Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at Hotel El Convento in Arcos or Hotel Don Miguel in Ronda?

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 08:40 PM
Karen

I'm planning a trip to Southern Spain end of June and I'm trying to decide on a place to stay in Arcos. El Convento is near the parador. Has anyone stayed there? Also, any news about the Don Miguel. Thanks.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 01:07 AM
Paige

We spent 2 nights at El Convento last November and liked it a lot. We had a nice room with TV and bathroom and a big balcony with a fabulous view. The people were nice and it's in a great location. I'd stay there again. Be sure and ask for a room with a balcony!!

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 04:34 AM
Mariarosa

Karen, we stayed 1 night at Hotel Los Olivos in Arcos and 1 night at Hotel Don Miguel in Ronda last March. Both were great places to stay on a non-Parador budget.

Our room in los Olivos overlooked empty rolling hills. It was charming, with big new bathroom. There was a pretty terrace on the top of the hotel with nice views. It was not fancy, though. My Fodors "Places of Character and Charm" recommends both Los Olivos and El Convento in Arcos. Both would probably be a good choice. You should know that El Convento is higher up in the town - in the main "old sites" whereas Los Olivos is closer to the more "modern" plaza (not really modern) with the "newer" restaurants and the cinema. We saw the locals hanging out in the "modern" plaza, but the older part is more beautiful.

We requested a room at Don Miguel overlooking the gorge...the view was great - there was a french door that opens into the gorge (there are bars all the way down to avoid a mishap). The location is perfect, the price is right and the bathroom was new and spacious. The decor was nothing to write home about and it wasn't exactly charming...but what a great view from the room! I definitely recommend it. Enjoy your trip!

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 05:26 AM
AW

We stayed at Hotel Los Olivos in Arcos, and recommend it. Very clean and fresh, with a nice open-air breakfast area on a terrace. Our room had only two single beds that could not be pushed together because of the configuration. I'm sure other rooms had doubles, but we didn't see them. Lots of easy parking in a large lot next door. It's a short walk to the old town. We walked to dinner at El Convento. I can't comment on the accommodations there but the food was very good and the building itself is impressive.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Graziella

We stayed at the Parador but ate at El Convento and was great better than the parador, if I go back I shall stay there. Buena suerte.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 11:43 PM
Paige

Just FYI, the restaurant isn't in the same building as the hotel. The hotel sits right on the edge of the cliff.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 06:49 PM
gail

Hi. We stayed one overnight in the Don Miguel last March. The price was great, the room was plain but clean, very nice bathroom, we asked for and got a room with a view of the gorge which was absolutely spectacular, and had a very nice dinner in the hotel dining room.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 06:58 PM
lynn

In Dec. of '99 we planned on spending 2 nights @ the El Convento, but loved the location so much that we extended an extra night. Had one of the rooms w/ a balcony overlooking the gorge, and spent quite a few hours reading in the sun. Great value. Would definately stay there again. Warning, get ready for an interesting drive to get there. THE narrowest streets we'd ever been on. Think thin!