Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > has anyone had any experience with the Europcar car rental company?

has anyone had any experience with the Europcar car rental company?

Jul 11th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Darlene

has anyone had any experience with the Europcar car rental company?

When it comes to renting cars in Europe for the most part Autoeurope seems to be the #1 choice. I recently found europcar.com and found for me their rental quotes were cheaper than autoeurope. Has anyone ever used this company and if so comment please on their service? Renting a car is the last major arrangement I need to make before my two week trip to Southern France. Any advice will be most useful!

Jul 11th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Robin

We had two very good experiences last year with EuropCar in France, one in Paris, and one out of Marseille. In both cases the reservations were ready, we got the car we expected or better, and, as you say, prices were lower. I made both reservations on the net before leaving, and took my confirms along. One other positive: we panicked part way through the Paris trip, when we discovered a broken tail light that we had overlooked when we picked up the car. We had visions of doing battle over how it occurred, but when we returned, they acknowledged that it had been there before, and that they had also failed to mention it. So, altogether it was a good experience.

Jul 11th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Claudia

The cars I've rented in Italy were from Europcar via Auto Europe -- does this count? In all cases, they delivered exactly what was promised, had easy pick-ups and drop-offs, and very helpful staff. I expect you can rent through them with confidence, and really enjoy your upcoming trip.

Jul 11th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Myriam

We had a brandnew rental car from Europcar in southern Spain last year and found their service to be very good.

Jul 11th, 2001, 11:13 AM
Daphne

We rented from Eurocar through the British Airways Travel Shop at Victoria Station in London. B.A. sold us cancelation insurance and not interruption insurance [we didn't realise that there is a difference]. We had to return the car early in Nice and Europcar didn't give us back enough paperwork, saying B.A. would give us the refund. With much difficulty, I finally got a "goodwill voucher" from B.A. for half the amount [they owed us $600]. We would never use either of them again!!

Jul 11th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Phil

Just returned from 3 week trip to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.Booked a car from Europcar from home. It was a great company with quick and easy access to counter/cars. In Frankfurt. They upgraded us to a brand new Ford stationwagon (500km on odometer). There were just two of us. It was great. I had used them many years ago (1982) and had good service. I reccomend them .

Jul 11th, 2001, 02:21 PM
KT

Auto Europe isn't a rental company, it's a broker that deals with many rental companies depending on the location. We just had a pretty bad experience with a Europcar rental made through Auto Europe, but I ascribe it more to a particular bozo at the specific rental office than to either company overall, so unless you're planning to rent at Edinburgh Airport before going to France, I'm not sure how relevant it is.

In summary 1) we had reserved and reconfirmed an economy car with a trunk (boot); instead they offered us only a kind of minivan with a tiny hatch and insisted it was comparable (after much "negotiation" we had to come back 7 hours later to get a "real" car); 2) the lot attendant baldly lied to the desk staff that he had offered us a car like we wanted, but we had walked away; 3) there were two other dissatisfied customers right ahead of us, both of whom had been given the wrong type of car, both being treated rudely; 4) when we returned our car, that same lot attendant tried to charge us for "scratches" that were just marks in the surface dirt; and 5) he didn't want to give us a receipt.

Jul 11th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Sherry

I rented a car from Europcar in Nice earlier this Spring. I had no problem with them. It did take a little while to pick up the car when we arrived. I do not know if this was because it was a Saturday. They did not have the original car I reserved and they substituted a much more expensive car for the same cost. I was a little concerned when I returned the car that I might have a problem with a difference in the bill, but there was none.

Jul 11th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Andy

Darlene- we rented our car thru AutoEurope and were told to pick it up in Heathrow from Europecar--normally,Autoeurope uses Hertz or Avis abroad...however, due to requesting a certain type car in order for ALL our luggage to fit, AE reserved via EuropeCar-Europe Car was NOT great to deal with-had to argue about price even though I had confirmation from AutoEurope-so...it took over 1 hr of arguing to get everything settled...then on check in, same thing happened..we've never had this problem abroad with Avis and Hertz via Auroeurope.....so just be careful

Jul 11th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Diane

Recently rented a car from EuropCar via Auto Europe. Picked it up at a shop in Brugge. We picked it up on a Saturday morning as they closed at noon and were not open on Sundays. We were leaving Brugge on Sunday morning, so this was a one-shot deal. We had reserved an air-conditioned intermediate sized car. When we got there the ONLY car available was a mini-van -- at least it was air-conditioned, and to our benefit it used diesel, which gets better gas mileage. We were not exactly delighted as the car was a bit large for some of the small French villages we were going to be driving through, but the car did fine. We were not charged anything additional, and I'm sure the rental on the mini-van would have been a great deal higher than what we paid. I haven't gotten the final bill yet (just paid the deposit), but I feel confident that they will follow through on the original quote.

