Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone every taken the ferry from Ancona, Italy to Split, Croatia? Tell me more

Has anyone every taken the ferry from Ancona, Italy to Split, Croatia? Tell me more

Nov 29th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

I need to get from Montpellier, France, to Croatia next summer, and I was planning to take this ferry from Italy. I would get to Italy by train. Any better suggestions? France just doesn't seem to have the budget airlines.
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:47 AM

It has a lot of budget airlines, but not many go directly to Croatia.

SkyEurope flies from Orly to Prague, and has flights from Prague to Dubrovnik. This *could* be easier/cheaper than the train/ferry option depending on the flight schedule.

Croatia Airlines flies out of CDG and has nonstops to Zagreb. It seems to cost around $310-$350. They aren't offering summer deals yet.

There's also a fast ferry from Venice to Istria (Rovinj/Porec/Pula) available in the summer.
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:01 AM

wally:
We did just that a few years ago...after spending a week driving Umbria (even visited San Marino), we drove down rhe coast to Ancona, turned in the car and had made reservations a month before for the overnight ferry to Zadar, where had reserved a car (Budget) and drove on to Plitvice in time for lunch.

The ferries are clean, good-sized staterooms, and fun, with breakfast included. I think you can get one directly to Split, but Zadar was the only one available from Ancona then.

Go to the Jadrolinija web site for schedule and reservations. If I recall, the cost was $75.

http://www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?lang=2

I suggest telephoning the number on the web site...easy to get through and within three minutes we had the reservation, and in one day we received the confirmation.

Stu T.
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your great responses. Such a specific question, I didn't really expect any.

Thanks again. I just hit the print button.
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:28 AM

wally:

In checking the web page I find the rate is now $112 per person. Figure you save on a hotel that night.

Stu t.
Nov 29th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Jadrolinija (www.jadrolinija.hr) runs from Ancona to Split or Zadar, and in summer also from Pescara to Split, with some sailings from Italy to Hvar (Stari Grad).
Blue Line (www.blueline-ferries.com) runs from Ancona to Split, with a few summer sailings to Hvar (Stari Grad) or Vis.
Most sailings are overnight and fares vary according to the season and type of accommodation. The ships have restaurants and bars. Cabin passengers with Jadrolinija get a free breakfast.
Nov 29th, 2007, 02:53 PM

I will be traveling from Montpelier to Rome in June next year. I plan to take the train to Toulon and then flying via Air One to Rome (http://www.flyairone.it/en/). The cost is 65 Euros. It is a 60 minute flight.