web site does nothing to enhance the room images. I would agree that it appears to be in a better location.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Jen from Canada

Dear Louise. I stayed at a hostel in Lake Como and the rooms were very clean. They also serve supper there which are three course meals with wine and are pretty satisfying. It is also in a good location. My best friend and I loved it so much there that we stayed a couple of extra days. It is very relaxing and beautiful. There is some interesting sculptures near the Gianni Versace museum. One day my friend and I went on a day trip to Parma which was also a good thing to do. I noticed that a lot of hotels were expensive there which is why we stayed at Ostella Villa Olmo Via Bellinzona, 2- 22100 COMO. It was 32 Canadian. It may be more now since I was there three years ago. attardothe hostel.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Lulu

Stayed at the Serbelloni on my honeymoon last year and loved it! The room was gorgeous and the staff couldn't have been more polite or extremely helpful. The town of Bellagio is delightful. Have been to Villa D'Este for lunch but preferred the Serbelloni.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 03:03 AM
Sally

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Florence in Bellagio? It is mentioned on Karen Brown. Also, if traveling there mid June does one need air conditioning in the hotel? Thanks, Sally

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Lenore

Hello Vincenzo<BR><BR>I stayed in Cernobbio last March at the Giardino Hotel and really enjoyed the town, the hotel and the people. Very friendly, I must say. Prices very reasonable at the hotel, and comfortable, nothing fancy. Fell in love with Lake Como and would go back in a heartbeat. Future plans don't get me back up that way again, wish though I could have stayed longer. <BR>Lenore