Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at a great Orvieto hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 11:05 AM
Carol

I'm planning a trip to Umbria this spring by bus/train. So far my plan is to spend a few days in Orvieto and do some day trips; spend more time in Perugia and do lots of day trips and maybe spend one or two nights in Spello or Spoleto before returning to Rome for the flight home. I've visited Assisi a couple of times and am not sure I'll stop there again. I plan to stay in the Fortuna Hotel in Perugia, and the Hotel Palazzo Bocci in Spello. <BR> I'm hoping someone will recommend a lovely little hotel in Orvieto, and I would also welcome any itinerary suggestions.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 11:12 AM
AJ

Carol, we looked at several little Orvieto hotels and were disappointed in most. Then we found the monastery of La Badia, just outside Orvieto and will stay there every time.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 09:09 AM
Carol

to the top

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 12:10 PM
Elsa

Does anyone have anything to add to this question? <BR> <BR>THANKS

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 12:53 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Yes I do---thank you ! <BR>The Villa Bellago is about 8 miles from <BR>Orvieto on the shores of Lago Corbara <BR>and makes a very good base for this area. Also, very reasonable for a nice <BR>3 star--if you are driving. I will be <BR>there in late March. <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 03:23 PM
Ed

We've not stayed at La Badia but have eaten there. The food is excellent, the view marvelous, and it's right above the highway. Setting is across the valley from the Orvieto hilltop. Splendid scene. <BR> <BR>We did inspect the rooms after our afternoon meal. Spartan (as one might expect in a monastery), but adequate and clean. <BR> <BR>We've never managed to get Orvieto on our itinerary for an overnight since, but have always planned (and wished) to stay at La Badia. <BR> <BR>A charming article by a friend about Orvieto at www.twenj.com/orvieto.htm <BR> <BR>For AJ: If you have on hand info about La Badia such as phone, fax, approximate rates and any other comments I'd like to add your recommendation to the Orvieto article for those looking for a place to stay. Ed <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 03:25 PM
Ed

We've not stayed at La Badia but have eaten there. The food is excellent, the view marvelous, and it's right above the highway. Setting is across the valley from the Orvieto hilltop. Splendid scene. <BR> <BR>We did inspect the rooms after our afternoon meal. Spartan (as one might expect in a monastery), but adequate and clean. <BR> <BR>We've never managed to get Orvieto on our itinerary for an overnight since, but have always planned (and wished) to stay at La Badia. <BR> <BR>A charming article by a friend about Orvieto at www.twenj.com/orvieto.htm <BR> <BR>For AJ: If you have on hand info about La Badia such as phone, fax, approximate rates and any other comments I'd like to add your recommendation to the Orvieto article for those looking for a place to stay. Ed

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 04:36 PM
Pat Schulte

We were in Orvieto in January and stayed at the Hotel Virgilio..it is right next to the duomo...rooms were very nice. We were also in Spoleto and stayed at the Hotel Clitunno...Spoleto and Oriveto are great "walking cities" I highly recommend them.

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 05:17 PM
Elsa

Hi BOB the NAVIGATOR, <BR>I assume you had parking at Villa Bellago, right? Did you park in a "car park" outside Orvieto and walk or take the bus to the town? From what I have read in doing a SEARCH on this Forum, it seems that is what you have to do. Any problems with that? <BR> <BR>I think we will take the train from Rome to Orvieto, and then rent a car there to do a little exploring. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip. We're going mid-April. <BR> <BR>Elsa <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 04:39 AM
stephen

<BR>we've stayed in orvieto/La badia, three different times. we recommend it highly. also dine at tratt. etrusca, close to the duomo.