Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone flown Alitalia and/or Air Canada?

Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:06 AM
Diva

I am flying roundtrip Toronto to Rome via Alitalia. But, some of the planes are actually Air Cananda planes. Has anyone flown either (Alitalia or Air Canada)? What are your comments? (i.e. service, food, "roominess", etc.....) Grazie!

Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:27 AM
tom

I'm a regular travel on Air Canada.
Service, seat space and food are all pretty good when compared to US carriers.
Have a good trip.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:34 AM
Lanny

I assume Alitalia is a code share partner with Air Canada. I believe most of the old routes to Italy were Canadian Airlines routes before the Air Canada takeover. I have flown Alitalia twice to Italy and Air Canada, KLM, and British Airways to other European destinations dozens of times in the past couple of decades. I very much liked the Alitalia flights: cabin staff was very good (they also have the best flight outfits of the four!), service was efficient, food was above average but not exceptional (you have to remember only a handful of companies prepare food at each big airport under contract to the airlines, Pearson included, so there will be little to choose amongst carriers going overseas). Air Canada and Alitalia had better food than BA ever does and KLM usually does... KLM normally gives you snacks and breakfast and no evening meal -- something I will be able to confirm anew after I fly overseas with them this Saturday out of Dorval). Ultimately it is a matter of convenience: there is little to choose in difference between Air Canada and Alitalia as both are excellent airlines and you really cannot go wrong with either.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:04 AM
Booboo

Hi.

Not to be contrary but Alitalia is very much like it's home country. It can be charming but you must be prepared for disorganization, botched seat assignments, smoking everywhere and little recourse for addressing these problems.

On BOTH recent outbound and return flights we were uncomfortable, unhappy and plagued by cigarette smoke. I would not fly again on Alitalia even for free.

Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

Your welcome.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:05 AM
Booboo

Oops!

"You're" welcome.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:22 AM
Joe

Have flown both. As Airlines go,Air Canada was vert nice, Alitalia was very poor. I would not fly Alitalia again.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:27 AM
Dayle

I flew Alitalia 6 years ago and nearly died from the cigarette smoke - mainly from the CREW, who chain-smoked entire flight! However, I understood from recent posters here that all Alitaia international flights were smoke-free since a couple years ago. Has this changed?

Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:42 AM
Joan

Recently flew Air Canada/Alitalia: absolutely no smoking and rigidly enforced by vigilant crew, both coming and going. Canadian airlines (including Air Canada) are extemely strict about no smoking policies as they once had a fire on a wahsroom on an Air Canada plane.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:57 AM
Lanny

My two flights with Alitalia were smoke free. I thought all their flights were smoke free but obviously not. The airline I swore I would never fly again because of smoking was Air France, though I understand from others they are now smoke free internationally (but for reasons described below I choose not to test them out). In my last trip with them I had the misfortune to fly CDG to Dorval with a tour group from Avignon who could not be accommodated in all the smoking seats. So though seated in the non-smoking area they continued to smoke so much that an elderly lady actually fainted and had to be revived by cabin staff at the rear of the aircraft. Despite this, the cabin staff refused to step in and stop the incessant smoking for three quarters of the flight. Finally they were forced to act when one of the group, smashed out of his skull, stubbed his cigarette out on the carpeted floor of the cabin. I decided after that that life is far too short and Air France could do forever without my business.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:58 AM
Deborah

My husband and I flew Alitalia from JFK to Rome in May and there were people smoking on the flight. It seems they had dismantled the smoke detectors in the restrooms. They (the smokers and the restrooms) just reeked!!!

Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:51 AM
Carol

We flew Alitalia for the first time this year and if at all possible, we will not fly with them again.

Negatives are: the seats are very cramped for an 8 to 10-hour flight, the food was horrible (even for airline food) and the attendants were not very attentive nor friendly. We also had a two-hour delay leaving Rome because of some baggage problem which sometimes cannot be avoided. However, no one ever explained what the problem was.

Positives: The landing in Rome was the smoothest I've ever experienced.

Also, smoking is not allowed on any flights.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:59 AM
Susan

On a recent trip to Italy we met up with family members who had flown on various different routes of Alitalia to get to Italy and every flight was rife with disaster. Lost luggage, 8 hour delay in Rome airport, flights cancelled, etc. My in-laws' flight from Catania to Florence was delayed and then changed to a flight to Pisa with a bus ride to Florence, arriving at the Florence train station at 2am. No explanation given. We flew on British Air and had no problems. But yes, the Alitalia uniforms are gorgeous. Ciao!

Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:48 PM
bill

I flew alitalia last week. It was fair overall. The service was indifferent but adequate. The food was typical airline food, but you get all the wine you can drink for free. The seats were less cramped than Virgin Atlantic. All I can say it got us there on time and since I saved $200 person, I'd do it again

Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:39 PM
Denise

Flew Alitali last year. Flight and service was fine. Food was the worst I ever had. We brought panini to eat on the way back-a great way to prolong the memory. The plane did smell of cigarette smoke.

Denise