Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at the Lawrence's Hotel or Quintas das Sequoias in Sintra?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is our problem. We booked the Quinta das Sequoias in September, but they don't have availability for our first night, they only have the following three nights. We could stay at the Lawrence's Hotel for one night and then move, or stay at the Lawrence's Hotel for all four nights. We've never been to Portugal, so I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:38 AM

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Portugal with my parents. My parents stayed at the Quinta das Sequoias which is a lovely building with lots of sitting rooms, gardens, outdoor patios, and a swimming pool. It looks like a palace and sits off the main road. Lawrence's is just around the corner, but sits closer to the road. We just looked in the lobby so I can't speak to the hotel. Wish I could help you more, but moving to another hotel will not be a big hassle if that is your plan.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:47 AM

Okay - I was totally confused on my last response. My parents stayed at Palacio de Seteias - my husband and I stayed at Quinta das Sequoias. Lawrence's is within walking distance to downtown Sintra. The Quinta is a few miles away and sits on top of a large wooded hill. It is a wonderful "home" with an excellent breakfast and charming hosts. The only downside is its location as you have to drive into town for dinner and all site seeing. If you want to be within walking distance of everything than you should stay at Lawrence's. Also, I'm not sure where you are from, but driving in Sintra was an experience for me (from the US) - lots of narrow streets and blind turns that the locals are used to driving.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jen for the thoughtful reply. How long is the drive into town? We will have a car.