Has anyone heard of Alacati?

Old Nov 30th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone heard of Alacati?

I stumbled upon this little town and what a surprise! Beautiful city, lovely people and an overwhelming welcoming feeling. Check out this Alacati guide for ideas on things to do and see. Absolute must for locals and travelers.

Here's the link: https://tayaramuse.com/2018/11/30/ch...mediterranean/
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 02:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yarasa, thanks for bringing Alacati to the Turkey traveler's attention.

Our older daughter had her wedding at Port Alacati six years ago.

We have seen it deteriorate from an artistic bohemian enclave thirty years ago to a fashionable secret for the affluent and finally to a tourist trap for the nouveau riche, while the food became humdrum, replacing special recipes made with love.

The weekly market, though, is still one of the largest and richest in Turkey.

Also, one of the top windsurfing locations in Europe.

Sea water can be freezing at lagoon side but reasonably warm at Ilica and Cesme shores.
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 02:26 AM

Alacati is a very well known "museal beach resort town" close to Cesme, between Izmir (Smyrna) and the Greek Island of Chios (Sakiz).
According to wikipedia, "under the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923 and according to the implementation of the compulsory exchange of populations, Muslims who lived in Crete, Thrace and Macedonia settled in Alatsata city in the houses stolen from the Greeks. Most of these houses still remain in Alaçatı as an attraction for people to see and absorb the feeling of life before the Genocide of the Greek population."
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 08:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
neckervd, thanks for your personal view of historic events to the readers to increase the touristic appeal of Alacati. By the way the population exchange was not based on race but on religion
(many Christian Turks were also sent to Greece, and many Jews were required to leave Greece for Turkey because they were thought to have converted to Islam) and was made with the blessings of both sides who did not wish to have a future liability for domestic peace. (This actually worked for Turkey which managed to stay out of WW II..

Here is an objective fact which can also appeal : Alexander the Great, the Macedonian king considered digging a canal almost through Alacati to connect the Northern and Southern shores
of the Cesme peninsula.
Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 08:10 AM

Thanks otherchelebi.
I know that things are much more complex than the article of wikipedia I copied. I didn't try to explain the whole History, but just to tell people in this forum, that the houses of Alacati were built by Greek people.
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by otherchelebi
Alexander the Great, the Macedonian king considered digging a canal almost through Alacati to connect the Northern and Southern shores of the Cesme peninsula.
Good one. I see it's mentioned on the Wikipedia Erythrae page but I'm guessing it would have been farther east, from Kahramandere to Seferihisar - "to connect Teos bay with the gulf of Smyrna".