Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at the Crowne Plaza-Minerva in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:55 PM
Alice

Is the extra you pay to stay at the Crowne Plaza Minerva in Rome worth it? I have reservations there as well as D'Inhilterra and Raphael. The Minerva is the most expensive but sounds the nicest and might be the best location. Need input from someone who has seen it, not just read about it. Thanks.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 02:05 PM
Paul

Alice, <BR>My wife and I stayed at the Minerva in October of 1999. It was absolutely perfect! It is in the best location, exactly the center of a wheel whose spokes go in all directions. We walked everywhere, never took a taxi or the subway. The hotel is on a quiet square and i slept without earplugs for four nights and I'm a light sleeper. the rooms are very nice, but do vary in size so look at a few before you choose. The bathrooms are great with all marble and wonderful showers. The lobby is gorgeous and the view from the roof stupendous (the restaurant there is only open in spring and summer i think). There are tons of restaurants nearby and cafes. The Pantheon is right next door. The staff is friendly and everyone speaks English. Because it is part of the Crown Plaza chain which is Holiday Inns, we were able to get a huge discount on the room using AAA card. They have other discounts as well. We paid about $250 a night, I think. The rooms are very comfortable. I highly recommend it!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 07:06 AM
Carol

I haven't stayed at any of these hotels, but I've visited all of them. Of the three, the Minerva's interior is the glitziest and ritziest looking--lots of shiny shiny gilt, chandeliers, mirrors, etc. It does have a great location right across the street from one of my favorite churches in Rome. If you stay there, don't miss the chapel decorated by Lippi. This hotel is where American movie stars tend to stay these days. The Raphael is my favorite--it's on its own quiet private little piazza near the Piazza Navona and has a very elegant, intimate continental ambience. The D'Inhilterra is very old world and antiques on a tiny piazza right in the heart of the Piazza di Spagna shopping area. Overall though, I think you'll be very happy with any of these three--chacun a son gout!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:08 AM
Richard

Thanks Paul & Carol! We are staying there for 5 nights after Easter. We couldn't get anything less than $375 a night even though we booked it last November. Your comments made us feel a lot better.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 08:03 AM
travelers

My husband and I stayed at the Minerva in December. Got a great package for 3 nights including breakfast (even in room), taxes, VAT, and one hotel dinner (ok) for 1,500,000 lire. It was cheaper than some of the 4 stars in the same area (Centro Storico) which is SO central and within walking distance to most everything. We would stay again, particularly when rooftop lounge is open. Our room was smallish, but well appointed. We are very fussy, and found it very nice. We had a beautiful view of old ROman rooftops after we changed from a dark 2nd floor room. The location was tops!