Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Antiche Mura in Sorrrento Italy?

Mar 5th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

It looks like the Hotel Antiche Mura does not have sea view rooms. Has anyone stayed at this hotel? What are your comments about the hotel and its' rooms. I am looking for a hotel that is is in a quiet area, and is not to far from the train station. Hotel Excelsior Vittoria is very expensive.. Settimo Cielo is a distance fron the train station and center of town. Thanks for any advice.
Mar 5th, 2010, 06:32 PM

Not me, but clients. They wanted to be in the center, it was winter and they really enjoyed this hotel. They said they had a great time there and the staff was good.

I'm sorry that I can't tell you what the rooms were like.
Mar 5th, 2010, 08:39 PM

We stayed there in November of 2005. Room was beautiful; breakfast was quite extensive. Hotel is a block away from center of town, convenient location. We took Marozzi coach bus from Rome to Sorrento (it drops you off a block from this hotel.) We walked to train that took us to Pompeii so if that is the only train station it isn't terribly far as I recall.
Mar 6th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information.
Claire50, how was the Marozzi bus trip? I have read mixed reviews from other folks that used a bus service rather than the train.
Mar 6th, 2010, 12:41 PM

Not yet, but we will in May for 2 nites. Location, location !
Mar 6th, 2010, 12:59 PM

We stayed here in January 2009 and really enjoyed it. The location was perfect for us -- about four or five blocks to the train station and a half block from the main square. The room was very nice and, as claire50 said, an extensive breakfast. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Staff was very friendly and helpful, too.
Mar 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM

The coach was fine: clean and comfortable, hardly anyone on it. We (husband and myself) did have to get ourselves to Tiburtina Station in Rome at a very early hour, though. We actually took a "dry run" on the metro during the day, the day before we left, to see where the station was and where our bus was. We're glad we did this. Everything worked out fine. (This was 2005 so I'm not sure if my info is still relevant. You would have to check.)
Mar 6th, 2010, 01:54 PM

I've stayed there a few times, and I think it's the best large hotel in the heart of Sorrento. Location is great. It has a nice pool in summer, and a garden area. The breakfast is outstanding! It's right on the edge of the gorge.
Mar 6th, 2010, 02:13 PM

My husband & I stayed there in October several years ago for 4 or 5 nights. It was perfect for us! Having a sea view room was not a priority on that trip. I would stay there, again, and recommend to others. Hope this helps...
Mar 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the posting! I am planning our stay at this hotel.