Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone read "The Crimson Petal and the White?" (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-read-the-crimson-petal-and-the-white-353608/)

teacherlady Aug 31st, 2003 10:32 AM

Has anyone read "The Crimson Petal and the White?"

Okay, I know it isn't much of a European travel question but it does take place in London, right? Anyway, I 'd really like to hear your comments about the book and whether or not you'd recommend it. I keep seeing it in the bookstores and I know some reviews have been very positive, but I trust the word-of-mouth opinion more. Please let me know what you thought. Thanks!

teacherlady Aug 31st, 2003 11:43 AM

This is falling fast. Guess it wasn't among the bestsellers of the Fodorites. Anyone have any comments about this book?

Marilyn Aug 31st, 2003 11:52 AM

It's on my list to read but haven't gotten to it yet. Reviews were excellent.

HowardR Aug 31st, 2003 01:40 PM

A fantastic book! Read it.

HowardR Aug 31st, 2003 01:41 PM

PS: Why would you trust comments from people (like me) whom you know little or nothing about, rather than experienced reviewers?

teacherlady Aug 31st, 2003 07:20 PM

Well, Howard I guess I know you as well as I know a reviewer. I guess I was just looking for a review from "your Average Joe". And I guess people on this forum would be interested in a novel with a strong sense of "place" which is why I asked. I've read many books that were praised by "experienced reviewers" that I thought were really not all that great. Just thought I'd ask...

Christina Aug 31st, 2003 07:26 PM

If you prefer reviews from readers, why don't you go to a bookstore web site where anyone can write a review and they have many for current books, such as amazon.com etc?

JenV Aug 31st, 2003 08:18 PM

I don't understand why people on the forum answer a post with a criticism or question why or what was posted. Either answer the question or don't respond at all.

As to the book, it was excellent! I actually cried as I finished the last page, knowing it was over.

lyb Aug 31st, 2003 11:58 PM

I haven't heard about this book yet, what is it about?

hansikday Sep 1st, 2003 02:42 AM

Better read: The Dress Lodger by Sheri Holman

Sylvia Sep 1st, 2003 02:47 AM

I thought it was excellent. Perhaps it's not suitable for Great Aunt Nellie though ;-)

HowardR Sep 1st, 2003 05:51 AM

Good response, teacherlady! My wife (a retired teacher) thought it was one of the best books she has read in a long time! Read the book!
To Jenv: I hope you don't think my second response was a criticism. After giving a "valid" answer, I was curious!

Scarlett Sep 1st, 2003 05:56 AM

It is on my list, due to the rave reviews of friends of mine.
I seem to remember there might be a movie to be made?

judyjay Sep 1st, 2003 08:01 AM

I am about 300 pages into this book and I can't bring myself to pick it up again. Unfortunately, it bored me to tears and my theory about reading for pleasure is that life is too short to force yourself to finish a book that doesn't keep your interest!

teacherlady Sep 1st, 2003 08:21 AM

I did! I did read all the comments on the bookstore sites like Amazon and Barnes and Noble. They were mixed. I only posed the question to this forum because of its European locale and because there seem to be a lot of readers here. Anyway, thanks for the comments here, which interestingly are MIXED!!

Marilyn Sep 1st, 2003 10:53 AM

I'll put in another thumbs up for The Dress Lodger.