Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone stayed here? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-stayed-here-550278/)

rickim Aug 8th, 2005 05:57 PM

Has anyone stayed here?

I am planning a honeymoon and am thinking of staying at the Porto Eloundo in Crete- beachfront bungalow with pool. Does anyone know if this is situated right on the beach or is it a trek to the beach.
I'm also looking at the Myconian Ambassador-executive suite with pool and Grande Bretagne in Athens.
Anyone have any experiences with these hotels?
Thanks.

rex Aug 8th, 2005 06:10 PM

I see that you are new here - - how did I know that? click on your own name (this is one of the numerous useful tips that Fodors fails to tell you when they send you that first e-mail confirming your registration) - - we'll assume that you have also not taken the time to read the "HELP" (little tiny red letters in the upper lefthand corner) - - another oversight that Fodors fails to recommend to you to do.

Anyhow, you owe it to yourself to take a look there: http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm - - especially http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm#Q6 - - which I have listed below, in excerpt form, for you (my own emphasis added):

=========================

Finally, create a title - make sure it is concise and clearly describes your message (<b>and destination</b>, if applicable) -- and write your message in the space provided

==========================

Thus, when you re-post - - and you really <b>should</b> do that - - be sure and mention <b>Greece</b> (or even better, Athens, and Crete) in your message header.

Best wishes,

Rex

Patrick Aug 8th, 2005 06:10 PM

OK, some will think me rude, and I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm curious how hard it would have been to have added the name of the hotel into your title instead of asking every single browser here to click to see where you are talking about, particularly since probably 9/10s of those here have never even been to Greece.
This is meant as a helpful suggestion for your next post. In addition to saving time for all those who haven't been to Greece, it would better attract anyone who possibly does KNOW the hotel you mention in the title.

janis Aug 8th, 2005 06:40 PM

What Rex and Patrick said -- PLUS FYI -- there is no Greece board, juts a general Europe Forum. So your thread is lumped in w/ questions about Lisbon and London and Iceland and everywhere else.

You MIGHT get a useful response, but you improve your odds 100000% if you re-post w/ Crete and the hotel name in your title.

rex Aug 8th, 2005 06:51 PM

I think that's getting harsh janis... and interestingly enough, I must say that destination-specific headers do not seem to help the OP get an answer all that much. They get them... or don't... and the main variable seems to be as simple as - - does anyone know an answer to the question!

It's &quot;considerateness&quot; to the rest of the board that is the chief issue, in my opinion.

Lastly, I think it's not really accurate to say that there is &quot;no Greece board&quot;. Here it is:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgTopic...31&amp;start=0

Admittedly, it's a &quot;virtual&quot; space (isn't everything on the internet?) - - it's only a subfraction of the full Europe board, and it is surmised that few people use the forum this way. But to those who do, it very much does exist, and rickim can use the forum that way if s/he chooses (but might miss a lot!)

janis Aug 8th, 2005 07:19 PM

Whoa, Rex. I fail to see one inconsiderate word in my post.

No -- there is no Greece forum - virtual or real.

Clicking on Greece merely brings up the relatively few threads where the OP remembered to click Greece before they previewed or posted their entry. If you click on any country you will see that barely 2/3 of the overall threads for that country will display . . . . .

rex Aug 8th, 2005 07:38 PM

Your use of UPPER CASE, your hyperbole of 100000% (I actually can't think of any way to calculate the &quot;odds&quot; of a question getting answered here, let alone how one could compare odds between two postings!), and the assertion that there is no Greece board all struck me as &quot;piling on&quot;.

50 posts have been made to the &quot;greece forum&quot; in the past 8 days. Not one of those is currently on the &quot;front page&quot; (first 50) of the Europe foeum, except for this post which has now been topped alot, with no answers. To the extent that the people invloved on those 50 posts of the past week (or month, or whatever) <i>believe</i> that their participation constitutes th &quot;Greece forum&quot;, well, then, I submit that they are right, at least in some cirtual sense. At least they can find each other, and the posts on which they, themselves have been posting... and reading.