Jul 12th, 2001, 01:28 AM
Anna

In 1998 and again this May we rented a car through AutoEurope that we picked up from Europcar. Both times we rented the smallest sized car (and the car we got this year was *extremely small*....I bet it would not even be legal to drive it on public roads in the USA). In 1998 Europcar overcharged us in two ways...one is they charged us more for the car than AutoEurope said it would be (by over $100) and two they said it needed to have over half a tank of gas added (but we had filled the tank completely only 2 blocks away from the office). As we turned the car in just minutes before they closed we didn't know of these overcharges until weeks later when we got our credit card bill. That happened in Innsbruck Austria.

This year in Germany we chanced it again as the rates were the lowest and we could get a car in the town we wanted to (but couldn't from Sixt). Things went better with only an additional $20 approx. fee for taxes that we had not been told about before. BTW that tiny car actually didn't get good gas mileage! My Camry gets better gas mileage than that tin box we rented.

Jul 12th, 2001, 02:13 AM
Mike

CHECK THE CAR CAREFULLY FOR DENTS BEFORE LEAVING THE RENTAL DESK.

I think you get great value for money, and, accordingly, they do not provide service to die for. However, it's not like my experience with Alamo in the US, who pretend to love you until you raise an issue. Europcar never pretend, which is better in my book.

I think that, if you book through Holiday Autos, you may get better insurance cover for an all-in price. Again, it will still be Europcar when you get there. Last year, in Milan, there were several American customers who seemed to have queries with their bookings. One poor chap had been told some cock and bull story about a only needing a photocopy of his driving licence, so he got nothing at all - not even a refund (they told him to contact Auto Europe when he got back). OK, not the cleverest thing he ever did ...

When I got to the desk with my Holiday Autos voucher, I got the distinct impression that the woman behind the desk was not expecting trouble.

One thing - unless things have changed, you won't necessarily get a mechanic who can speak English! We broke down in the further reaches of the Aveyron Valley a few years ago (in a new car). When the mechanic came to fix it (after driving over an hour to reach us), he rattled away at 400 words a minute, way too fast for my pidgin French. I would interrupt him and ask him to "parlez plus lentement", which he seemed to understand as long as he was looking at me. As soon as his gaze fell upon the car, we switched back to 78 RPM from 33 RPM, complete with Gallic hand gestures and shoulder shrugs. Then he would catch sight of me, grinning inanely and shaking my head, and slow down again. Too late. I never did really find out what he was talking about. Nice bloke, though, and he did fix the car.

Jul 12th, 2001, 07:54 PM
Sue

Anna, can you remember the make of the 'extremely small' car - was it a Fiat Cinquecento or some such? I'd like to know as I thought I'd got over my fear of renting a car too small (usually, wind up with one bigger than desired.) Thanks.

Jul 12th, 2001, 08:10 PM
fleur

We rented through AutoEurope/europecar this May for 17 days. We went through the Bonjour Paris sight, got a good price plus an upgrade and were very pleased with the service, even changed where we dropped the car and didn't have a problem, it was just an airport drop change but for some companies a change is a reason to charge extra

Jul 12th, 2001, 08:28 PM
StCirq

I've rented dozens of cars through AutoEurope, many of them through their affiliate EuropCar. I find it hard to believe that it's cheaper to book direct with Europcar than with AutoEurope, though. What prices have you been quoted?

Jul 29th, 2001, 05:54 AM
D.

I use Europcar frequently, and i find their service to be the best, i was even in a car accident recently, totaled their car, and the assistance they gave me was something i've never experienced..my advice, go with europcar!

Jul 30th, 2001, 07:57 AM
kay

We have used Europcar many times over the last 15 years. Never any problem with them. However we do not speak French and I am glad to take the collision insurance. Our credit card ins.would be of no help in trying to explain an accident. Our car we rented in Switzerland and parked beside the apartment we rented in the south of france was side-swiped so badly that my husband had to climb in on the passenger's side to drive to the airport to get another car- After a short wait,we had another car to return to Switerland- they wanted to be sure we had a Swiss car so we would not have to buy an autoban sticker for Switzerland. What great service!

Jul 30th, 2001, 10:52 AM
jane

Just curious if I am missing something, why do you not just go through one of the car companies themselves such as Avis or Hertz?

Jul 30th, 2001, 11:09 AM
Sherry

Jane..one can go through Avis or Hertz directly. But AutoEurope is a broker and can sometimes get you a better deal with the same companies.

Jul 30th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Don

I had a great experience with Europcar in Germany. I had reserved cars, including written confirmation, with National & Alamo before leaving the US. The morning I went to pick up the cars, I discovered that rentals at the reservation location had been discontinued. I was never told that these locations had closed. After several phone calls and panic, I was able to get two cars at the last minute with Europcar at a very good rate. The service was excellent, the staff friendly and I would definitely use them again.

Search this Thread