Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone investigated trip insurance in the past week or so?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got the same apprehensions lots of people have right now because we've got a trip planned for mid-May from the US to Ireland. This is a fairly last minute trip, so the only thing we've got so far is the plane tickets. We really prefer to stay in self-catering places, and I've spent a lot of time online looking at them. I've pretty much narrowed it down and found some places that will work for us. The problem is that nearly all of them want full payment now since our trip is so soon. We've done tons of self-catering places in other countries in the past, and it's been much more common for the owner to request a deposit and then payment in full on arrival. So, this policy in Ireland of full payment upfront is new to me.

Normally, I'd have some apprehension anyway about making a full payment on a place before I've even seen it. But, in light of the current volcano situation, which as we all know is totally unpredictable, I'm really apprehensive about making a full payment when there is a distinct possibility that I might never even make it across the ocean. That's why I'm thinking about trip insurance. Has anyone checked this out very recently? And, if so, what have you learned about volcanos? Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM

well, I just bought some myself, but my trip isn't until July. I did check all the provisions and most of them covered weather/natural disasters/volcanos, and specifically said so. I wasn't so worried about that for July, but did want a comprehensive policy. There was one company that did not see to cover natural disasters and it was a well-known company, so I ruled it out (that was AccessAmerica).

YOu just have to read the policies and make sure it covers what you want.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 01:49 PM

julies, I think you need to receive very specific information about whether the insurance companies will cover any possible future travel disruptions from this specific volcano because it is now a known condition and excluded from coverage. I couldn't find a policy that would cover our travels when I called insuremytrip last week to add insurance on our Italy trip in May.

I'd like to know when this volcano stops being a known event because we are going to Ireland in September and I would like to have a policy that will help us should there be another ash cloud.

I look forward to seeing what you can discover. Deborah
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 01:50 PM

Check CSA Travel Protection. They are recommended by a reputable bike touring company.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 02:58 PM

Julies, I am curious too although at this moment I do not have a trip planned. DeborahAnn refers to the very popular website: www.insuremytrip.com There is another one that I think our Fodorite Ira has posted about but I don't remember the name of it.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll just have to start investigating; normally we don't take out trip insurance because we don't take high stakes trips where we feel the need for insurance. This volcano thing does have me a bit spooked though.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
PJK

We did a little checking because we leave on Thursday for Italy for 10 days and then on to London for three days before flying back to the states. Tried to change connections so that London was not in the mix, but I couldn't without having to spend two over-nights in order to get back.

None of the insurance companies were interested in covering us.

We actually went ahead and canceled some hotels last weekend because we could squeak in under the deadline with some at that point. Only one place plans to charge us for a night. Not happy about that considering I gave 16 days notice for that particular place, but their cancellation policy is clear, so I have no recourse.

Now we have decided to go ahead with our trip, but I am only booking at places that have 24-48 hour cancellation policies. If the volcano speaks loudly again before Thursday, the airline will still let us cancel, and that way I can cancel hotels too.

PJK
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM

I just got trip insurance through CSA Travel Insurance and it was very affordable for us. We've got miles (so airline fees) and have rented an apartment and I figured we've spent $1800 so far. Trip insurance for 2 was $91 and change. The insurance covers if the trip is canceled, interrupted or delayed and they have clear info about that but I spoke to an operator and she was quite helpful. The insurance begins the day after you sign up; you have a 10 day period to decline. Re: the volcano, it will cover new eruptions as a weather incident. They have a very clear statement on their website about the volcano. They do not cover pre-existing medical conditions but that wasn't a concern for us.
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:13 AM

I recently paid a deposit on an apartment in Paris. Vacation in Paris, ParisPerfect, and others, recommend Travelex. I've used them previously, so purchased a policy with them. I've used others (Access America, Travel Guard). Travelex definitions, certificate, etc., are very straighforward and easy to understand.

However, you do have to select a policy which will cover the volcano. As mentioned above, it's best to find one where the volcano is covered as a weather condition and not an "Act of God" or similar.

Strikes are not covered unless you purchase a policy before strike/dates are announced.

You may also want to consider "Cancel for any reason...", but coverage is often not 100% and there are other restrictions.
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:52 AM

I have checked insurance and was told that if this volcano erupts again, it definitely is NOT COVERED. The only way it would be covered is if there was an official declaration that the eruption stopped and then your trip cancellation was the result of another eruption of the volcano later.

Also, if the nearby volcano erupts, the insurance would cover that first eruption, but as above, not subsequent eruptions.

At least through AccessAmerica, there is a policy called"Cancel Anytime" that you could purchase that covers almost any reason to cancel, which would presumably include the volcano.

