Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone here gone to Russia? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-here-gone-to-russia-251547/)

Norma Aug 20th, 2002 05:08 PM

Has anyone here gone to Russia?

If anyone has been to Russia, did you have a good time? Do you recommend it? it seems as if NO ONE here asks questions about Russia. Must be that few travel there. We have been to over 40 countries, so are looking for another interesting place to visit. Please reply if you have traveled there. Thanks!

Amy Aug 20th, 2002 05:39 PM

I've been to Russia twice and enjoyed it immensely. The architectural treasures, the art, the history, the landscape, and the fascinating people make it a place that I'd love to visit yet again. Highlights included the Kremlin and Red Square, of course, as well as Piskarevskoye Cemetery and a train ride from Moscow to St. Petersburg.<BR>That said, both of my visits were pre 1991, so I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance in current info. If you haven't done a search, just type Russia in the box above and you'll come up with lots of entries from much more recent travellers.

Oldtimer Aug 20th, 2002 05:43 PM

Just a friendly suggestion. Why don't you use the "country scroll" at the top of the Europe page, scroll down to "Russia" and see the abundance of information that is at your fingertips.

Michael Aug 20th, 2002 07:24 PM

E-mail me and I'll be glad to offer help and suggestions.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR><BR>Michael

Marc David Miller Aug 20th, 2002 07:37 PM

As oldtimer suggested, look at the archived posts--you'll see several hundred, and notice many people who are travelling on some river cruises soon. As someone who has been there for a total of approximately three months since 1999 (Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kizhi, Valaam, Novgorod, Sergiev Posad, Irkutsk, Ulan-Ude, Listvyanka, Kuzhir) I can attest that it is a fascinating country to visit for a number of reasons-art, architecture, performing arts, natural beauty, history, science, business.

Gary Aug 20th, 2002 08:13 PM

I have had three visits in the past 3 years and will go for my forth visit in Sept. Places that I have visited include Moscow, St Petersburg. Novgorod Veliky, Nizhni Novgorod, Kostroma, Rostov on Don, Rostov Veliky, Suzdal, Vladimir, Sergiev Posad, Irkutsk, Listvyanka, Volgada, Volgagrad, Kazan, Yaroslavl, Uglich, Simbirsk, Samara, Saratov. If you want information just ask your question, I am am sure that you will get a reply. An interesting place to visit.

wjsleep Aug 20th, 2002 09:23 PM

Ive had a hidden dream to visit russia someday and since im almost 65 now is the time how important is langage bI only speak english would this give me a problem in france,germany and russia

Bob Aug 21st, 2002 02:21 AM

Norma,<BR><BR>My wife and I are heading to St. Petersburg and Moscow in September. It's our first trip to Russia and we are surely looking forward to it.<BR><BR>We've been some great places throughout Europe but this one should also be very special.<BR><BR>You should keep looking on this forum for more information as the people here are very helpful. I do get most of my help from here.<BR><BR>Best of luck and happy trails.<BR><BR>Bob

Laura Aug 23rd, 2002 04:41 AM

I recently returned from my second cruise of the Baltic in 2 years. This time I brought my entire family along (grandparents and 3 young adult daughters). St. Petersburg is one of the most fascinating cities I have ever been in. Steeped in history, architecture and art treasures, the likes of which I do not expect to see anywhere else. Our Russian tour guides spoke beautiful English, were very friendly, and most knowledgeable of their history and the sights in this most amazing city. Do not miss the Hermitage Museum, Church of the Resurection, Peterhof Palace and Catherine's Palaces.

Norma Aug 23rd, 2002 11:24 AM

How about the weather there?