It's far from elegant, as a datbase structure - - but it is one of the few things that work here, and to deny that it exists, is simply going at alienating rickim, and others focused (partly or exclusively) on Greece.

Spygirl Aug 8th, 2005 08:12 PM

Rickim-pay no heed to the above -(and even the 100000 per cent odds that Janis quotes with with such certainty-sheesh!).

Unfortunately, I can't help you with your Crete question, but I do congratulate you on your choice, as I think it an EXCELLENT honeymoon destination!

As for the Grande Bretagne in Athens, I know Mk2, a Londoner on this board, has raved about this hotel, so you might try doing a search in the search box above for posts on the Grande Bretagne. Also, if you haven't already, you should go to www.tripadvisor.com, and put in the name of the hotel- you will get lots of useful reviews that way. Good luck!

Spygirl Aug 8th, 2005 08:42 PM

Rickim: I found this post on the Grande Bretagne, which might be helpful to you-I can't see to put in the correct URL on these posts, so I'll just reprint it in its entirety:

Author: SloPugs
Date: 09/06/2004, 02:34 pm
Wondering if anyone here has stayed at the Grande Bretagne in Athens and can tell me a first-hand opinion about the &quot;Deluxe&quot; vs. &quot;Classic&quot; rooms (something different than the web site descriptions which makes both seem equally good, of course).

Also, if you have been to the spa, what treatments did you receive, and how was the service and facilities?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: m_kingdom2
Date: 09/06/2004, 02:37 pm
Classic rooms are smaller and have inward views over the internal atrium which is planted out. However, I had a deluxe room which had a much larger bathroom, and a very long balcony with Acropolis views. I will bring my original post which includes fuller descriptions to the top.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: m_kingdom2
Date: 09/06/2004, 02:45 pm
I never had any SPA treatments (I'm not one to have massages as any benefit for me is lost instantly), but if they're anything like the rest of the SPA, you won't be disappointed.

Author: SloPugs
Date: 11/08/2004, 12:51 am
As a follow up to this post: our stay at the GB OCT '04 was WONDERFUL! The spa and treatments were top notch. The rooftop pool wasn't bad either. They did a great job with their recent renovation. Very consistent quality throughout the hotel~not a shabby corner was to be seen. The location was perfect for touring the historical city center on foot. It was a nice place to retreat to from the urban bustle. All this comes at a high price, but I think it was well worth it. I thought the food was very good, but not great. The room was NOT huge, but it was VERY comfortable, especially the bed.

Spygirl Aug 8th, 2005 08:44 PM

Correction: I can't &quot;seem&quot; to put in the correct URL-

worldinabag Aug 8th, 2005 08:51 PM

Hi

Congratulations on your engagement. Have a look at Trip Advisors - www.tripadvisors.com - for reviews of hotels. This link for reviews of Porto Elonda - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...nda_Crete.html

All the best for the future

Spygirl Aug 8th, 2005 08:57 PM

Actually world-it's www.tripadvisor.com.

worldinabag Aug 9th, 2005 12:51 AM

Ooops

Thanks spygirl. Too much retsina!

Patrick Aug 9th, 2005 05:00 AM

Rex, why are you questioning the idea of no Greece forum? You are about as particular as one can get about using the correct terminology. There is a Europe forum and a US forum and lots of other forums. Within each forum, there are various topics (country name or otherwise) which may be used to search within that forum. But there IS NO Greece forum as such. Period, end of story.

rex Aug 9th, 2005 05:32 AM

Click on your own name, Patrick, and you will see that there isn't even a &quot;Europe forum&quot; - - just one big database. The analogy is not perfect, but to those people who <i>believe</i> that http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgTopic...31&amp;start=0 is &quot;their&quot; Greece &quot;forum&quot; - - where they can predictably find posts involving those people most &quot;into&quot; Greece, I think it is way over-simplistic to say that such a thing does not <i>virtually</i> exist.