Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone heard of Grand Hotel de l'Univers in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Michelle

I can't find any comments here when doing a search for the hotel's name. The hotel looks very nice based on the web pictures, but I'd appreciate comments from guests who have stayed there.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:23 PM
jj

Michelle, I stayed there a couple of years ago. The hotel is fine, but rooms are tiny, even for Parisian standard. The little narrow street (Rue Gregoire-de-Tours) is full of small and busy restaurants and can be noisy at night. There is also a nightclub (Riverside) right opposite the hotel.<BR>Other than that, it's a typical small 3-star hotel. It has some charm, I'd say.<BR><BR>Now, I would probably prefer the Hotel de Fleurie*** on the other side of the Blvd. Saint-Germain, but as well on Rue Gregoire-deTours which is slightly more quiet. You'll find some positive comments here, if you do some search.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Vince

Grand Hotel de l'Univers is a Best Western property. You can find even more info on this hotel on bestwestern.com

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Patrick

I read a recent review of this hotel this summer telling about its new renovation and super prices. I walked by it in September. The prices posted were a whole lot more than in the article and even the pictures in the window indicated how tiny the rooms were as mentioned above. And yes, it is a small, very noisy street, where the restaurant &quot;huxsters&quot; all come out into the street and call to people to come in and try. You can do much better.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Michelle

Egads, thank you Patrick for the observations. Just by looking at web pictures don't tell the whole story so it's good to get feedback. I think I'll check into other hotels. I had also in mind Millesime Hotel, Le Regent, or de Fleurie but de Fleurie's prices seem pretty expensive.