Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Has anyone here ever visited Bratislava? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/has-anyone-here-ever-visited-bratislava-388064/)

tcreath Jan 16th, 2004 10:40 AM

Has anyone here ever visited Bratislava?

My husband and I are taking a trip to Austria and Italy next month. We will spent the first part of our trip in Vienna, and are thinking about taking a train to Bratislava as a day trip. However, I don't know anything really about Bratislava and I wanted to know if it was worth visiting? We both enjoy visiting non "touristy" areas. Any suggestions/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tracy

celticdreams Jan 16th, 2004 10:56 AM

This is second hard information, but... I have a very good friend who was working at the US consulate there for almost a year. I could never get any detailed information out of him, but he said it was really picturesque, the food was good/great and it was very inexpensive.

If it's just for a day trip - I'd go. How many times will you get the opportunity and how many people do you know that can say there were ever there....

celticdreams Jan 16th, 2004 10:57 AM

Must be my day for typos.

Should have read: second HAND information.
Should have read: say THEY were ever there.

Sorry

tcreath Jan 16th, 2004 11:18 AM

Thanks for the reply! I want to go mainly for those reasons. The train ride from Vienna to Bratislava is only about an hour. I've never been and sure don't know anyone else who has! Eastern Europe has always fascinated me as the cities and countrside are somewhat "untouched" by tourists as opposed to many western european cities.

Thanks again!
Tract

LindaW Jan 16th, 2004 11:59 AM

I took a day trip from Vienna to Bratislava and that is ample time. It is small, somewhat picturesque, has nice shops with crystal, dolls, etc. that are cheaper than Vienna. There is a castle and the town is easy to walk. A number from there work in Vienna and commute daily. I was there in December so not many tourists and the American Consulate is easy to find for information on things to do.

Wayne Jan 16th, 2004 12:43 PM

I didn't exactly visit there, but I drove through the city on my way from Vienna to Budapest. I wouldn't call it a small town, it's more like a moderate size city, with a population around half a million. The city center, like many European cities, has some appeal. In addition to the castle and a few museums, there is the National Gallery of Art, which is pretty good. The food is probably typical of other such cities, though I didn't eat there.

What you might want to consider is a trip to Gyor in Hungary instead. I consider it to be a bit more charming than Bratislava, and it is a good deal smaller. Good luck.

glassman Jan 16th, 2004 12:54 PM

I was there a few years ago. Found it to be a smaller,quainter version of Prague.Also, much less expensive. I am planning a return trip there this fall.I would recommend a look see. Have a great time!

suse Jan 16th, 2004 03:58 PM

I was in Vienna in November and took the train to Bratislava for an overnight trip. I was with a friend and in many ways, we both liked Bratislava more. It is more charming than Vienna, smaller, and much less expensive. We spent $150 for tickets to the opera in Vienna and could have gone for around $30 in Bratislava.

Vienna's buildings are relatively new, while Bratislava's old town is very picturesque with beautiful OLD buildings. Wear very comfortable shoes as the streets are cobblestone.

Go to the Primate Palace. It is gorgeous. Look for all the bronze sculptures on the streets. They make great photos. We went to a very contemporary bar called Peoples for great Martinis. It was right next to the opera. We spent the night at the Carlton (Slovakia's finest hotel, not the luxury I expected, but fine for $150).

If you can, try to find a store called Uluv. They have exceptional Slovakian handcrafted pottery, linens, wooden toys, corn husk dolls, painted and etched eggs, etc. This is where I spent most of my money! The old town has many fine shops with china, crystal and the like.

I am sorry I can't help you with locations. We met a Slovak friend at the train station and he gave us a whirlwind tour. He did say you should Call for a taxi from the station. Most young people speak English. Very few older people do. They aren't part of the EU so you will need to exchange for crowns. Divide the number of crowns by 30 to figure how many dollars it is. I made the mistake of taking 300 crowns out of the ATM only to discover I had about 10 dollars!

I really enjoyed Bratislava and both of us are looking forward to returning, but we will probably skip Vienna. We liked it, but saw it! Did not have enough time to shop like I wanted in Bratislava, but that is because we spent time socializing, also. You could do it in a day.

Go and have a great time!

amp322 Jan 18th, 2004 08:56 PM

Spent 4 days there two summers ago. It is one of the great BARGAINS of Europe. Beautiful, walkable old town area. Outdoor cafes everywhere in the warmer weather. Primate Palace - yes - go! Castle - was OK. Skip if you are out of time. Hotel - Danube (right on the river), or the Carlton. Paparazzi Restaurant - great food & cheap! Need reservations after about 5:30 PM. Great culture - music, art, opera. Affordable tickets. GO & ENJOY!

AndiM Jan 18th, 2004 09:14 PM

My husband and I also enjoyed Bratislava. We visited summer 2003. The Slovak people seem to love their capital. The busy old town had endless cafes with tables & umbrellas crowding the sidewalks. We had so much fun cafe/bar hopping. Prices are remarkable and I bought some of the best souvinirs that I got in all of Europe. There aren't a lot of must see museums or churches. It's just a fun city to wander through. And, it is much less touristy than most of Europe. Go for it! Consider spending an evening there too.

GSteed Jan 19th, 2004 01:19 AM

Bratislava..Trams are good, shopping is good. Austrians make day trips to stock up on liquor and food. The Danube is beautiful. History abounds. Visit castle north of city. Driving is not difficult. Special, City University from Washington state has a new building. Visit. Many USA teachers. Be careful with train choices from Vienna..some routes require transfers.