Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone really travelled Ireland solely by train? How was it?

Mar 13th, 2001, 07:35 AM
gina

I'd like to know because I really don't want to try to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. But neither do I want to take a bus tour. If you travel by train, is their public transportation sufficient to see all the sights? I'd be interested in hearing comments and experiences. Thanks!

Mar 13th, 2001, 07:46 AM
Dave

Gina,

If you take a look at the route map at www.irishrail.ie, you will see the problems with touring Ireland by rail.

First, the rail network is not as extensive as in much of Europe and the UK. Second, most of the routes extend outward from Dublin (or nearly so), which means a lot of back-traking. And perhaps most importantly, the Best of Ireland is found in small towns and villages without any rail service whatsoever.

I traveled about the Republic by public transport on Bus Eireann (plus several day-tours) last spring and was able to see most of what I wanted. You won't have the same flexibility as with a rental car, but more than with a guided tour.

While traveling by public coach in Ireland is not as easy as traveling by rail in England (as an example), It can be enjoyable and rewarding experience. (Plus it's fairly cheap!)

Dave

PS: If you search on this forum you should find other recent postings on this topic.

Mar 13th, 2001, 08:07 AM
gina

Thanks, Dave. That is pretty much what I thought. I appreciate your response and anyone else's???

Mar 13th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Brenda

Don't do it. You will waste a lot of time and not get to see the best of Ireland. Either go by bus or rent a car. I drive over there all the time and it's not a BIG deal. If you are leary, rent an automatic. After an hour driving you'll be acclimated. Just take extra care at the roundabouts and don't drive in or around Dublin at the beginning. Best suggestion is to fly into Shannon and rent a car there. The roads in the West are much easier to navigate while you're adjusting.

Mar 13th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Kym

Don't EVER drive in Dublin. It doesn't make any sense.

If you do go by bus, remember that some bus routes operate only in the summer.

Mar 13th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Cathy

Gina,
As an Irish person living in Ireland I won't touch most of the rail network with a 10 foot pole - it ius under resources, late and slower now than 100 years ago and I am not kidding. The Sligo Dublin line had no heating fro a 5 hr journey time every day for about month in winter - passageners were advised to bring warm drinks and a blanket for the duration of their journey. The netwrok and the carriages have been ignored for years and are on their last legs - with some noteable exceptions eg the Belfast-Dublin service. For all public transport in Ireland try www.cie.ie and following the various links,

Hope this helps and stay away from the trains,

Cathy