Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Mansart in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Angela

I would appreciate any comments regarding this hotel situated near Place Vendome. It has been highly praised in Great Sleeps in Paris by S. Gustafson. The rooms are supposedly very spacious as well as the bathrooms. Is it very far from the Latin Qtr. to walk? I would like comments from actual guests who have been there. Thanks very much.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:43 AM
RnR

The location is wonderful, right in the heart of one of the most upscale areas of the city. And a very easy walk across the river to the Quartier, to the islands, the Marias, down toward the Place de la Concorde, up toward L'Opera. Sandra Gustafson is very reliable. If the rate is good, I wouldn't hesitate. Her Cheap Eats book has been a lifesaver for many as well. Have a nice trip to a lovely city!!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:44 AM
RnR

Pardon, the Marais.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Angela

RnR, thanks for the positive comments. Great to know. I have always concentrated on the most popular areas (i.e. Latin Qtr. and St. Germain des Pres) and never considered other areas to stay. I really would like to have a comfortable room as do many people but not pay a fortune for it. The hotels in the 5th and 6th arr. charge outrageous rates due to location and the larger the rooms, the higher the cost. I'll look into the Mansart's rates; if they have a good offer it'll be good as the location sounds central the way you describe it.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:11 AM
RnR

While I dearly love the 5th-6th-7th, the parallel areas across the Seine are wonderful. And offer so many places for walking. As the river bends west to east, and then south a bit, you can see what possibilities are offered by looking at a simple map: Place Charles de Gaulle straight down the Champs Elysees, to Rue de Rivoli and Rue St-Honore, and then on down to the Marais. Off to the side, many possibilites - Place de Vendome, des Tuileries, the two islands, and so forth. When I first went to Paris, I had the joy of living there for six months, in school, and of course it had to be the 5th or 6th. The so-called Right Bank now offers as much if not more, and thankfully my budget has improved a bit to allow me the enjoy the RB joys. Have a wonderful trip, and by all means, post on your experiences.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Angela

Well, I checked with the hotel and they don't offer any discounts for low seasons (I think Ms. Gustafson's rates are not updated). But their standard double room seems spacious enough (for Europe) at 25 meters square. And the deluxe is humungous at 25-40 meters. But the std. double is around 170 euro while the deluxe is high 200 euro! <BR><BR>But it's hard to decide as I've checked with some quite popular St. Germain hotels and they are offering up to 200 euro regular and even less than that during low season for a deluxe double. <BR><BR>Well, I've got some time still to decide.