Has anyone rented a motor home in Italy?

Jun 30th, 1999, 09:45 AM
Peggy

Has anyone rented a motor home in Italy?

We are going to Italy in mid-Sep. I just found a site to rent motor homes. Does anyone know of good places to camp near Rome and Florence that has transportation to those cities? Can you stay in Hostels with the motor home? I camped near Venice years ago, when my husband was stationed in Germany, but haven't tried it in Florence or Rome.

Jul 1st, 1999, 09:07 PM
Cathy

Peggy,

My husband and I used our camper van in the Florence area last January. The campground we used was in Fiesole near Florence. The campground was very nice, but most of the additional amenities--restaurant, bar, etc.,-- were closed for the season.
It also was a good hike from the bus stop--down hill going , and UP HILL coming back. So unless you like to walk up hill . . .

We never did find the campground in Florence although one does exist.

We purchased an Italian campground directory at one of the Tourist Informational Kiosks at one of the toll way rest stops.

We did not go to Rome, so I cannont say what the campgrounds there are like, if they are near or far from public transportation, etc.

Two books which might offer you some insights are: EXPLORING EUROPE BY RV, by Dennis and Tina Jaffe, and, EUROPE BY VAN AND MOTORHOME, by David Shore and Patty Campbell.

One other thought: you are very smart not to try to drive with your motorhome through Florence or Rome. The traffic is horrific, and so many of the streets around the museums are closed to traffic.

Good luck and have a terrific time!

Cathy

Jul 1st, 1999, 10:37 PM
Tricia

I have the one book, Europe By Ban and Motorhome by D.Shore and P.Campbell and it is or was $13.95 plust $2.00 S &H. Call 1/800 659-5222. I found them on the internet as well but the page I printed out has no URL- maybe you can do a URL Search- but. In the back it says the book I have is a condensed version of a full length book they have written on RV travel. They do say you should go to AAA and buy an International Camping Carnet, which identifies you as a serious camper and accords you more respect. She says many campgrounds have laundromats, a store and a restaurant and a bar and sometimes even a disco. some offer free hot showers must must are coin operated and not all campgrounds have hot water. The best Campground guide is Camping and Caravanning in Europe published by the Automobile Association of Great Britain (AA) and available in the US at bookstores or from the AAA. It helps to know that "camping" is a universally understood word in all the languages of Europe. The international camping sign is 'C'. Its a great book!

Jul 5th, 1999, 05:38 PM
Peggy

Thank you so much for your informations. I don't think they have hookups like we do here, so I think we might have to think about this more. I have reservations at hotels, but thought it would be fun to camp. I need to get more info. Walking up hill isn't my favorite thing to do! I should be doing it though.

Jul 8th, 1999, 05:29 AM
topper

!