weatherSP Aug 23rd, 2002 11:46 AM

Updated: 4:00 AM MSD on August 23, 2002 <BR> Friday Saint Petersburg<BR>Scattered Clouds. High: 68° F. / 20° C. <BR> Friday Night<BR>Scattered Clouds. Low: 50° F. / 10° C. <BR> Saturday<BR>Scattered Clouds. High: 75° F. / 24° C. <BR> Saturday Night<BR>Scattered Clouds. Low: 48° F. / 9° C. <BR> Sunday<BR>Scattered Clouds. High: 75° F. / 24° C. <BR> Sunday Night<BR>Scattered Clouds. Low: 48° F. / 9° C. <BR> Monday<BR>Scattered Clouds. High: 73° F. / 23° C. <BR> Monday Night<BR>Scattered Clouds. Low: 44° F. / 7° C. <BR> Tuesday<BR>Scattered Clouds. High: 78° F. / 26° C. <BR> Tuesday Night<BR>Scattered Clouds. Low: 46° F. / 8° C. <BR> Wednesday<BR>Chance of Rain. High: 78° F. / 26° C. <BR> Wednesday Night<BR>Chance of Rain. Low: 57° F. / 14° C. <BR> Thursday<BR>Scattered Clouds. High: 68° F. / 20° C. <BR> Thursday Night<BR>Scattered Clouds. Low: 46° F. / 8° C. <BR><BR>

Marc David Miller Aug 23rd, 2002 11:47 AM

Norma, what time of year, and where? A big difference in temperture between Novosibirsk in January and Sochi in July!<BR><BR>You can look up weather information at<BR><BR>www.WeatherUnderground.com<BR><BR>look under "Russia" and you will see pages and pages of cities.

Moscow Aug 23rd, 2002 11:50 AM

Updated: 4:00 AM MSD on August 23, 2002 <BR> Friday Moscow<BR>Scattered Clouds. High: 59° F. / 15° C. <BR> Friday Night<BR>Scattered Clouds. Low: 48° F. / 9° C. <BR> Saturday<BR>Scattered Clouds. High: 69° F. / 21° C. <BR> Saturday Night<BR>Scattered Clouds. Low: 44° F. / 7° C. <BR> Sunday<BR>Scattered Clouds. High: 71° F. / 22° C. <BR> Sunday Night<BR>Scattered Clouds. Low: 50° F. / 10° C. <BR> Monday<BR>Scattered Clouds. High: 69° F. / 21° C. <BR> Monday Night<BR>Scattered Clouds. Low: 42° F. / 6° C. <BR> Tuesday<BR>Scattered Clouds. High: 68° F. / 20° C. <BR> Tuesday Night<BR>Scattered Clouds. Low: 42° F. / 6° C. <BR> Wednesday<BR>Clear. High: 77° F. / 25° C. <BR> Wednesday Night<BR>Clear. Low: 48° F. / 9° C. <BR> Thursday<BR>Scattered Clouds. High: 77° F. / 25° C. <BR> Thursday Night<BR>Scattered Clouds. Low: 55° F. / 13° C. <BR> <BR>

Mary Ann Sep 2nd, 2002 05:03 PM

We did a Viking River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg and had a wonderful time! Russia is a fascinating country, full of surprises. The river cruise is a hassle free way to travel - no living out of a suitcase, great meals on board, knowledgeable English speaking guides, and congenial travel companions. Go for it!

cecilia Sep 2nd, 2002 05:54 PM

It's true that there aren't as many threads about Russia as there are about Italy or France, but there was a really interesting trip report about a cruise between St.P and Moscow called "my river cruise to Russia."<BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...ise+and+russia

Marty Sep 3rd, 2002 12:50 PM

Norma: I went to Russia last summer to work with Russian teachers at a national park. I did not spend a great deal of time in Moscow, because I was staying in a dacha out side of the city, and we just traveled in a couple times, before we left for our real location which was Smolensk Lakelands National Park. We traveled with two interpretors who have been to the U.S. as a part of the same program that I traveled under. If you decide to go, please email me, and I can put you in touch with one of them who is married to an American (she has not yet been able to immigrate to the US) and may be able to help you as a personal guide. Marty

Ed Sep 19th, 2002 11:42 AM

How much time, money and hassle is it to get a Visa for Russia?

xxx Sep 19th, 2002 12:02 PM

I got my visa on line from<BR>http://www.gotorussia.net/

tt Sep 23rd, 2002 06:43 AM

tt

Debbie Sep 23rd, 2002 07:06 AM

There are numerous places online you can find to get your visa. You first need to make hotel reservations and your hotel will send a voucher (usually for a small fee)that you need to send to your visa company. I used Travel document systems and spent $120 for the visa.<BR>To sleep: There are fewer english speaking people in russia than there are in Western Europe but most people in hotels and tourist areas speak some english. I did not think it was that difficult to get around without knowing the language.