Hope this helps
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:33 AM

If you are referring to "Cancel for Any Reason", it doesn't seem to be listed as an option with AccessAmerica.

Benefits for"Cancel for Any Reason Coverage" are typically extremely limited, and coverage is generally about equal to the premium.

Most travel insurance companies have recently updated their websites regarding volcano coverage.

Travelex, for example, is now covering the volcano with policies purchased after May 5th.
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:40 AM

I have never traveled to Europe without trip insurance, and I certainly wouldn't these days. Call your AAA travel desk and ask what is being covered ... or the insurance company directly. I use Access America and just last December, they paid for a delay because of a threatened British Air flight. KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Allow me to give you yet another insight into "trip insurance" in that we recently put a down payment on a cruise and tour in EGYPT. Part of that money went for "trip insurance."

Now, we have had to cancel that trip (destined for January 2011) and have been "reminded" that fully $600 times two which went to the trip insurance portion is "non-refundable and that's the way all insurance plans work."

I'm sorry, but i am the first to agree that when you NEED trip insurance it is probably well worth the money but I also think insurance companies are making plenty on policies like these and all those benefits they never paid out so invest wisely.
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:20 AM

I would never rely on whatever whoever at AAA tells you.

You need to see it in print!
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:32 AM

From the Access America website:

Coverage Alert - Iceland Volcano Eruption/European Travel Disruptions

Original: April 15, 2010
Updated: May 3, 2010

The volcanic eruption in Iceland has impacted many Access America customers traveling to and through several European countries. As of Thursday, April 15, 2010, the volcanic eruption in Iceland is considered a known event.

Access America customers who purchased their travel insurance policy prior to April 15, 2010, may receive trip cancellation, trip interruption or travel delay benefits if their travel plans have been affected by the complete cessation of airline services caused by this event. Policies purchased on or after April 15th for travel between April 15th and April 22nd may not provide coverage for claims related directly, or indirectly, to this eruption. Please review your insurance certificate/policy to see the specific terms and conditions of your insuring agreement.

For customers who purchased Access America travel insurance policies before, on or after April 15th, coverage continues to be available (subject to the terms and conditions of your policy) for any new travel disruption events that may be caused by future eruptions of the Eyjafjallajokul Volcano in Iceland.

Please review your Letter of Confirmation and Certificate of Insurance/Policy to find out more details about the coverage that you've purchased.
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:57 AM

First, check whether or not you already have coverage through your credit card--if you are using a credit card for what you want to insure.

Second, figure out whether or not it's worth buying the insurance. How big could your loss be? Is any portion of your expense refundable for some portion of time before your arrival? It's worth buying insurance for your house and your car, but it probably isn't worth buying insurance for your TV set or new toaster oven. Travel expenses might or might not be worth buying insurance for, it just depends on the amounts of money and risks involved.

Third, If you decide that you do really need travel insurance and it is a large enough expense to be worth insuring, READ THE FINE PRINT!!!! What one sentence gives you in a travel insurance policy, another sentence (usually in smaller print) can take away. The only thing that matters is what is in the official written agreement--it does not matter what an agent tells you on the phone or sends you in an email. All that matters is what is in the official written agreement.

One of the classic fine print items in travel insurance deals with "emergency evacuation" coverage. The home page of the travel insurance company may tout that they provide emergency evacuation back to your home! But then in the fine print in the actual agreement, it will often say, yes, they will evacuate you back home, but only if it is less expensive than taking you to the doctor or medical facility closest to where you became ill or injured--usually an ambulance ride. Not all companies are this "creative" in presenting their wares, but just be aware that you do have to do your homework.
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:06 PM

I reviewed probalby about 10 or more travel insurance policies, including all the terms, and I never saw a single one that used the words "act of God" to exclude things.

CSA does have policies that cover preexisting conditions, you just have to buy one under the terms. It's just not their cheapest one, but it has enhanced benefits in other ways over the cheapest one, which is why I bought that one. For me, it was only $25 more for two weeks for the expanded policy. One of the main reasons I bought it was that it covers car rentals and I'll be renting a car. It was a lot cheaper to get that with all the things I wanted than to pay the car rental company for the CDW. Yes, I know my CC had secondary coverage on cars, but I like having a policy that covers everything. I paid less than $100 for two weeks for the deluxe one.
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:24 PM

The Travel Guard agent said that each episode of volcano cloud coverage is considered to be a separate incident, and that there had been three separate incidences in the past couple of weeks. So a volcano episode in September should definitely be covered.
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:43 PM

TruTravel seems to cover it:

http://www.trutravelinsurance.com/

Hazard means:
a) Any delay of a Common Carrier (including Inclement Weather).