Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at The Grosvenor House, The Fielding or The Academy in London?

Search

Has anyone stayed at The Grosvenor House, The Fielding or The Academy in London?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 1998, 03:13 PM
Talia Cheung

If anyone has stayed at these hotels, I would appreciate your sharing your experiences in terms of how nice the rooms and bathrooms were, how helpful the staff was and how far the nearest tube station is. I am trying to find a suitable place for my elderly parents to stay -- they don't need luxury, but like semi-luxury or at least, very charming accommodations. Thanks!

Old May 7th, 1998, 04:42 PM
Paul J

Hi Talia;
We stayed at the Grosvenor House about two years ago. It' s supposed to be a top hotel. Our room was nice but very ordinary. However, we found out there is a wing of the hotel that was apparently an adjoining hotel.(Our room) Some people we met were assigned to it as well.They asked to have their room changed and it was without any hassle. Be alerted to this. It has a great reataurant. The location is very good. Enjoy...Paul J

Old May 8th, 1998, 09:25 AM
Dayna Le Duc

We stayed at the Fielding approximately three years ago and were not impressed with anything other than the location (Covent Garden). The furnishings were old, the bed was lumpy and the bathroom mirrors appeared to be double-sided which made us very uncomfortable! We hung towels over the mirrors while we showered! During our next trip to London we stayed at the Windermere Hotel near Victoria and were much happier. The service was friendly and a delicious breakfast was included all for the same price we paid at the Fielding (78 Pounds). Needless to say, I would not recommend the Fielding, it's definitely overpriced.

Old May 8th, 1998, 02:10 PM
Dayna

We stayed at the Fielding approximately three years ago and were not impressed with anything other than the location (Covent Garden). The furnishings were old, the bed was lumpy and the bathroom mirrors appeared to be double-sided which made us very uncomfortable! We hung towels over the mirrors while we showered! During our next trip to London we stayed at the Windermere Hotel near Victoria and were much happier. The service was friendly and a delicious breakfast was included all for the same price we paid at the Fielding (78 Pounds). Needless to say, I would not recommend the Fielding, it's definitely overpriced.

Old May 9th, 1998, 10:13 PM
Robert Escart

We stayed at the Academy -- the hotel is very nice but a little boring. I wouldh't call it charming. But the neighborhood, Bloomsbury, is very charming. Hope this helps.

Old May 21st, 1998, 07:56 AM
Natasha

I stayed at the Grosvenor. It was ok, I had a single room and it was over Victoria Station, needless to say, it was a little noisy. But for convinence sake, it was in the center of everything. The room was clean and it has a nice resturant. When I was there in 1995, the lobby was being renovated.