Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone figured out an effecient way to get from Dallas (DFW) to Barcelona? The logistics look terrible!

Has anyone figured out an effecient way to get from Dallas (DFW) to Barcelona? The logistics look terrible!

Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Well, my dreams of a spring break to Barcelona are dimming as I look at flights. Gee, we could fly from Dallas to La Guardia and get ourselves from there to JFK in two hours, then fly to Madrid, then BCN. Or we could fly from DFW to Gatwick, then get ourselves to Heathrow, then to BCN. Or we could change planes in Chicago and Frankfurt. Oh, there are any number of choices and airlines, all with way too many stops. Given that it's spring break, we only have a week and the two weekends. I really don't want to spend 22 hours getting there and 22 hours getting back. Has anyone figured out the best route from Dallas?
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM

Lufthansa to Frankfurt and then to BCN - total 12.5 hours - or BA through Heathrow 13 hours AA or Continental through Newark just over 13 hours - Lots of options. Go to Expedia and find the one that works best
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:17 PM

Did you do a internet search at all?...I just looked and there are flights that range in 12 - 17 hours of travel from DFW to BCN. Go to expedia and look.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:18 PM

DFW is an AA hub -- I thought they had flights through Zurich to BCN (one stop)? Unless there's a new routing, I don't think a n/s is available.

I envy your trip to BCN -- one of my best trips ever!
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM

Isn't there a nonstop from Atlanta to Barcelona on Delta, too? Leaves around 8pm, I think. Keep hunting; you'll find something good.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:21 PM

I'm fairly certain AA still flies a non-stop DFW to Gatwick, and onward from there on BA. Don't think this should be too terrible.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:27 PM

I do see a airport transfers (JFK to LG) but there are definitely options that are less than 22 hours.

Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:40 PM

Yes; I'm from Dallas and AA flies to Gatwick and then you could book through Iberia (an AA partner) to BCN ... but from Heathrow. We flew BCN to Heathrow, had a driver to Gatwick, spent the night there and left the next morning to DFW nonstop.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

I searched travelocity and had about 50 some options. For some reason, Expedia won't search on my computer anymore.

Every AA flight seems to require an LGA to JFK connection. (They also stop in Madrid, then BCN.) Don't want an LGA to JFK connection on a Friday night. I also don't want to do a Gatwick to Heathrow connection.

Zurich isn't coming up as an option on AA. The same thing happened when I was trying to get to Rome. Day after day, every possibility from DFW to Rome involved an LGA to JFK connection. Then, one day in early March, a DFW to Zurich to Rome option was offered. I jumped on it. It lasted about 18 hours.

DFW to Atlanta to anywhere has become a nightmare to be avoided at all costs, since Delta gave up almost all of their gates at DFW.

I'll try to find the DFW to Frankfurt to BCN flight.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 01:52 PM

Hi missypie

My advice is to keep checking. When I went to Barcelona this past May, I was in a similar situation.

I checked for a couple of months to find a flight that didn't have me flying to multiple airports. Finally one showed up on Delta that went from Pensacola-ATL-BCN. I'm glad I held out for that.

You will love Barcelona by the way! It's a wonderful city.

Good luck,
Johanna
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:00 PM

OK, just checked AA and there are 2 direct flights per day DFW to LGW, flight 50 at 5:05pm and flight 78 at 6:55, each takes about 9 hours non-stop. BA is also bookable in the OneWorld Alliance and does fly LGW to BCN. Goodluck!
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:01 PM

missypie,

make sure you're checking off "all partners and oneworld alliance" or "all carriers" if you're searching on aa.com -- same thing for other airline specific sites...

I'm PLT on AA and so I usually check here first, and I missed a good fare once because I forgot to do this.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Well, I finally got Expedia to search for me through a very back-door way. It had options that travelocity didn't. Interesting that Expedia shows a DFW-Zurich-BCN flight on AA, while AA.com is just showing DFW-LGA-JFK-Madrid-BCN (for $30 more!) I'm not quite ready to buy the tickets yet, but at least seeing that flight through Zurich gives me some hope.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, the flights from DFW to Gatwick to BCN have you arriving pretty late in the evening (rather than morning or mid-day.)
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM

Try going to the staralliance site - you should be able to see the lufthansa options
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:13 PM

The DFW-Zurich-BCN flight is coming up on www.aa.com -- try selecting "one connection or less" and "all carriers" or "oneworld partners" (if you're flying for AA status or miles) and then select by schedule rather than fare. You can then choose flights by time (15 hrs and less) and price them out. good luck!
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Funny - the only thing that came up for me on AA.com about 7 minutes ago with the "all carriers" option were flights where you flew into Gatwick and arrived in BCN at about 8 pm, then on the return arrived at Gatwick at about 10 pm then left for Dallas at about 10 am the next day. Looking for flights can make one crazy!

I don't get how the staralliance website works. I can find the flights - but then do you just book them through the airline? (The flight from DFW to Frankfurt to BCN gives you 45 minutes to make the connection. Yikes!)

Thanks for your help, everyone. I guess if I just check all the websites every 4 minutes for a few days, I'll find a decent option!
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:28 PM

Barcelona & it's nearby airports of Girona & Reus are popular low costs airline destinations. So consider getting a flight to any of the destination airports in the following links. Just don't take any connection that involves a change of airport especially if the airline involved is Ryanair.

www.whichbudget.com/en/cheapflights.php?from=BCN
www.whichbudget.com/en/cheapflights.php?from=GRO
http://www.whichbudget.com/en/cheapflights.php?from=REU
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Okay, so I finally searched "all carriers" on aa.com by schedule and told it to give me 50 options. I found a great, convenient option....$1800 per person! Now I do know that decent flights exist...I'll just have to get the ticket price down by about $1000 each! (note that the horrible times on BA were less than $600 per ticket...surprise!)
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:37 PM

The staralliance website gives you the routes - you go to the carrier website to book

when is Spring break?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO