Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at this apt in the Marais?

Feb 15th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

http://bienvenueaparis.com/apt-bourg.htm

I am renting the one bedroom on Bourg Tibourg. Any advice, suggestions, opinions?
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:03 PM

This apartment was on my short list for a couple years. The only reason we didn't rent it was we were booking about 10 months ahead and they would only reserve with FULL payment that far in advance.

There was quite a thread here about that specific apartment. One poster mentioned that when they arrived there was an old sofa stuck in the apartment as well as some other things -- including I think a dried out tacky flower arrangement. After much discussion and even a response from the owner on this forum, we found out that there had been some sort of problem and the items had been inadvertently stuck in that apartment. As I recall the owner said he was never notified or he would have had them removed immediately. I think the place looks great -- I know the location and like it a lot -- and is fairly priced. Go for it.

I think if you search "Bourg Tibourg" here you might find that other thread -- but no guarantee.
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:11 PM

We stayed there last June for a week and were very satisfied. We actually tried to reserve again this year but it was already booked. If you have specific questions, I'd be glad to answer them. Also, there are a couple of posts on here by "epi" which detail the apt.
Feb 17th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks NeoPatrick and mvor. I did find that review that was less than positive, so it's nice to hear from someone that has stayed there and has positive things to say. Although we are booking out (Aug), the only asked for a 50% deposit. Maybe they have made changes there. mvor- was the apt very noisy (late at night,early morning). And how was the a/c?
Feb 19th, 2007, 06:37 AM

My daughter and her husband have rented it for a week in about 1 week from now. So she can give you her opinion upon return.
Feb 19th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks lyban, I will be looking for it. I am pretty sold on it nevertheless. I've looked back at epi recommendations and she/he? has decided to make it "their" apt when in Paris. If you daughter has any other advice, I would love to hear it.
Feb 19th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Interesting about only requiring half as deposit. When we had checked and were given the policy of the full amount up front, we ended up renting another place instead. Then I got an email from the owner of this one asking if we still wanted those dates. I responded that the full price up front was the main reason we didn't take it, as well as no guarantee we'd get anything back even if we cancelled 6 months ahead! I had asked abut less deposit since it was so far in advance, but they had stuck firm to their policy. Nice that they have apparently changed.
Feb 19th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick, this is straight off of the rental agreement-I'd say changes for the better? The only negative would be that if I cancel either way, I end up losing some or all of my money. Hum, maybe I should get some insurance?

4. Client shall send a deposit of 50% of the rental amount upon execution of this agreement. This may be paid by check, wire transfer. Credit cards are not accepted at this time. The balance shall be due on or before 30 days prior to arrival. If this agreement is executed within 30 days of the rental date, the entire rental amount shall be due immediately. All such payments shall be made only by wire transfer or by personal check via overnight courier.

5. If Client cancels 45 days prior to the arrival date, we will refund 50% of the rental deposit. We do not refund monies for cancellations made within 45 days of the reservation date. We strongly advise the Client to purchase trip cancellation insurance to compensate in the event of a cancellation.

Feb 19th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Well, I don't think those cancellation policies are that unusual, although I like the ones that will refund it all if they do rent your time (of course, you have to trust them to be honest about that).

But with the above description, cancelling let's say 2 months out would cost you 25% of the total rent. As I recall the old way -- paid in full to book would have cost 50% or possibly 100% of the entire rent -- I forget which.
Feb 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Re: Noise and A/C

We arrived on Gay Pride Day and smack in the middle of the World Cup (France vs. Spain, if I recall) so the area was buzzing. However, with the windows closed and the A/C on, it was very quiet. In the mornings, I'd open the windows and listen to the city wake up. (The apartment is directly above a restaurant but we only heard noise from them when we walked up/down the stairs.)

The A/C (two separate units in the living room and bedroom) worked very well to cool the whole place. It actually broke when we were there and it was fixed in one day. The unit is housed on the landing and we think the painters who were working in the building during our stay may have disturbed it…not really sure but it worked fine for the remainder of our visit (last week of June) and we really needed it.

We also locked ourselves out of the apartment and Barbara (the local contact) came back into town to let us in. She's lovely and very helpful.

As I said earlier, we'll rent from them again. The price is very fair for the space/quality of apartment.

Here's epi's slowtrav review incase you haven't seen it:

http://www.slowtrav.com/france/vr/review.asp?n=1300

Feb 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice and opinions- I am sold! If only August were sooner!