Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone left from the airport in Nice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-left-from-the-airport-in-nice-385406/)

schnookies Jun 26th, 2008 03:09 AM

Has anyone left from the airport in Nice?

Ok, we've finally decided on going back from Nice. From down there we can visit both Cannes and Monaco and maybe go into San Remo in Italy and get our little piece of Italy that we're craving. How is the airport in Nice and has anyone been to San Remo?

johnthedorf Jun 26th, 2008 04:17 AM

Snooks...I took the train to Nice from Avignon and the plane back to Seattle from there. Nice has a nice airport! LOL. For me Nice was just a jumping off stop but your plans look good. Enjoy.

littlejane Jun 26th, 2008 04:38 AM

Yes, left from Nice airport last March (we were on a 10 day break in Cannes, visited Monaco by train for the day and really enjoyed it. Did not make it into Italy).

Nice airport has good bus connections to Nice, Cannes and further afield. It's a small airport so don't expect much from the duty-free shops but it served us well. Runway right on the sea and lovely views of the bay after takeoff.

adrienne Jun 26th, 2008 04:48 AM

The Nice airport is small and very easy to navigate. I think there are 2 terminals so make sure you know which one you want. You can drop off the car and walk across a small parking lot to the terminal (maybe a 2 minute walk).

jdc26 Jun 26th, 2008 05:00 AM

Bookmark - I'm flying into Nice in September. Very helpful information.

StCirq Jun 26th, 2008 05:29 AM

Yes, I've been to San Remo. Ho. Hum.

adrienne Jun 26th, 2008 05:46 AM

jdc26 - It's heavenly to fly into Nice. Your bags arrive within minutes; you then walk out the terminal door into the land of sunny skies, palm trees, and the scent of the sea.

MelMarena1 Jun 26th, 2008 05:53 AM

Favorite part of going from Paris to Nice: Getting on a plane in a cold fog and then after a very little flight, looking out the windows to palm trees and tiled roofs under a golden sun.
Mom'o'four

scatcat Jun 26th, 2008 05:54 AM

I have flown into and out of Nice dozens of times. You will love this small airport. Both terminals are small and sooooo easy.

jdc26 Jun 26th, 2008 06:31 AM

Adrienne: How easy is it to catch the bus? I will be taking the bus (as I've read that taxis can be expensive) to the rental apartment.

SuQue Jun 26th, 2008 07:56 AM

The airport is very close to the city so only a short cab ride to your hotel or apt.

jdc26 Jun 26th, 2008 08:23 AM

According to the information from the apartment rental company it will be cheaper to take the bus from the airport. I could take the #98 Airport Shuttle bus at a cost of 4 euros to platform 14 at Gare Routiere and they will meet me there. Apparently this is the no fuss option especially for the apartments in the Old Town area and it only takes about 20 minutes.

llamalady Jun 26th, 2008 08:34 AM

Left from Nice on Saturday - pleasant airport (yes, there is such
an animal) and dropping off a rental
car is a breeze.

TimS Jun 26th, 2008 08:49 AM

Bus #98 departs from platform 1 at Terminal 1 and platform 5 at Terminal 2. Except in the late evening the bus runs every 20 minutes. Simple!

jdc26 Jun 26th, 2008 08:58 AM

TimS - Thanks for letting me know that. Such a wealth of information provided by my fellow Fodorites.

sglass Jun 26th, 2008 12:22 PM

I flew back to the US from Nice last July, and it was as small and easy as everyone else said- I just write because of the "short cab ride" response you received. I had to take a cab, because my flight was so early and the buses weren't running yet. That 15 minute taxi cost nearly 50 euro, with the tip, and that was at last summer's exchange rates! I knew it was going to be that much (the hotel warned me), I suppose because travelers are stuck, with no other early morning options. Do the bus, for sure!!!

caroltis Jun 26th, 2008 02:15 PM

We flew into Nice last year for the first time and really liked it...not too small and not too large. Picking up the rental car was a breeze too.