Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at the Owl Hotel in Amsterdam???

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Ginger

I'd like some feedback if anyone has stayed there.

Thanks.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 10:22 PM
richardab

I stayed in the Owl a few years ago and thought it was a nice quiet hotel. I believe they have since renovated so it must be a bit better now. It is located a short walk off the Leidseplein in a very quiet neighborhood. The staff speaks good breakfast and offers a good Dutch breakfast with your room rate.

I have also stayed at the Westropa which is also nearby. The rates were a bit cheaper and The Westropa also offers a clean modern room at a bargain price. As typical, they also offer a Dutch breakfast with the room rate. The staff speaks English and are very friendly.

Check out links to the Owl and Westropa on my websight. There is also some other practical info about hotels in Amsterdam.

http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/

Follow the path

Enter>Fly>Europe>Amsterdam>Sleep

Some of the links in this section aren't ready but the SLEEP section is.

I also have a lot of info about Rome on my sight, should you decide to take a side trip!

Have Fun!

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 11:50 PM
frank

It's in a very quiet street near the museums.No safe in my room, easy to use the one at reception.Long walk to the old town, get a strip of tram tickets.No complaints.I much prefer the Doelen.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Ginger

Thanks Richard and Frank for the info. By the way Richard, great looking website!

I tried the Westropa but they were booked (and more expensive). The Owl had the best rate (around $100US a night).

Any other suggestions?

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Chameleon

I was in Amsterdam Nov 2K with friends for the Cannabis Cup, so I saw my far share. For atmosphere,de Rokerij Lange Leidsedwarsstraat 43 is way cool. Looks like the Arabian Nights. For food, Barneys Breakfast Bar Haarlemmerstraat 102, very relaxed, ate there twice. But our FAVORITE place was The Doors Singel 14 near Central Station, more of a local hangout, but friendly & great music. If you stop by on the day shift, look for Steve, he's a blast!